Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)
  • a type or brand of bike you would never buy?
  • tomhoward

Do recumbents count?

Them too.

@bencooper, sorry…

chakaping
    Free Member

I have an irrational dislike of Pivot

So much money for such bland looking frames.

Same as Ibis and Evil. I’m not a fan of bent frame tubing, at all.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Evil. No explanation necessary.
    Specialized. Lawyer happy bullies.
    Trek. You backed the wrong guy and ruined someone else on his say so.

That’s it off the top of my head.

flange
    Free Member

Yeti – I’ve had a few and I just don’t get on with their geometry.
    Specialized – I’ve had a few of those too, and I just found them a bit dull to ride.
    I’ve actually never had a duff bike from PX/OO but I’ve fallen foul of their terrible customer service. Wouldn’t put me off as their stuff is cheap (I currently race one of their road frames). But they’re very much a tool for a job, compared to something like a Parlee et al

I’ll never EVER have another set of I9 hubs though, they’re rubbish. And anything Crank bros too…

Trek are massively overpriced and spec’d poorly unless you spend faaasands, but they ride so nice. My Remedy is still the quickest bike I’ve own..

hols2
    Free Member

I think the pattern is self explanatory.

chakaping
    Free Member

I can’t see why I’d want a PX or O-O at the mo, but if they bought out a 29er version of the c456 (without the ridiculous short reach of most of their frames) I might be tempted.

SaxonRider

Giant and Merida. In my mind, they are like the Honda or Toyota of bicycles: they might be brilliant, but they have no soul.

GT. I hate the whole ‘rad’ image they stuck to for a very long time because of their BMX history. I don’t do things because they’re ‘rad’, dude. That, and the fact that my first MTB was a GT and it was shite.

As for type, electric. Unless I’m elderly or somehow disabled and that is the only way possible for me to ride, I won’t touch them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vitus too, after hearing of one of their EWS riders having to take 3 rear swingarms with him to get through one race…. 😯

P-Jay
    Free Member

Evil – a few reasons, they’re expensive of course, not as much as some, but with an eye on VFM, they’re too boutique for me, but at the risk of going over old ground – their quality control on some of their original FS bikes wasn’t good enough and I know they poured their guts out on PB about how it wasn’t their fault and all that, but more than that the way they treat their customers – buy a very expensive frame, have either quality failure or even an accident and try to buy parts “sorry, we don’t make that 12 month old bike any more, can’t get you a replacement swing arm” make some fancy bikes into wall-hangers.

Orange, simple bikes made complex due to the way they’re made an again expensive, also I can’t escape the feeling they’re trapped in that British “if it ain’t broke” mindset that lead to a lot of UK manufacturers going to the wall in face of better products from other countries to spend more on R&D.

Cove, I’ve had two, I adored both of them, but they’re just too small an outfit to keep up with the rest of the world – their first (and maybe only) 650b FS bike was a re-branded generic frame. If they released a 650b G-Spot I might be interested.

Their are others, I have issues with vertically mounted shocks, they just look ugly to me.

Type-wise, no form of road bike, ever. I’ve spent the last 10 years in a ‘banter’ competition with my road riding mates and I’d never live it down, plus I find riding on the road terrifying and only do it when I have to.

Trials bike, not at my age.

DH – I ‘officially’ gave up DH in 2011, but never say never – back then I decided I never wanted to race again so there wasn’t many places to ride one and I was too old and too injured to ride one properly, now we’ve got BPW, FOD, AS and more – and I’m stronger and fitter than I was then, it wasn’t age. The only thing stopping me now is finding the money.

prawny

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Vitus too, after hearing of one of their EWS riders having to take 3 rear swingarms with him to get through one race….

Really? Arse.

Oh well, hardtails shouldnt break too easily and the rest of the gubbins on it are good enough to hang on something else.

Trimix
    Free Member

Evil – based on how they treated customers in the past.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Louise.

Oh, sorry, not that kind of ‘bike’.

nickc

any bike made for a discipline that a manufacturer is not known or recognised for, they may have a brilliant reputation for what they do, but…a road bike from Kona, and mountain bike from Bianchi, and so on ah, no thanks…

oh, and a 29er

deadkenny
    Free Member

nickc – Member 
    oh, and a 29er

Not even a Santa Cruz v10 29er? https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-GB/news/syndicate-29-inch-v10

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Louise.

Conversely I would buy Louise. Very good value for money, and smiles guaranteed.

Oh, sorry, still not that kind of ‘bike’?

monkeyboyjc

E-thirteen – reputation for being made of cheddar.
    Other than that I cant think of another ‘would never buy’ brand. Lots of the ‘big brands’ I avoid due to personal vanity, but if they come out with a really good bike / products I’d still buy them.

DezB
    Free Member

Fatbike. Cos I don’t like fun, obv.

