Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Abortion….
  • Cougar

I would suggest that most abortions are performed for convenience

I would suggest that… actually no, I’ll not be rude, I’d suggest that you cite a reference for that or recant it.

Apart from the few that are performed because there’s a genuine medical reason what other reason is there for having one other than convenience .

Quite right – rape victims should totally be forced to bring the results of their attack to term and love and care for it for the next decade and a half.

km79
    Free Member

98% of abortions in England and Wales in 2015 were carried out under ground C of the legislation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/570040/Updated_Abortion_Statistics_2015.pdf

C the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman (section 1(1)(a))

Of this 98%

The vast majority (99.95%) of ground C only terminations were reported as being performed because of a risk to the woman’s mental health. No further breakdown for F99 (mental disorder, not otherwise specified) is included in the International Classification of Diseases and therefore no further breakdown is possible within the report.

It’s not possible to say with any accuracy whether or not most abortions are performed for convenience. It is possible to say that most are carried out for mental health reasons.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Well mental health is a rather vague term that can encompass a whole load of reasons . This is an excerpt from the only study that I could find that actually gave a breakdown of reasons for abortion and it also was performed in the USA but I would suggest that the UK would be fairly similar . If you really want to read the whole thing just google reasons people have abortions .

The research into U.S. women’s reasons for having abortions has been limited. In a 1985 study of 500 women in Kansas, unreadiness to parent was the reason most often given for having an abortion, followed by lack of financial resources and absence of a partner.3 In 1987, a survey of 1,900 women at large abortion providers across the country found that women’s most common reasons for having an abortion were that having a baby would interfere with school, work or other responsibilities, and that they could not afford a child.4 Since

km79
    Free Member

Since ‘for convenience’ isn’t an option for having a legal abortion I am not surprised it’s difficult finding it in a breakdown of reasons.

mrmo
    Free Member

the argument about when life begins is irrelevant.

Some very very simple facts

Abortion has always happened, Abortion will always happen. Legal or illegal it has happened, happens and will continue to happen.

So you can make it safe, or you can put the lives of women at risk.

Your choice.

ratherbeintobago

Abortion has always happened, Abortion will always happen. Legal or illegal it has happened, happens and will continue to happen.

So you can make it safe, or you can put the lives of women at risk.

This was more or less what I was about to post.

jambalaya
    Free Member

very few women have an abortion for convenience.

I know of 3 abortions, one woman twice another once who had abortions as having a baby was not the lifestyle they wanted. Both had ample financial rescources and one was married.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

km79 – Member
    Since ‘for convenience’ isn’t an option for having a legal abortion I am not surprised it’s difficult finding it in a breakdown of reasons.

So would you consider that having abortions for the reasons quoted in my post are not reasons of convenience . Or were you just being a wise guy ?

ratherbeintobago

I suspect that ‘ample financial resources’ would also make it fairly easy to obtain a discreet and safe medical termination even if it was banned. There was a thing on the BBC website making exactly this point recently.

deviant
    Free Member

Mrs Deviant has had two.

Both for convenience I suppose, first was with a previous partner and they split up shortly after finding out she was pregnant and she didn’t want to be a single mother.

Second time was with me, we weren’t using protection at the time and although we’d been together a few years and had the funds to raise a child neither of us were interested. I was too into motorbikes, cycling, gym, kick boxing etc and Mrs Deviant was still besotted with horses…we could see our lives changing in a way neither of us wanted so….abortion time.

Easy really, catch it early enough and its a bundle of cells, no thought, no fully functioning nervous system etc….she just took a tablet and spent the day on the loo emptying her uterus into the gutter, job done.

It’s her body and nobody else’s business, and I’d happily extend the abortion limit closer to the due date without any feelings of guilt.

sweepy
    Free Member

I would not want the limit nearer term ideally. I think if it was easier to get it early, no mucking about- down the pharmacy or gp and thats it, then there would be less need.
    Putting obstacles in the way means a much more traumatic procedure later on.
    And I don’t see why we expect women to be wracked with remorse and guilt either.
    What Trump has done is shameful, particularly as he knows it will only affect the poor and vulnerable- If his daughter ever wants an abortion she’ll get one no worries.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I have no issue with abortions for convenience. It’s better than bringing an unwanted child into the world.

RustySpanner

Not allowing women control over their fertility is a means of excercising power.

This is nothing to do with foetuses.
    It is about showing women who is in charge.

Abortion should be a matter decided between a woman and her doctor.

I have no idea why some people are so happy to involve themselves in the reproductive rights of others.

No matter how much you believe it to be your business, it isn’t.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@deviant I acknowledge you being so open about a complex subject.

On term limit very premature babies are now surving and modern technology lets you see quite how developed a baby is at 20 or 24 weeks. Personally I think there is a strong argument for reducing the term limit not extending it.

Rusty it depends on when you think life begins. You are not allowed the murder your 6 month old as you’ve chnaged your mind about being a parent.

RustySpanner

No it doesn’t.
    It has nothing to do with when you or I think life begins, which is a pointless, unanswerable red herring of a question.

It has nothing to do with you or I at all.
    Our opinions on the subject are unwanted, irrelevant and unhelpful.

Give the choice to women and stop interfering.

totalshell

mrs tts is your local chemist..She hands out the morning after pill several times a day. her pharmacy is 500 yds from two secondary schools. the majority of her patients are pupils often below 16. the spectrum she describes though covers the whole of society from the young woman after a night out to married mums to middle aged singles. Mrs tts is a staunch catholic and finds it hard to reconcile with her religious beliefs as its clear to her that she is providing contraception of the last resort.
    mrs tts has had an abortion. It was a defining moment of her life. A decision she did not want to make nor one she took lightly. she made the correct decision for the baby herself and our other children. not a day goes by when we dont regret making that decision no matter how right it was. Absolutely abortion should be allowed it should be a womans free choice with term been decided as is at present.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Abortion….’ is closed to new replies.