• This topic has 104 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Ambulance given parking ticket
  • v8ninety

It would be a damn quiet shift if you managed to go 12 hours without going back to the hospital to refill.

With a 60% plus non conveyance rate across the board, some crews get through several shifts without seeing an ED.

Drac

Try not to confuse them V8.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Would it be ok to ticket a lorry driver/van driver/taxi driver etc in the same situation*? I imagine they face similar problems with staying hydrated in hot weather.

The situation being ‘driver thirsty’ not ‘driver saving someone’s life’, ‘cos that’s obviously different.

poah
    Free Member

if they are not there on an emergency they shouldn’t have parked where they did.

Drac

Do they have only a few seconds to get mobile between calls. Taxis also tend to fit into parking spaces.  Add to that given the number of vans and lorries parked on double yellows to drop off supplies for shops it seems it is Ok.

MrPottatoHead

I’m all for them parking wherever they need to be for a quick getaway – if that means double yellows right opposite the exit then so be it.  Bit confused why anyone would want it any other way.

convert

With a 60% plus non conveyance rate across the board, some crews get through several shifts without seeing an ED.

Try not to confuse them V8.

I’ll rise to the bait/challenge! Assume the non conveyance rate was actually as high as 70%. After 6 jobs (I’m sure there is a fancy word for this) in a 12 hour shift the chance of the crew not having a trip to somewhere is 12%.

I played the video again – actually that’s one of those stupid car parks where larger vehicles can’t use multiple bays when they have to. As a sometime driver of camper and minibus they annoy me lots.All supermarket carparks should have a few XL bays for lwb vans and the like so they can park without getting in the way.

Drac

After 6 jobs (I’m sure there is a fancy word for this) in a 12 hour shift the chance of the crew not having a trip to somewhere is 12%.

Pleae show your working out.

convert

0.7*0.7*0.7*0.7*0.7*0.7=0.117649

The chance of ‘several (read 3) shifts without seeing an ED’ is actually 0.16%, i.e. slim to none.

theotherjonv

0.7 chance of a non conveyance

chance of a second = 0.7 x 0.7

chance of n non conveyances = 0.7^n

If n=6, chance = 0.117 or 12%

Still shouldn’t have given a ticket; however unless his firm had instructed to that effect what’s he to do. Apply discretion? Who decides what discretion is or isn’t allowed?

Also – those that say emergency vehicles can park on double yellows. This was in a car park, on private land – within reason you can set your own rules there, ‘normal’ road laws don’t apply.

Drac

Errrr! You’re talking odds there it’s not a bet.

Public car parks adopt highways regulations.

theotherjonv

I don’t get your point about a bet vs odds. It’s a probability calculation, there’s a 12% chance that you’ll get 6 non-conveyance calls in a row, assuming a 70% chance that a call is a non-conveyance and that each call is randomly assigned.

As to it being a public car park. Technically I don’t think it is……. from the BBC article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-44951324

Where can an ambulance park?

Cheshire West and Chester Council’s traffic regulation order makes emergency service vehicles exempt from parking restrictions but private property is “outside the scope” of its enforcement action.

The British Parking Association’s (BPA) code of contact advises its members to “respect the needs of the emergency services” and allow them to carry out their duties without enforcement action being taken against them.

“This means that you must not issue parking charge notices to liveried vehicles being used for operational fire, police or ambulance purposes,” the code states.

Euro Parking Services is not listed as a member of the BPA

convert

Errrr! You’re talking odds there it’s not a bet.

Stick to driving ambulances! 😉

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I got as far as where it said it was a facebook video then stopped reading. Some people need to start doing useful things with their lives rather than wasting time making videos of things like this, it’s not even worth putting in the news.

Emergency services have a tough enough job as it is with long hours and having to take breaks when they can, and an ambulance isn’t the easiest thing to find a space for. As long as they don’t cause an obstruction they should be able to park wherever emergency or not, I’m sure there’s a lot worse things than this going on that would be more worthy of people getting angry about!

ads678

If I ever need one, I’d rather be seen to by a refreshed paramedic rather than one that’s dehydrated!!

MSP

I would rather rules applied to everyone, with practical exemptions based on situation, not because someone has a particular job.

There also seems to be a mythology that just because they are in the emergency services they must work harder than everyone else and be exhausted, and that doesn’t mean it can’t be a difficult job.

rene59
    Free Member

I often wonder what kind of person doesn’t move out the way to let an ambulance past on the road. See it more and more often. I’ll bet it’s the same kind of person who moans about how an ambulance is parked in a supermarket carpark.

funkmasterp

Well Mrs Smith we’re really sorry that your husband is dead, but we had to run a mile back to the ambulance. We needed to get water and there was no suitable parking near the shop. Could’ve got a ticket if we’d just nipped in. If it’s any consolation Mr  Smith is the third parking related death this week.

theotherjonv

“Well Mrs Smith we’re really sorry that your husband got badly burnt, but the hoses weren’t long enough to run from the appliance, where we couldn’t get past the vehicle that was parked on the yellow lines causing an obstruction, and by the time we’d found the crew it was too late.

If it’s any consolation the ambulance crew know they’re not supposed to park on double yellows but they were going to get water, and it is an important job, so they won’t get a ticket for it.”

The restrictions are there for a reason and while I’m aware it’s a difficult job, one that I have no higher praise for and one I couldn’t do, that doesn’t mean they can’t be wrong on occasions. Maybe this wasn’t such a case but we’re now into playing whataboutery.

