• This topic has 104 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Ambulance given parking ticket
  • MSP

At first sight it looks like an over zealous traffic warden/attendant, but on second thoughts they are on a break, not on an operational business, the parking ticket should have stood.

IMO when emergency services bend the law for their convenience, they train the public to disregard them when it is an emergency.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-44951324

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unless it’s got so bad we are sending ambulances out on their own isn’t standard procedure one stays in the van ready to flash the lights if the rozzers turn up?

Simple fact there are double yellows there for a reason, parking on them isn’t allowed unless in an emergency so don’t park there.

ninfan
    Free Member

tomhoward

How did the attendant know they weren’t at an emergency?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lucky guess? No lights? Nobody laying on the floor with people running around?

They got it right though. If it was an emergency then they could have got the ticket cancelled easy enough though.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m not totally against them parking whilst grabbing a snack given as they may be called to an emergency at any time but as Mike say’s the double yellow lines are there for a reason…  one of the major reasons being safety…

I saw this last night and had mixed feelings… as many traffic wardens seem to be paid by the ticket and can act like nobs… but really in this instance I think they should be setting an example.  The traffic warden could still be acting like a nob… I saw his without sound…

Drac

Simple fact there are double yellows there for a reason, parking on them isn’t allowed unless in an emergency so don’t park there.

Nope the law doesn’t specify that. Anyway the company cancelled the ticket.

https://emergencyservices.media/?p=2325

convert

Saw this this morning and the headline rather hypes the story – I was all ready for reading about our heroes in the supermarket doing CPR whilst they got got. But it’s not quite the same when they are in the shop buying a drink.

As owner of a large van that takes up 4 bays I appreciate it can be a bit of a mare parking up in a supermarket car park. Only mitigating circumstance I can think of was that if they were still on call if they had to park up at the other end of the car park it might have delayed their ability to get on with their job.

Also, it’s a bit shit being sent out in the weather we are having without enough water for a shift.

The traffic warden could still be acting like a nob… I saw his without sound…

To be fair to him he was the most professional of the three in the video (paramedic, member of public doing the filming). Paramedic’s parting shot was “well if you ever need an ambulance”…shrug of shoulders, clearly implying she would not be rushing. She could have come over better.

Drac

Only mitigating circumstance I can think of was that if they were still on call if they had to park up at the other end of the car park it might have delayed their ability to get on with their job.

They were on duty yes staff tend not drive around in ambulances when they’re off duty.

Also, it’s a bit shit being sent out in the weather we are having without enough water for a shift.

How much is enough, where do they store it and what happens if they run out?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How much is enough, where do they stock it and what happens if they run?

Do they go out solo these days Drac?

convert

They were on duty yes staff tend not drive around in ambulances when they’re off duty.

Sorry, don’t know how it works (clearly you do so ta) – thought they might get stood down for 15mins for a statutory break or meal or whatever and then get put back on response or whatever it’s called.

rene59
    Free Member

Where do they go to do the toilet?

Drac

Do they go out solo these days Drac?

Some so some don’t but the law is the same for both.

Sorry, don’t know how it works (clearly you do so ta) – thought they might get stood down for 15mins for a statutory break or meal or whatever and then get put back on response or whatever it’s called.

Depends on the trust but in simple terms if they’re still on the vehicle and not back to base they’re available. Even when back to base for a break crews can chose to respond.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and also as to what to do if you run out then petrol stations tend to be very common and easy to park in for a quick stop if you are alone and don’t have somebody to wait with the vehicle or drive a lap of the car park.

As a policy having a drinking water station at A&E for staff to refill would certainly be a great idea rather than handing out plastic bottles

Edit – what is the law can’t find a definitive reference but this is a guidance

https://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/500345/parking_restrictions/328/parking_restrictions/3

<h2>Parking on single and double yellow lines</h2>
    Single yellow line restrictions vary across Manchester so check the street signs where you’re parking for regulation and enforcement information.

In the City Centre, where we enforce the Controlled Parking Zone, you cannot park on a single yellow line between 8.00am and 8.00pm.

