Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A Saab, three syllable words and mrs_shed
  • matt_outandabout

Anyone else find Shed of The Week properly funny some weeks?

That and I want to run a banger Saab for a year.

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-features-sheds/shed-of-the-week–saab-9-3-aero-cabriolet/40541

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

That’s actually got all the things you’d reasonably want done to one of them as far as tuning/suspension/maintenance etc. Quite a good buy I’d say.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I can think of a few things wrong with it just looking at it.

Not saabs finest hour.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There was some heroic bolstering of a Vauxhall Cavalier front bulkhead to minimise the torque steer IIRC.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I came super close to buying a 4grand 9-5 estate but expected costs put me off and I ended up with a passatt instead.

Still love the quirkiness of them, ignition beside the handbrake etc.

boblo
    Free Member

I had a 93 diesel for a bit. It’d had a hard life before I got it and I bought it in a bit of a rush as I needed a car PDQ in leaving the comfort of a company car scheme.

It was quirky in a really good way. The engine, an Isuzu unit IIRC? was rough as but got low 40’s everywhere regardless of approach and had lots of low down grunt.

I liked the faux fighter styling and the little quirks and silliness. Mrs Boblo hated it. I regretted getting rid as it sort of had soul which a lot of stuff is really bland now though that sounds I bit silly I know.

trumpton
    Free Member

Shed of the week is indeed well written. Piston heads is a great site. The Saab looks great too.

Sandwich

There was some heroic bolstering of a Vauxhall Cavalier front bulkhead to minimise the torque steer

Nope that was to stop it splitting due to the torque steer, as the repair looks like it’s an engine out job.

Currently in a Mk1 9-3 hatch with the mid-power output engine as I like the car to go in the direction the wheels are pointing when accelerating in the damp. 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a 9-5 aero hot, 250hp.

Rumours of scrabbling for traction when accelerating in the wet (especially if tyres are well worn) cannot be denied

stuey
    Free Member

In my old SAAB – turbo lag was a ‘feature’
    -I remember the press ad it “can out overtake a 911 at motorway speeds” 😉

derek_starship
    Free Member

That Saab is just gorgeous. But I’m a big Saab fan. Was smitten in 1986 when my ex’s dad treated himself to a brand new 900 T16S. Now that is the Saab.

I always fancied a Viggen but the ones I’ve seen for sale have galactic mileage.

My current Saab is a 9-3X. Think Sportwagon raised about 35mm and finished with wheel arch protectors and skid plate. It’s got the 1.9TTiD engine (180ps) and is just fantastic on the Mway.

woodster

I found my 9-3 really cheap feeling and utterly boring (you could definitely tell it had a lot of GM in there) so I added too much boost and blew up the turbo. The 290bhp 9000 Aero I had soon afterwards was so much better and one of the few cars I’d have another of.

jamesoz

A buddy of mine had one of these for a while, I helped him fit reinforcement parts to the bulkhead. It was in standard tune and was awful if pushed. By the time he got rid I think it turned left better than right and the doors didn’t line up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Rumours of scrabbling for traction when accelerating in the wet being a Vectra In a short skirt cannot be denied

And really not being a very nice convertible to boot

nickliv

I had a T16S and I’ve never had anything better. Ever.

Then small people came along and I got a big sensible 95 estate. Everything I had since including a relentlessly derided VW Touran put is so firmly in the shade that its just not funny.

I’ve never had a car like the 900 for a ‘put your foot down, and have the odd experience of an invisible piece of elastic being stretched out ahead of you before dragging you off towards the horizon’ feeling.

Everything modern is just so instant by comparison, but I probably spend several hours a month looking for a good 900 Ruby, but even they’re over 25 years old now and a bit of a leap of faith for a daily driver.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A Saab, three syllable words and mrs_shed’ is closed to new replies.