Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • a type or brand of bike you would never buy?
  • ton

and your reason for the decision.

scotroutes

On One, Planet X or any of the shoddy re-branded stuff from the same source.

athy62
    Free Member

Road bike.
    Specialized.
    Yours.

mike_p
    Free Member

Scotroutes, ditto!

And fatbikes… wtf. Cracknell used one for the Iditarod sufferfest that he had a bash at, and I get that. But I live in the UK, Hertfordshire to be exact.

nemesis
    Free Member

Most boutique brands. No issue with other people buying them for the ‘craftsmanship’ but doesn’t do it for me.

honourablegeorge

Yeti, totally put off by the combination of exorbitant price, the recurring issues with snapping chainstays across generations of bikes, and the hassle people I know have had with frame failures and warranty.

Evil, enough said.

Ibis/Pivot/Production Privee – lovely bikes, well put together, but the frames are just way too bloody short.

Trek – think they make some of the nicet looking bikes on the market today, but I’ve seen so many of broken amongst my friends (all dealt with quickly under warranty with no hassle, to be fair) that it puts me off.

Beyond those, I’d pretty much try anything.

andybrad

evil, just for the way ive seen people dealt with so badly.

apart from that, worlds your lobster.

ton

Specialized.
    Yours.

always liked specialized bikes, seem like lost for your cash.

as for mine, you wouldn’t even know what I have.

Northwind

I’d happily own another On One if I bought it used, but never new (used ones are more likely to be built right since someone else has tested it for you, and the nonexistant warranty and customer service means there’s no benefit to buying new)

And that’s it actually. I’ve never ridden a specialized I liked but I don’t hold it against them. I don’t like anything about Trek except for their awesome bikes.

tomhoward

Fixie – don’t like the idea of certain death* if I stop pedalling
    TT bike – I’m as flexible as a plank
    Folder – I assume you have eyes?

No brands that are an automatic veto (well, I guess Brompton et al…)

I’ve had something from everyone’s post above, including the Oranges and ebikes I assume ton is referring to 🙂 no reason I wouldn’t have them again

*the kind you recover from, but still not very nice

johnw1984
    Free Member

Lapierre and Whyte for me.

No other reason apart from I don’t really like the look of them. They just don’t do anything for me at all.

I’ve had a ride of a G160 and actually liked how it rode, but I’d never consider one… strange.

Oh and Evil. Love the look of them, but could never trust it. Apart from all the internet stories, I also know someone who was refused warranty when the top tube cracked (no crash).

ton

I’ve had something from everyone’s post above, including the Oranges and ebikes I assume ton is referring to

if I ever had a problem with my health again, I would be 1st in the Q for another ebike.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Any TT bike because riding on Dual Carriageways is stupid.
    A Fat bike because there’s no need for one where I live.
    An Orange because I’ve got all the filing cabinets I need.
    Anything low slung and slack because they just look wrong.
    A Tandom because I can’t yet knit my own shoes.

tomhoward

if I ever had a problem with my health again, I would be 1st in the Q for another ebike.

The new orange one? 😉

peteimpreza

On One, Planet X , because it’s cheap s**t and their customer service is legendary for all the wrong reasons

prawny

I will try and avoid Specialized because of their excessive litigiousness but other than that I’ll try anything.

I’ve never had a bike from on-one or PX though so I might only do it once.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Raleigh – based on my Raleigh Scorpio I had as a kid!

ton

The new orange one?

no, for various reasons. a scott or a mondraker, or maybe a lapierre

larrydavid
    Free Member

Intense – bikes named after, or in relation to, guns.

Anything with a military theme.

onandon
    Free Member

Specialized, Scott, trek and Raleigh.
    Wouldn’t buy anything from any of them.

poah
    Free Member

anything roadish, anything with 29inch wheels, anything XC, any single pivot, anything overrated/overpriced and anything “fat”. doesn’t really leave much lol

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

Voodoo – the £600 bike fell apart and dissolved faster and more completely than the £200 B’twin I got for “knocking about on”.