Parking on double yellow lines however is not permitted at any time of the day or night – weekdays or weekends – although there are exceptions for Blue Badge holders.

The exception for loading

<p class=”text_align_left”>What is loading?</p>
    There is an exemption in some Traffic Orders to allow vehicles to stop to load or unload, often on single or double yellow lines. However, use of a vehicle must be necessary, and while you can load or unload for as long as it takes, your vehicle must be moved immediately after you have finished loading or unloading.

Loading or unloading is observed.  A Civil Enforcement Officer may issue a parking ticket, if the loading or unloading is not reasonable. This will be done in accordance with the Traffic Order exemption.

For loading and unloading on single or double yellow lines, please check signs for restrictions in the area.

The exemption for loading needs to be signed, so does an Ambulance count as a defacto Blue Badge at all times or is there another exception?

scotroutes

Where do they go to do the toilet?

You know when they hook you up to a saline drip?

Drac

and also as to what to do if you run out then petrol stations tend to be very common and easy to park in for a quick stop if you are alone and don’t have somebody to wait with the vehicle or drive a lap of the car park.

The perfect world ay.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

To be fair in most normal jobs when you go on a lunch break, the clock starts then you go shopping on your own time if you’ve not got a packed lunch.

Not finish what your doing, then use the company van to pop to tescos hoping the boss doesn’t call for a few minutes, then drive back to the office before telling your boss your going on your break.

Substitute boss for control room and company van for big yellow taxi.

That’s pretty much the gist of it, control ask them to go on a break as it’s quiet(ish) so they head back to the station, they radio control to say they’re on a break.

That’s how it’s supposed to work anyway, if they have to take a break away from the station or if there’s an emergency that disturbs the break they get an allowance to get take out.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Typically, the traffic regulation order supporting the double yellow lines with have a list of exceptions. When I used to write these, there were exceptions for statutory undertakers and emergency vehicles. We split emergency vehicles into three categories, emergency response, blues and two, or normal duties.

What was excluded could change from order to order, but most technical officers would include all classes as a matter of course.

There’s a good chance there were excluded and with the right appeal, could have overturned this.

Drac

Ok.

Some trusts have vehicles that are out all day, they have designated standby areas and rest areas. The crew may have left a hospital to attend a standby area, these standby area may just be a car park and have no facilities. It’s likely they’ve decided that they like other humans need food and water so made a quick stop. Then Mr Jobsworth decided to place a ticket on the vehicle.

To be fair in most normal jobs when you go on a lunch break, the clock starts then you go shopping on your own time if you’ve not got a packed lunch.

Not finish what your doing, then use the company van to pop to tescos hoping the boss doesn’t call for a few minutes, then drive back to the office before telling your boss your going on your break.

And that is right load of bollock the amount of company vehicles and staff reguarly in shops certainly kills that argument

To be fair in most normal jobs you won’t get a call where you have 45 seconds to be mobile and travelling to even when on your break.

That’s pretty much the gist of it, control ask them to go on a break as it’s quiet(ish) so they head back to the station, they radio control to say they’re on a break.

Not in all trust and not if the crews opt in to respond to certain calls.

Drac

There’s a good chance there were excluded and with the right appeal, could have overturned this.

It has the company cancelled it as soon as they were informed.

tthew

That car park is close to my house. Bays are tiny, (in the full video there’s a second smaller ambulance parked in a disabled bay, but that clears off pretty quickly).

They are double yellows, but there is plenty of road width to get past.

Parking bloke is technically correct, but should have used a bit of common sense/discretion.

rene59
    Free Member

I’d be checking her timesheets. One minute she has been on since quarter to seven in the morning, next it was since half six.

CountZero

Some trusts have vehicles that are out all day, they have designated standby areas and rest areas. The crew may have left a hospital to attend a standby area, these standby area may just be a car park and have no facilities. It’s likely they’ve decided that they like other humans need food and water so made a quick stop.

