Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • ABBA – Come on fess up
  • Cougar

I was brought up listening to ABBA as it one of my dad’s favourite bands. Not something I’d particularly listen to by choice these days, but I probably know most of the words to most of the songs these days.

Caught Bjorn Again at Download (I think, might’ve been Sonisphere) a couple of years ago; they went down surprisingly well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The reason ABBA are still popular is that they made well crafted inoffensive pop songs with catchy lyrics. Just very good at what they did

BoardinBob

One man’s well crafted inoffensive pop song is another man’s catterwauling dirge.

muckytee
    Free Member

heh, they’re alright. Just music that’s catchy and sounds ok, I wouldn’t purposefuly listen to it, but I wouldn’t say they are crap, same goes for the beatles and queen. I have pink floyd and lady gaga on the same ipod… so?

BoardinBob

I have pink floyd and lady gaga on the same ipod… so?

Ooh. Eclectic…

DezB
    Free Member

😆

toby1

I can’t stand Abba, I appreciate what is and what it’s for but personally I’d ram the CD or LP down your throat if you tried to play it to me for too long!

I prefer hardcore though or something with a bit more edge to it.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not a snob, I even listened to Radio 1 once 🙂

portlyone

One of my friends visited from Peru once and I counted my pennies and jumped on a train to go meet them her in the big smoke. Her one request was to go and see a “show”, while not my thing I agreed, I mean how bad could it be??

Mamma Mia!

Turns out my parents use of Guantanamo Bay tactics were successful and I knew every word of the songs.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Yup. Abba were ace. Proper musicians, making quality pop songs and non of that dreadful manufactured cowell owned crap.

You do have to look passed drunk aunts dancing at weddings and cheesy musicals though to see it.

Does your mother know. 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aXFwIgIzaU[/video]

unovolo
    Free Member

Love Abba ,another guilty pleasure is Barry Manilow!

Was listening to the Carpenters on the radio the other day and really enjoyed it ,must be cos I’m knocking on the door of 40.

daveb
    Free Member

Love em \m/

trailmonkey

Was listening to the Carpenters on the radio the other day and really enjoyed it

i think that the carpenters material is sickly sweet shmaltz of the worst possible kind – but karen carpenter’s voice is one of the most beautiful things i’ve ever heard.

tartanscarf

I love Abba, they are masters of pop music. Great hooks, melodies, voices, lyrics, production techniques etc. etc. etc.

TS

Oh yeah, I liked the blonde one too 🙂

PS Barry Manilow and the Carpenters are definite no’s though!

SaxonRider

ABBA were excellent at what they did, and surpass the likes of Spice Girls by far. The proof lies in the fact that we are arguing about them 37 years after ‘Waterloo’.

Their music is stage-musical quality, and while I can quite understand that not everyone is going to be into musicals, that they have emotional power can hardly be disputed.

toab
    Free Member

I’m playing an Abba tribute night (not a big fan but thought it should be fun).

It’s on the 4th of may at the Rising Sun Arts Centre in Reading from 8 if anyone’s interested. 10 bands, 24 songsand all procedes to support the arts centre.

(appologies for shameless plug)

chewkw
    Free Member

ABBA, Bee Gees and Blondie … they are the best bands in the world end off.

Everyone likes Abba, just like everyone really likes the Beatles.
    Some are too scared to admit it to themselves though
    Music is great.
    Musical snobbery is sad and pathetic.

Beatles? … shite. Paul McShite is still alive I think …

I have to say all you have very poor maggot music taste … pink floyd … shite … who else? Oh they are shite too.

Queen is alright but now it is shite without Freddie Mecury …

What say you? Shite …

What rap music? Shite …

Lifer
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member
    that they have emotional power can hardly be disputed.

They had as much emotional power as an episode of On the Buses.

bikebouy
    Free Member

There are a good few tracks ABBA did really well, y’know the popular stuff, singles mostly. But have you really listened to some of the albums, well some of them there songs ain’t the best thing this side of the ranch.

Soooo for that reason I’m a fan of the singles and popular stuff, appreciate all they have done for the PoP world, without them we’d be in a slightly non harmonic place, which if you’ve listened to a band called Cancer (yes I’ll have to admit I have, as I know the bass player/drummer and singist) you’ll understand the beauty of harmony.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2UiwYpqTKA&feature=related[/video]

See what I mean..

Thanks ABBA

SaxonRider

Lifer – Member

SaxonRider – Member
    that they have emotional power can hardly be disputed.

They had as much emotional power as an episode of On the Buses.

I was talking about musicals having emotional power.

Lifer
    Free Member

Oh, in that case 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

bikebouy

Funny thing is that my cousin is a drummer for a death metal band … lol … his music taste is still shite regardless of his machine gun drumming technique … bloody nancy boy …

fairhurst
    Free Member

such beautiful music..they dont make it like that no more.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well the Drummer in that band is called Carl (surname held for obvious reasons) He’s actually pretty good all told, started out in a band I used to play in and out of all of us I have to say he was the one with the drive and initiative to become a pro at it.
    He’s pretty handy with a spray gun too.
    He’s a nice bloke n’all.

Music stinks mind.

No Dancing Queen though, Drama Queen well yes.

unovolo
    Free Member

PS Barry Manilow and the Carpenters are definite no’s though!

‘Could it be Magic’ is a classic , have a listen now and tell me I’m wrong.

benz
    Free Member

Was a kid when Abba were really popular, and did not get them then, apart from the dark haired lady who has matured elegantly.

However Summer Night City is fantastic.

That said I also enjoy Chic and loved Spacer by Sheila B Devotion. Earth Wind & Fire. Donna Summer.

Part of an eclectic music appreciation.

Some of the STW massive chill out and accept (also not a bad band in my opinion…..) that other tastes are also valid.

RustySpanner

Ah, this thread is superb.
    From the young, way too cool hipsters to the failed, cynical, bitter ex musos, it’s got everything.

Music is just noise – some of it you like, some you don’t. 😀

Dez & benz are right, it’s simply a matter of taste – and no one’s is more valid than anyone elses.
    Sorry for stirring, but when it comes to music I can’t help it. 😐

I’m off to listen to a bit of The Band:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOi0tC00Luc&feature=related[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WMBYQL14U[/video]

G’night Levon.
    Ta.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Always loved ABBA tunes. Bit of a contrast with my usual diet of folk, metal and prog!

And don’t dis Karen Carpenter.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bitter ex muso, what moi? I’m having none of it, “slams guitar on floor and storms out of forum”

chives
    Free Member

My mates older sister took us to see ‘ABBA the Movie at the flicks in Stourbridge, (showing my age now), and I’ve been a fan ever since. (should admit at this point that I was quite a fan of his older sister, in a young crush kinda way).

Colnel Wax – if you like it, why’s it crap??

mildred

I’m not sure I actually like Abba though I don’t particularly dislike them either. I think what I like about them is the mnemonic effect; their songs instantly take me back to my childhood. It’s odd, I like the effect of the music but not the music itself. Even weirder though was hearing John Denver’s Country Roads the other day – I dint even know that I knew all the words. In fact, I didn’t even realise iwas having a good old sing song until someone pointed it out.

fairhurst
    Free Member

the winner takes it all..
    beautiful song,superbly produced and written masterpiece

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘ABBA – Come on fess up’ is closed to new replies.