It wasn’t even used much.

tomhoward

Intense – bikes named after, or in relation to, guns.

Anything with a military theme.

What about SS bikes?
    Banshee spitfire?
    Dark green ones?

piemonster

On one/planet x for my own experiences of their customer services.

There’s others but i feel i may be being unfair.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Types – Road, fat, rigid, gravel.

Brands – Evil, Marin, Giant, Scott, Intense, Yeti….

Too many why’s, and some there’s no reason!

thomthumb
    Free Member

wouldn’t have a cannondale mtb for free. no idea why – don’t like them; never have.

would love a caadX or caad12. strange i know.

not really into scotts either – just seem a bit euro.

larrydavid
    Free Member

What about SS bikes?
    Banshee spitfire?
    Dark green ones?

SS bikes lol
    Banshee spitfire is out I’m afraid. But that’s ok because it’s not the type of bike I’d by.
    Dark green might be ok, so long as there’s no ‘camo’ colour scheme or ‘army munition box’ type print.

I’ve just checked that F29 isn’t a fighter plane. It’s civilian, phew.

chakaping
    Free Member

CX/gravel bike – The worst of both worlds for me.

DH – Getting too old for that shit.

jekkyl

anything that was purchased from Halfords because it came from Halfords.

What? everyone else was thinking it!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have an irrational dislike of Pivot (pdespite Lauren Gregg being so smiley). It’s basically down to their habit of writing “PIVOT” on every available surface on the bike.

Never felt any stirrings of lust for a Giant or a Scott – not ruling ti out, but never felt it. I find Niners oddly hard to like too.

🙂

ElShalimo

Why the Scott hatred?

chestrockwell

On One and Evil spring to mind simply because of the woeful service people have suffered.

Trek after they hoovered up loads of brands bitd only to pinch the tech and discard the rest.

Specialized probably although for no other reason than they’re magnolia imo, along with GT, Giant, Cannodale, etc.

leegee

Giant for their DW Link patent infringement.

cinnamon_girl

Anything Specialized, no thanks.

funkmasterp

wouldn’t have a cannondale mtb for free

Me too. It’s the whole having writing on every square inch of the frame and components element of them that I don’t like. Goes for all their other bikes too.

Scott – just don’t appeal to me.

On One / Planet X – solely because of the customer service and build quality horror stories I’ve read.

Would never by a TT bike as I’d never have use for one.

tomhoward

It’s basically down to their habit of writing “PIVOT” on every available surface on the bike.

Mine only has it written on the downtube? Admittedly in 3 places (L, R and underneath), but that’s it?

willard

Something with a single speed that would require me to roll up one leg of a pair of skinny jeans before I wobble off trying to correct my direction with a pair of bars the width of a king-size Twix.

Bream
    Free Member

Scott – after seeing them all snap/fail during a DH season running them as hire bikes, put me off for life! Although this was back in 2012 so maybe things are better these days.

Adversely I love my S-Works and Crux carbon.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

No particular brand I stay clear of but I’ll never buy a road bike.

In my opinion they’re the sort of thing you end up with when you’ve given up on life and are too old and boring to go mountain biking. I think I’d rather watch paint dry than ride on the road 😆

Hopefully I’ve got another 20+ years of proper mountain biking in me then after that there’s always e bikes 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

peteimpreza – Member 
    On One, Planet X , because it’s cheap s**t and their customer service is legendary for all the wrong reasons

My carbon 456 frame may have been cheap but it’s far from s**t. Been bombproof to me and I built up a cracking bike from it.

Customer service though, well maybe. Only issue I had really is they sent the wrong frame, but then on informing them they sent out the right frame next day. They did take ages to collect the wrong frame and I had to prod them. I should have just kept it 😀

Anyway, my contribution…

Any single pivot bikes – because, single pivot nonsense!

Any frame with press fit bottom brackets – because… I really don’t have to spell this out do I?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘a type or brand of bike you would never buy?’ is closed to new replies.