Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)
  • Aaron Gwin is insane
  • Even Mrs STR appreciated the excellence of Gwin’s run

JCL
    Free Member

26″ wheel in 1st and 2nd…. just saying

Overall leader 650b…

Yeah well done to Gwin. Don’t worry though, he’ll praise Jesus next time he wins and everyone will hate him again.

kayak23

Yeah well done to Gwin. Don’t worry though, he’ll praise Jesus next time he wins and everyone will hate him again.

Obviously ‘God’ isn’t too bothered about his minions getting punctures. He probably works in mysterious ways or something 😀

Gwinnie did well to hold that though God or no God…

MSP

And kudos to Minaar for devotion to charity, flying out to London straight after.

I found that a bit odd, private helicopter to Munich, then flight to London, I did wonder if the cost would actually be matched by the money raised.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I would like to think either Greg or Samuel L Jackson personally footed that bill.

In any case, imagine last night’s party.

mindmap3
    Free Member

That was some pretty impressive riding from Gwinn. I’m not a fan, but that was ace.

Brilliant to see Ratboy get hos first win. Troy seems to be in very good form too.

Well done Manon too.

Something isn’t clicking for the Athertons this season.

rocketman
    Free Member

“On song like an Austrian transvestite”

😆

roverpig

But did Ratboy sing the anthem?

MSP

Something isn’t clicking for the Athertons this season.

Rachel has been ill, in the mens I think Gee is topping the rankings but it is wide open, the last few years there only seemed to be 2 or 3 people likely to take the win at any race, this year it could be 1 of 10.

chakaping
    Free Member

Troy is top of the overall, according to the graphic at the end.

This looks like being the best season ever.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Obviously ‘God’ isn’t too bothered about his minions getting punctures. He probably works in mysterious ways or something

He doesn’t ride Minions, he uses Butchers…oh wait…

MSP

Troy is top of the overall, according to the graphic at the end.

ok, I was looking at the uci rankings, looks like it isn’t the same as who is leading the world cup rankings. Troy was wearing the leaders jersey yesterday, but I thought that result would probably knocked him off top spot.

Actually getting up to date information on who is leading is crap, the uci and the world cup race organisers could do a much better job of a website to keep the fans informed.

chakaping
    Free Member

ok, I was looking at the uci rankings, looks like it isn’t the same as who is leading the world cup rankings.

Yeah, this has been a bone of contention with some of the riders apparently, with some top 20 WC ranked riders not getting protected status if they crash in qualis.

andyrm
    Free Member

What is the reason Gwin has what seems to be some dislike? Is it the fact he believes in God (fair play to him), or that he is well paid (fair play to him) or something else?

tomlevell

World Cup results and standing go up very very rapidly on the UCI website.
    Finding them is tricky though as the website is bobbins for navigation.

General world rankings
    http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAMES/Template1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTY2MDM&LangId=1

World Cup rankings
    http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAMES/Template1/layout.asp?MenuId=MTcwNjc&LangId=1

PrinceJohn

What is the reason Gwin has what seems to be some dislike? Is it the fact he believes in God (fair play to him), or that he is well paid (fair play to him) or something else?

I think with me, it’s because he seemed to win everything for a year or so & anyone dominating in any sport makes it boring…

Trek might have a different take as to why they don’t like him…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What is the reason Gwin has what seems to be some dislike?

His total domination of the 2011 and 2012 seasons that made for quite a dull World Cup. A complete contrast to the wide open season this year (so far).

I also – rightly or wrongly – find his whole image somewhat at odds with the downhill scene. He looks like he should be wearing a cardigan and filing tax returns, not showing us all a masterclass in bike handling.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I guess it’s a few things – the move to Spesh was dealt with badly by all parties, he comes across as a bit dull and robotic and the last straw was the interview a few issues ago in Dirt and the whole faith thing mentioned for every answer. Some of which seemed a bit odd / OTT.

But he is a very good rider – you can’t argue with two seasons of domination.

scruff
    Free Member

Well, I think Gwinn earned a lot more fans yesterday.

Good to see two British winners in the UK media today (not even a mention on bike sites never mind BBC)

rocketman
    Free Member

He reminds me of Kenny Roberts. Laconic, slightly aloof, focussed. Same with a lot of the top guns

The way the courses are changing the athletes/professionals will have an advantage and the good ole boys (Bryceland, Hart Fairclough Peaty etc) will just be making up the numbers

andytherocketeer

World Cup results and standing go up very very rapidly on the UCI website.
    Finding them is tricky though as the website is bobbins for navigation.

not sure how quickly “very quickly” means, but when I looked yesterday the most recent update was 14th.

was certainly quicker and definitely easier to replay the video and skip to the end of each race to see the scores / standings.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The way the courses are changing the athletes/professionals will have an advantage and the good ole boys (Bryceland, Hart Fairclough Peaty etc) will just be making up the numbers

Can you explain?