This is how the local ambulances work, AFAIK, they don’t sit in the station waiting for a shout, like fire engines do, they’re out on the road for an entire shift, so they have to get refreshments as and where they can find them, depending on location.

oldtennisshoes

MSP +1

convert

How much is enough, where do they store it and what happens if they run out?

I’d go for 0.5L per person per hour for every hour you’d expect to be away from the hospital to fill up. If I can carry enough on my bike, you’d hope you could squeeze it on somewhere on an ambulance. Never thought about it but fire crew must get drinkable water supplies on board considering how hot they must get and how physical it could get.

Drac

I’d go for 0.5L per person per hour for every hour you’d expect to be away from the hospital to fill up. If I can carry enough on my bike, you’d hope you could squeeze it on somewhere on an ambulance.

You’d be surprised how little room there is, most crews do 12 hours.

Never thought about it but fire crew must get drinkable water supplies on board considering how hot they must get and how physical it could get.

Service in this area will send out a supply truck with refreshments on board after 3 hours. IIRC.

convert

most crews do 12 hours.

It would be a damn quiet shift if you managed to go 12 hours without going back to the hospital to refill.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It would be a damn quiet shift if you managed to go 12 hours without going back to the hospital to refill.

Maybe they drop them somewhere else 😉 Need something to wash the pies down

Drac

What makes you think they can refill at hospitals?

convert

What makes you think they can refill at hospitals?

To be honest I’m not that interested in what they can currently do or even what the current design of the ambulance is. I’m more interested in what they should be able to do and how the ambulance should be designed. That’s how you make progress (and not have ambulances parked up outside Tesco on double yellows trying to get water!).

My original comment about water was not a criticism of the crew, more a comment on the whole structure.

bruneep

yeah we carry drinking water as ever in this weather it’s never enough. space is at a premium in the appliance.

we are available for calls all the time when we are on shift. Get a turnout during a meal, tough we gotta go. come back an hour or later and your meal doesn’t look so tasty sat out in this weather. We then have to trundle off to nearest shop to get stuff to eat get. We get no repayment for a spoiled meal any we take to work we pay for some days pay for your meal twice over.

Drac

To be honest I’m not that interested in what they can currently do or even what the current design of the ambulance is. I’m more interested in what they should be able to do and how the ambulance should be designed. That’s how you make progress (and not have ambulances parked up outside Tesco on double yellows trying to get water!).

Ok but meanwhile I’m happy for crews to call and get themselves some basic supplies, I’m sure no one bregrudges teachers having a coffee during their breaks.

convert

I’m sure no one bregrudges teachers having a coffee during their breaks.

But if we all ****** off to Tesco for it and let the kids run riot, there’d be hell to pay 😉

bruneep

I’m sure no one bregrudges begrudges teachers having a coffee during their breaks.

Ha ha ha are you new here?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ok but meanwhile I’m happy for crews to call and get themselves some basic supplies,

Don’t think anyone is. just really a question about parking.

franksinatra

Right or wrong, legal or not, would you issue a ticket to a working paramedic crew? I creaky wouldn’t, mainly because I believe in karma…..

Drac

Don’t think anyone is. just really a question about parking.

Are you sure? Seems to be a lot of questions of why they needed to stop too. The company seen sense and dropped the ticket and have stated they will speak to staff to say not to ticket emergency vehicles on doubles.

taxi25
    Free Member

God there’s some male hens out on this thread 🙄🙄

It’s an ambulance, it wouldn’t fit in a parking bay and the crew needed some water FFS.

Drac

Ha ha ha are you new here?

Good point.

project
    Free Member

Driver of large van parks on yellow lines, traffic enforcement officer issues a ticket after numerous complaints to land owner and shop leaseholders about poor parking availability and dangerous parking, happens in a lot of out of town shopping parks, the poor chap is being ridiculed by the press and thick people for just doing his job, just perhaps with hindsight he should have used a bit of discretion and walked on for a bit.

End of a non story.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Ambulance given parking ticket’ is closed to new replies.