A ticket was issued (as per previous post, correctly, according to the instructions given to the attendant at the time – if anyone needs a telling off it’s his firm for not making it clear that emergency vehicles shouldn’t be ticketed). The parking company has subsequently said that it was wrong and cancelled it. Job done. The crew member behaved like a bit of a nob, if you ask me. The people on social media abusing the attendant and ‘hoping’ he gets injured and needs an ambulance one day that doesn’t come – need to have a look at themselves.

But there’s y^n chance of that happening, where y is the chance of one person having a look at themeselves (ie very small) and n is a lot of social media idiots out there, ie very large 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m firmly in the group that says…

Whilst in service of active duty, they can park wherever they like.

That means on service (as in clocked in, on call/off call) either enacting emergency or not and whilst driving a liveried emergency service vehicle.

Park where they like.

If they are not on service, they shouldn’t be in a liveried vehicle. Theyreby the rules don’t apply.

I am in support of SRNs/Midwives/Doctors who also use thier own vehicle for visits, again whilst in active service they should be able to park where they like but there should be a sign/notice in plain sight stating they are on call.

I’m not surprised the CarPark owners are backing down over this, it’s not even a story and serves to prove some people are more bothered about gaining social media fame than assisting or helping those in the Services whilst on duty.

bruneep

“Well Mrs Smith we’re really sorry that your husband got badly burnt, but…..

……we the government have cut the numbers of  emergency services in half along with tbe bin men. It was the will of those on STW and  the great uninformed public who know how to run everyone’s job better than those who do it.

kerley
    Free Member

On the zig zags of a crossing, in a bus lane, on a roundabout ?

I get thirsty when I am driving sometimes.  I just live with it and get a drink at next opportunity (maybe an hour or two later).  I am not at the point of close to dying without water so need to make an emergency of it as I am sure they weren’t.

sbob
    Free Member

Well Mrs Smith we’re really sorry that your husband is dead, but we had to run a mile back to the ambulance.

Bingo.

Some people really struggle with accepting that other people have more important jobs than they do and get to do things they can’t.

theotherjonv

Nope – not somewhere that causes an obstruction that causes danger.

Inconvenience – I can live with.

But that’s common sense, and we don’t do common sense any longer, it seems.

angeldust
    Free Member

Some people really struggle with accepting that other people have more important jobs than they do and get to do things they can’t.

Is that something stuck on your lip?

Drac

Nope – not somewhere that causes an obstruction that causes danger.

Inconvenience – I can live with.

In this case it was inconvenience.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well Mrs Smith we’re really sorry that your husband is dead, but we had to run a mile back to the ambulance.

Bingo.

While others suffer from an over active imagination, bet you are the one who wants to consider alien invasion during an earthquake in the risk assessments.

What it really comes down to is common sense on all sides, if you go with the we can so we will park there every time then it’s going to wind people up.If you then try and extrapolate a pointless example which would never happen your not convincing anyone

Well Mrs Smith we’re really sorry that your husband is dead, but I was taking a dump when the call came in

chestrockwell

This thread is a great STW example of people arguing just for the sake of arguing. Can’t you lot find anything more constructive to do with your time?

theotherjonv

I know.

I was responding to another post that said they can park ‘anywhere they like’ while they go to get water. I disagree with that.

poah
    Free Member

having an important job does not mean you get to flout rules

Drac

This thread is a great STW example of people arguing just for the sake of arguing. Can’t you lot find anything more constructive to do with your time?

What is the probability of that?

theotherjonv

y^n where y and n are defined as before 😉

angeldust
    Free Member

While others suffer from an over active imagination, bet you are the one who wants to consider alien invasion during an earthquake in the risk assessments.

🙂

having an important job does not mean you get to flout rules

Don’t you know who I am?

angeldust
    Free Member

Would have been more constructive not to make any comment at all then, wouldn’t it?  If we took that approach the forum would die even quicker than it already is.

Drac

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’m almost going to call troll on that…

Plenty other people are part of the same system, they are equally important.

Someone has to service the ambulance, or it won’t work. Someone else has to stack water into the fridges so the thirsty driver can have a drink. Someone else has to pump the oil out of the ground so that the ambulance has something to run on.

The system falls down if one part of the chain doesn’t work. Do all of the above people also get to park on double yellows?

theotherjonv

‘I’m in an ambulance so i can park wherever I like. I’ll only be a few minutes and this forecourt looks nice and empty’

Guildford Fire Station

Drac

That empty bay is where the ambulance was parked 10 hours ago, they’ll have to be quiet when they come back so not to wake firefighters.

Someone has to service the ambulance, or it won’t work. Someone else has to stack water into the fridges so the thirsty driver can have a drink. Someone else has to pump the oil out of the ground so that the ambulance has something to run on.

The system falls down if one part of the chain doesn’t work. Do all of the above people also get to park on double yellows?

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/601/1*2Xia60KgHqhEx9TnT9naIg.jpeg

theotherjonv

The empty bay is waiting for the fire engine to come back from a shout, but it’s been blocked in by the Ginster’s man delivering pasties to the shop, that will be bought later on by a policeman.

surfer
    Free Member

These things are always a judgement call but that doesnt stop the pitchfork brigade on Twitter.

In my view she could have easily parked in the car park which was only a 25m walk away. Those yellows are right outside the door and although not an obstruction to cars, people crossing would have been unsighted, The driver should have considered that. I would have turned a blind eye if I was the attendant although he was not wrong in my view. I would have punched the gobby arse with the camera and as above the paramedic came across badly, its not her NHS!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Ambulance given parking ticket’ is closed to new replies.