Apollo. Cos I don’t smoke and can’t do wheelies.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yeti. Really don’t why.

SaxonRider

Apollo. Cos I don’t smoke and can’t do wheelies.

😆

munrobiker
    Free Member

Brompton. They’re the only bike I actively sneer at, and I sneer at a lot of shit things.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yeti, Evil, E13, Crank Bros, Formula, Schwalbe MTB tyres.

Stuff that costs lots & falls apart mainly & apparently should just be accepted that’s the case.

DezB
    Free Member

Ahem.
    Evil – cos I just saw this on Fresh Goods Friday: “Price: £2,699 (frame only)”

yossarian
    Free Member

I think I’d give evil a go now. If it broke I’d just go after the seller for recompense if the company were stroppy. They can argue the toss with the manufacturer.

Trek – don’t know why and I couldn’t care less about the Armstrong connection.

Marin – for some reason they don’t strike me as being a proper mtb brand. The latest release is just amusing. That said, I used to ride a nail trail back in the 90s and it was the bollocks.

Saracen – still damaged by ‘that’ comment. Probably very unfairly.

Raleigh – cheap shit image. And cheap shit bikes from what I’ve seen. Be great if they made a proper comeback.

Quite happy to ride giant, kona, specialized etc. So not a boutique thing. More of n image thing maybe. Which makes me just as shallow.

prawny

Saracen – still damaged by ‘that’ comment. Probably very unfairly.

Ooh what’s this? I’ve got a saracen (road commuter) and it’s ok but am I offending people?

tomhoward

Conversely I would buy Louise.

You don’t buy her, so much as rent her by the hour.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Ooh what’s this? I’ve got a saracen (road commuter) and it’s ok but am I offending people?

ur bik is saracin

Daffy

Genesis. I’ve had 3 and they’ve all been dull, lifeless things.

Not a big fan of the big 3 (Specialized, Giant and Trek) despite they’re general goodness.

Almost anything made from steel.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve got a saracen (road commuter) and it’s ok but am I offending people?

Ur bik iz sarcin.

Apparently.

DezB
    Free Member

More for hols2’s list :

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You don’t buy her, so much as rent her by the hour.

😆

I’ve got The Police’s Roxanne going through my head now…

Northwind

prawny – Member

Hopefully! There’s 2 Halfordz Sarcins in my garage, only one of them works and neither of them get ridden but still. Also a kick-ass Boardman hybrid, and a 90s carrera krakatoa, and a fat bike from a supermarket

TheWrongTrousers

Giant, Trek, GT, Scott
    …. American mega-brands, yeuch !
    Cannondale ok though
    Anything from Halfords
    Boardman (for the Halfords connection)
    Another Bianchi mountain bike (road bikes ok though)

I know, I know, no logic….

MSP

I always said specialized and trek. Specialized because of their litigation history and Trek because of an irrational dislike.

But 2 years ago when I wanted to buy a dream bike the spesh enduro 29er was the best bike for what I wanted so that is what I bought, and if I get my insurance money for it would probably now go for a trek slash 29er.

I wouldn’t touch PX/on one with a barge pole though.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Pinnarello because I saw Alan Sugar on one and nearly threw up.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Yeti- for the whole fani boy thing.
    Intense – for the flexi back ends
    Ibis – because they remind me of the magensium bikes of old .Kirks or something like that.
    Santa Cruz’s – used to like now I don’t. Dont know why.
    Jones- for beardy weirdys

Just to dislike Giants, Marin, Whytes and Trek but like them now.

Saying that I would happily ride a bike from any of the above if it meant i could ride a bike.

Northwind

lobby_dosser – Member

Intense – for the flexi back ends

Intense have the best customer service story I’ve ever heard. Shop (who will remain nameless) orders a new frame. Take it out of box, notice the swingarm’s visibly squint in the frame. Put is straight back in the box and send it back, Intense refuse the “warranty claim” because it’s obviously crash damage 😀

scc999

Evil – terrible customer service.
    OO / Planet X – terrible customer service.
    Specialized – attitude of company (litigation).
    Marin – poor image IMO.
    Lapierre – snapping frames.
    Yeti – expensive snapping frames (shame because I really would like one).
    Cotic – I don’t like how they look. I know, really sorry.
    Cove – purile names.

That’ll do for now.

Fat-boy-fat

Northwind! Was it you that nicked my beloved Carerra Krakatoa in 1994? Swine!

Davesport

Definitely a Jones steel spaceframe with the truss fork. After the hype all I felt was disappointment. My poverty spec steel winter hardtail felt more competent. Room 101 definitely.

ton

Definitely a Jones steel spaceframe with the truss fork. After the hype all I felt was disappointment.

i can understand that. i felt a bit underwhelmed rather than disappointed with my jones.
    the gas pipe ogre i am riding now feels loads nicer to ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘a type or brand of bike you would never buy?’ is closed to new replies.