Ta

andytherocketeer

a handful of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 7ths between them over the last few races is “making up the numbers”
    😉

chakaping
    Free Member

The way the courses are changing the athletes/professionals will have an advantage

The best and most-consistent guys all combine top fitness and amazing skills – Gee, Greg, Gwin, Stevie.

You clearly need both – plus nerves of steel – to win the overall.

AlexSimon

Don’t let the outward ‘all the lads’ image deceive you. These guys all take it very professionally in terms of training.

BoardinBob

a handful of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 7ths between them over the last few races is “making up the numbers”

And Peaty finished in 31st place but was only 7 seconds slower than Bryceland!

kayak23

andyrm – Member
    What is the reason Gwin has what seems to be some dislike?

I won’t lie, for me it’s the God thing. Makes me wince..
    Awesome rider, just that aspect of him makes me lose respect for him a little.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Great run, expect to see a wheel ad featuring it ! What a promo for the wheels.

Excellent to see Bryceland win, was gutted for him last week. I hope this is the start of a good run for him with the “first win monkey” off his back

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Kayak
    – so perhaps for you religion is like the new homosexuality, something best not mentioned ? I cannot understand how a belief in a value system, and one that has been around for 1000’s of years, causes you to lose respect for someone.

andyrm
    Free Member

Awesome rider, just that aspect of him makes me lose respect for him a little.

So we’re happy to accept a rider saying their energy drink makes them X% faster, or their new super part X helps increase gnar factor by Y% (obviously not 650B though as that is a contentious subject best discussed another time!!!! 😉 ), but a guy has a belief structure that makes him live (from what we see) a decent life as an individual, and gain mental strength as an athlete and it’s suddenly a bad thing?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^ not really the same comparison though, is it. I somehow doubt that Gwin is being paid a tonne of money by God to say nice things about him

cloudnine
    Free Member

Maybe its his belief in god that makes him so good. Jesus wont let me fall……… so he just guns it. How can you ride a DH cup run 40 secs off the pace with no tyre and not fall on your head… divine intervention.

DanW
    Free Member

I know it doesn’t need to be said again…. but that run was nuts!

Depends on your view
    Negative spin/ positive spin

Boring outcome of races/ Dominating everything
    Apparent dull personality/ kept himself to himself
    F’d over Trek for a big money deal at Spesh/ Was f’d over by the media making him look bad for nothing out of the ordinary
    Open about not wanting to be in MTB forever/ open and honest about his passion for everything two wheeled

It was certainly hard to get behind Gwin when he seemed to come from nowhere and dominate everything. He does seem a lot more outgoing now which I think has a lot to do with why people are warming to him. Listening to the Spesh videos, he comes across really well, clearly has a great passion for riding and is smart (in a racing sense) with it…

euans2
    Free Member

Why am I not a huge fan of Gwin?

1. Support the local guys
    2. All the puns linked to his name (they were funny at first… Not now)
    3. Spend any more than 5 mins on any pinkbike thread regarding DH and you just want to throttle most of his followers
    4. The whole transfer saga
    5. He’s a bloody good rider!

He has however gone up a bit imo after last weekends race.

packer
    Free Member

I too thought Gwin’s run was mental and couldn’t believe the wheel survived to the bottom.

Question:
    I thought a lot of the DH riders were running tubeless these days? Yet lots of people out with punctures in the last few races. I know tubeless can lose some air sometimes but it’s very hard to lose all of it isn’t it, so can’t the Gwin situation be avoided by going tubeless?

njee20
    Free Member

it’s very hard to lose all of it isn’t it

A hole is a hole, tubeless can be more puncture resistant, but there’s no inherent reason you’d lose less air with tubeless, the workout their tyres are getting I’d not expect sealant to do owt.

chakaping
    Free Member

Listening to the Spesh videos, he comes across really well,

The last one was very illuminating and honest about his approach to his race runs.

And I was pleased to see him genuinely delighted when Troy won at Fort Bill.

It’s clear now that his main advantage was mental, and he was just completely “on it” for two seasons. Can’t see his eight-second lead at Val Di Sole happening again now though…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If I can burp air out of tubeless tyres at the (low) speeds I’m riding, I imagine 5 minutes on full on DH would have those tyres burping like a kid in a fizzy pop factory.

Has anyone tried running tubular tyres for downhill and if so, are they any good? No burping of air and no pinch flats.

wordnumb
    Free Member

I thought the unenthusiasm toward Gwin was due to the colour of his hair, didn’t realise that people have genuine issues with the guy.

The footage from Fort Bill and Leogang this year has been excellent, but you still won’t catch me drinking Red Bull. I might consider buying a can if they let Warner push the boundaries a little – it was heart breaking to hear him apologise to anyone lip reading.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Gwin dominated ‘cos he’d not had his big smash, DH is all about confidence and he hadn’t taken his hard knock. We seen the same with Hill, we always get someone dominating until they have a big stack or the rest of the field catches up. The truly impressive riders are people like Minnaar who’ve been up against the best over and over again and kept stepping up.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Aaron Gwin is insane’ is closed to new replies.