Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • ABBA – Come on fess up
  • hora
    Free Member

Yes, I’ll come out of the decent music-closet and own up. The music is dated but the voices heavenly.

The ABBA Gold CD was in my car this morning 8)

uselesshippy
    Free Member

No no no.

BoardinBob

Worst band of all time (IMHO)

Can’t understand their popularity

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Worst band of all time? You have got to be kidding! Milli Vanilli? Spice girls?

A brilliant euro pop band. Catchy songs, lots of hits, longevity. No pretensions to be anything but a catchy pop band but boy were they good at it.

hora
    Free Member

Its the only LP that I nicked off my Mum and played.

MSP

Awful dull soulless music for dizzy blonds.

allthepies
    Free Member

A mate of mine is in an Abba tribute band, Abbalicious or something 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s&ob=av2n[/video]

binners

Its just an excuse for you to get your white flared jumpsuit on again, isn’t it?

DezB
    Free Member

Milli Vanilli? Spice girls?

A brilliant euro pop band.

And those 2 weren’t brilliant pop bands? Ok Milli Vanilla weren’t brilliant, but give me the Spice Girls over Abba any day.

ThePinkster

ABBA developed and used quite remarkable production and sound reproduction techniques that have very rarely been surpassed since, especially considering the recording technologies available at the time.

Kind of Phil Spector for the 70’s/80’s.

scaredypants

uselesshippy – Member
    No no no

scaredypants – Member
    No no no

uselesshippy – Member
    there’s no limit

😳

Edit – OMG, WTF, LOL, … look at Barnaby/Bertram/Billy (left of shot) in Binners’ pic up there ! The guy on the right looks alright but, jesus, that look wouldn’t have worked even on children’s TV of the time.

zippykona

I’ve lived through 3 Abba revivals I have no intention of enduring another one. Stop now.

hora
    Free Member

How can you compare the Spice Girls to Abba? Just because Abba’s ‘break’ was the Eurovision song contest shouldn’t in anyway dent their credibility.

One is endearing with immense longevity and the other is a manufactured UK-centric pop act that was good at the time for little girls to bop to.

Yes Abba’s music hasn’t aged well however as a package its eternal. They also retired at the right time.

…then I read the Milli Vanilla alongside and realised you were trolling 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

SOS is a brilliant song. I read an interview somewhere that said that Joe Strummer cited it as his favourite pop song.

BoardinBob

Worst band of all time? You have got to be kidding! Milli Vanilli? Spice girls?

Sorry, what I should have said is “worst band of all time that are considered credible”

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I like them. Got most of their stuff on CD and vinyl.

mintimperial

I’ve lived through 3 Abba revivals

Revivals? ABBA never really go away, they just flare* up from time to time. Like herpes.

My mum and dad played ABBA Gold endlessly in the car whilst I was a kid, along with Richard Clayderman and various Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals, which I think inoculated me completely against cheesy 70s music for the rest of my life. Can’t stand ’em.

*sorry.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Even worse, I kinda like the film. Its one of those things thats soooooooooo stupidly bad that you can’t take you’re eyes off it!

DezB
    Free Member

How can you compare the Spice Girls to Abba?

You might want to read the posts again. Nobody did that. Although I can compare them if you wish – Abba had 9 UK number ones, Spice girls had 9 number one singles.
    Thats about as interesting they are to me.

cranberry
    Free Member

This popped up on my playlist last week:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ90ZqH0PWI[/video]

hora
    Free Member

Abba has double the album sales worldwide but (I admit) what is amazing is even in SpiceGirls short window- their total is amazing in itself.

MSP

My mum and dad played ABBA Gold endlessly in the car whilst I was a kid, along with Richard Clayderman and various Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals, which I think inoculated me completely against cheesy 70s music for the rest of my life. Can’t stand ’em.

Yep that about sums up my childhood, I still haven’t forgiven my parents.

plumber
    Free Member

I love ABBA, genius song writers and producers – the boys

Fantastic voices, diction – the girls

I was so in love with the brunette girl when I was a kid

Plum

hels
    Free Member

My dad used to play Sergio Mendes and Brazil ’77 in the car, as his concession to children and “pop” music, and if we were very very lucky and especially well behaved (or if I had vommed enough to get some sympathy) the soundtrack from Grease. It was better than 8 hours of Beethoven all the way to Auckland.

I would have loved a bit of ABBA !!

RustySpanner

Everyone likes Abba, just like everyone really likes the Beatles.
    Some are too scared to admit it to themselves though 😀

Music is great.
    Musical snobbery is sad and pathetic.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s great music, you can’t deny the advances and quality IMO.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

wrong – I for one don’t like either, or Queen…

Coyote
    Free Member

Some are too scared to admit it to themselves though

Music is great.

Spot on!

Oh and plumber, I too had a crush on the brunette…

Bagstard
    Free Member

Abba, the carpenters, simon and garfunkel, mantovani were the mainstay of my early years and I still like them now. 😳

Lifer
    Free Member

ABBA are like a musical lobotomy.

yunki
    Free Member

spicegirls = hollyoaks
    abba = coronation street

pop music and soap operas = suicide

emsz
    Free Member

Luv abba. Great music

P20

When i was in high school the bloke running the youth block at dinner time where i played pool would only play abba. Every single day, i became used to. Not fussed either way now

Beagleboy

Guilty. 😳 Strangely enough, it’s always the first album to pop up on my iPod. 8)

Pigface
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner I loathe the Beatles just awful. They were good though cant deny that, I just hate them.

Calling ABBA crap is just daft, classic pop they wrote themselves. One of the drummers got to drive in F1 and another died in a bizare accident very rock and roll 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Some are too scared to admit it to themselves though
    Music is great.

I think you’re confusing “snobbery” with “taste”

perthmtb
    Free Member

Agnetha (the blond one) featured in most of my teenage fantasies 😯

MSP

just like everyone really likes the Beatles.

The beatles were alright when they went through their “stoned off their heads” phase, maybe abba should have done the same.

colonelwax
    Free Member

I like a lot of crap music, and have no problem admitting it. Well, maybe there’s some I’d rather keep to myself.

But I honestly don’t get how Abba are still so popular. Music for people that don’t like music? Dunno. Always thought of it as being the kind of stuff your Mum and Aunty’s would dance to at a wedding, but no-one actually likes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘ABBA – Come on fess up’ is closed to new replies.