Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Accountant recommendations / One off (ish) tax return
  • flannol
    Free Member

I’m probably not the only one, so hopefully this helps other people, too!

I’m a small sole trader who has done his own accounts until now because my business is so simple (invoices/expenses).

However this year (technically two tax years) has thrown in a PAYE element thanks to covid – Tesco part time driving – so I’d like to get my return done with an accountant this year.

So I’m looking for recommendations / any accountants here who would be happy to take on one-off accounts. (May continue in the future, but my pressing thing right now is just getting these returns right).

I won’t bore with the details but it would be 19-20 return, and also 20-21 in a few months time. There’s a slight twist in that my PAYE employer have returned tax to me that I SHOULD be paying – I must be on an incorrect tax code due to such low turnover in the past. I’ve put money aside.

I have very good, labelled/numbered digital records and can present them in whatever format is best for the accountant.

Cheers!

dogbone

We have just moved to (‘we’ being a 2 person Ltd company);

http://www.chrismattostax.co.uk

and really wish we had switched to them ages ago. Really helpful and easy to deal with.

IHN

Have you tried doing it yourself? It really shouldn’t be that hard, it’s just putting numbers in boxes (income from trading, expenses from trading, income from PAYE, tax paid from PAYE) and you sound organised enough to know what those numbers are already have have done your own in the past.

MrsIHN’s in a similar position in that she has PAYE income and a second income from a sole trader setup. She did her own return last week, took her about an hour and she’d never seen a tax return before in her life.

flannol
    Free Member

Cheers for the recommendation

Also, cheers for the suggestion of doing it myself. This was more running it through an accountant to give HMRC less of a reason to ‘look into my accounts’ (not that they’d have a problem with any of it, but I’d rather just not have that fuss on my plate). But tbh, yeah I’ll do this one on my own if it is literally just filling in an extra two fields. Cheers!

poolman
    Free Member

I would do it myself, call HMRC advice line they are very good. All you are effectively doing is adding 1 more source of earnings and had some tax deducted at source.

Even I do mine, first year a bit more difficult as you have to find out which numbers go in which boxes, after that it’s easy as the boxes rarely change.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Accountant recommendations / One off (ish) tax return’ is closed to new replies.