Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • A technicalish (or gravel) muck about around Muker
  • el_boufador

Hi all, I’m off up to Muker (Swaledale) towards the end of the coming week, and I’m wondering whether to bother taking the bike. If there are any technical ish trails or singletrack then it’s somewhere I’ve not done any riding before, but to be honest a lot of dales riding has left me distinctly underwhelmed (in terms of technicality) in the past.

Anyway, I’ve read gunnerside gill is good so I was thinking something like Muker – over kidson – keld – cheeky past crackpot hall and over the moor – pick up bridleways N to Blakethwaite area – melbecks moor – down to gunnerside gill through the workings then to gunnerside somehow (looks like the fp beside the beck is ridden, may be more fun than the bw) minor roads back to Muker.

Any good in terms of fun/technicality?

The alternative to all that is to take the gravel bike and just have a scenic blat around non technical stuff… in which case any recommendations?

I’ll probably have a couple of hours to kill tops, and will be going early early doors so a bit of cheek probably a non issue.

martinhutch

Sounds fine. The BW running parallel to GG to the east is good, once you’ve approached via Friarfold/Bunton Hush (tech descent). Then you can descend down from Low Row pasture to Lodge Green – fast, not particularly tech, but fun. All the other stuff you’ve mentioned is decent value, the stuff on top of the moors tends to be shooting track, but check out the Strava heatmap for the best cheek.

Gravel wise, look to the south of the valley – there are loads of fast tracks on Harkerside Moor, Apedale etc.

robido

Call in at dales bike centre in grinton stu will put you right

devash
    Free Member

Some great mountain biking to be had in that area. Reeth, Gunnerside, Fremington Edge all have awesome routes. This one and the many variations of it are a personal favourite – https://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/yorkshire-mtb-routes/fremington-edge/#:~:text=This%20mountain%20bike%20route%20of,of%20singletrack%20mixed%20in%20too.

As mentioned above, the Dales Bike Centre is your first stop for route info and has a lovely cafe.

The Farmers Arms in Muker itself is a great post ride pub.

el_boufador

Thanks all, we’ve got a few visits to the farmer’s arms planned.

A few follow-on questions:

1)What’s the FP down from the mines down by gunnerside gill like (rather than the BW). Rideable? how much gate/stile action?

2)Anyone done the FP descent over North Hush (opposing the gunnerside mines tech bit). Looks good on aerial view.

3) Any views on the BWs up around blakethwaite gill / dams?

4) Any views on Swinner Gill past Crackpot hall as either a climb or descent? there looks to be a lower track than the marked FP which looks like it might be tasty on aerial view

5) Does anyone know what the track down from Tan Hill to Keld is like?

6) What about BW over Kisdon? Is there a best way to ride it?

Thanks!

richardkennerley

Been in the area today. I did the descent from the mine workings down Gunnerside Gill. From the top I took the fp option which is a fully rideable, fairly flowing descent with plenty fast sections all the way down to Gunnerside.

I started at Grinton so went up onto the edge and took in the descent to langthwaite first which is also a cracker.

They’re both basically like very good red trail descents, fast, a little bit sketchy here and there but not too tech. They’re both classic ride type rides, there’s probably a lot of other trails to be found, but I’m not local so I don’t know where to look!!

Here’s my ride :

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/CzNyOnVgD8

Edit – forgot to add, the bw up past old gang is worth a look if you’ve never been, interesting stuff!

martinhutch

1)What’s the FP down from the mines down by gunnerside gill like (rather than the BW). Rideable? how much gate/stile action?

Really good alternative descent, faster, more flowy, with one smallish drop. No gates. Bunton Hush is better if you like slower, rocky tech.

Any views on Swinner Gill past Crackpot hall as either a climb or descent? there looks to be a lower track than the marked FP which looks like it might be tasty on aerial view

Probably more fun down than up! Bit of pushing involved, IIRC. If you’re coming from Keld the alternative is a lot more plugging on doubletrack, though. Plus it’s very scenic.

3) Any views on the BWs up around blakethwaite gill / dams?

You’re probably better off getting across the gill and climbing back up to the main track above Friarfold rather than following them all the way up. Strava heatmap is your friend here. There’s a zigzag BW climb which I remember being OK. Then you can get back down to the main BW via one of the good descents.

5) Does anyone know what the track down from Tan Hill to Keld is like?

Damp in places, probably!

Have a look at this youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuuMOYg7lIg

(Taken during the very dry spell earlier this year – it won’t be this dry).

6) What about BW over Kisdon? Is there a best way to ride it?

S-N if I had to choose, but it’s pretty standard track both ways for the most part.

el_boufador

Brilliant, thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘A technicalish (or gravel) muck about around Muker’ is closed to new replies.