Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A30 or A38 into Cornwall (Lizard)?
  • the-muffin-man

I’ve always gone A38 (A390) towards Helston as I’d rather be moving than stuck in traffic – but a friend has told me today that the A30 is a lot lot better than it used to be.

Is he telling me lies!? 😀

TheDTs
    Free Member

Depends where from. A30 is nearly all dual lane now.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Depends where from. A30 is nearly all dual lane now.

the-muffin-man

From Exeter

rob2
    Free Member

A30 (then a39 I always find). Hardest part will be the M5 at Exeter. Junction 29 and 30 have been hell this week!

wallop

Always A30.

timber

A30, the south route is full of varying lower speed limits and bimblers on single lane roads. It’s only quicker if the A30 is jammed due to a crash and you know all the back lanes off it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Years since lived down there and A30 Indian Queens was horrendous. Worst was caravans heading to bloody Newquay.

It’s rubbish whichever way. Extra few hours to drive through Cornwall if coming from Devon. Likewise on the train. So slow once over the bridge.

peekay

Sod anecdote or habit. Just get near the decision point and use Google maps. Should tell you the quickest route based on current traffic conditions and historical trends

prawny

I think they should have finished the last bit of dual carriageway by now so the A30 will be the best way I’d have thought. There’s even a section services, ice cream is well nice.

Pz_Steve

Oh, the Lizard is a right sod to get to.

It’s got to be A30, but getting across to Helston is a challenge. If you’ve got satnav, google maps or are good at remembering a route I’d come off at Pool (junction after Redruth), head for South Crofty, Penhallick, Four Lanes, then down the B3297 to Helston. That’s the route I used to take when I worked on the Lizard if I had to go anywhere – even going to Truro (it was almost twice the distance of the direct route, but quicker). Have a look at it on the map first though, as it’s not obvious…

The A30 is now dualled all the way to Carland Cross (Trispen / Truro junction). From there to Chivvie can be 10 minutes or can be an hour (it’s about 7 miles). If you’re travelling down on a Friday or Saturday in August, any time late morning to late afternoon it’ll be the latter. The rest of it should be painless, though.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

well, i live here so for what its worth…

it hugely depends what time of day, and cornwall at the moment seems fuller of cars than ever before.

a30 as you come off the m5 at exeter is a sticking point if we are talking peak times/friday/saturday. after that its free and easy as theyve eliminated the single lane bit up on bodmin. however it all then comes to a grinding stop at the garland cross roundabout and tails back for many miles. once you clear that its then single lane to chiverton cross roundabout and every single day now its a crawal that gets slower and slower until you que for a long way to said chiverton cross.

an option would be to head into truro from garland cross then go down on the falmouth road to the south coast.

if you decide to stick with the a30 i would consider coming off at camborne and going cross country to helston.

but if you dont then once you get on dual carriageway again you will see signs for camborne west and then you will queue again to the hayle roundabout. once past that you will then queue again to the st erth roundabout. once clear of that you will then queue miost of the way to the marazion roundabout. when there turn left and hope you don’t get stuck behind a tractor, large motorhome or tourist incapable of driving on a bendy road faster than 20mph all the way to helston.

more or less, cornwall is utterly foul to drive in just now and every trip takes way longer than it does when all the buggers go home.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A30 or A38 into Cornwall (Lizard)?’ is closed to new replies.