Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • A question about St. Andrews (Scotland)
  • ask1974
    Free Member

We were very fortunate last night and won a week’s accommodation in St. Andrews in a raffle… 😀

Obviously attractive to golfers but what’s St Andrews like as a place to visit? Given the choice would it be worth leaving the kids behind and go with a few mates, or are there lots of things to do as a family? We have two kids under seven so they need activities…

Thanks all.

scotroutes

Start here: http://www.visitstandrews.com/do/places-to-visit/other-ideas/craigtoun-country-park/##

Tentsmuir forest and beach is worth a visit – you might even see the seals. Take a bike – there are nice easy tracks to follow.

Discovery centre at Dundee: http://www.rrsdiscovery.com/index.php?pageID=129

Or stand at the end of the runway at Leuchars 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Having spent three freezing years in St Andrews, there is very little to do except play golf and drink, and if you don’t play golf (and I don’t), the options are narrower still. At least you’ll be spared the horror that is the Union Bop, or indeed living in Andrew Melville Hall.

It’s a beautiful town though.

Andy

duckman

Try and get a table at the Vine leaf as well, one of the best places I have ever eaten at. But yes, bit yah studenty or septic tank golf tours.

wallop

Secret Bunker!

ask1974
    Free Member

Cheers Scotroutes I’ll take a look at those links. Thanks all for the other comments.

piemonster

Plenty of eating to be done in St Andrews, I quite like The Tail End eat in chipper.

Bit further afield, keep an eye out for Sea Eagles at Tentsmuir and all along the north coast of the kingdom.

The coastal path south of St Andrews is a nice but linear walk, I’ve done a training run from Dundee to Elie on the Coastal Path and apart from Leuchars to St Andrews it makes a pleasant enough outing.

Elie chain walk is a good laugh, albeit short

Pitenween Chococlate shop, Anstruther chipper, boat trip out to the isle of may is a nice half day out.

Lomond Hills have some reasonable biking/running/walking, as does Pitmedden forest south of Newburgh.

I’d have said it’d be better as a family trip rather than a mates one. Unless you like Golf of course.

Prepare to be considerably poorer.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Depends on time of year a bit. Agree with Tentsmuir and Cable Walk from Elie but be very careful with tides in both cases. I have two very close calls at both!!

In warm periods the West and Castle sands are fun. Castle and Cathedral worth a visit and himalayas golf is always fun for kids.

Easy to have a break and visit places like Dunkeld or Gleneagles.

But it’s really an outdoor place and that’s the beauty of it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘A question about St. Andrews (Scotland)’ is closed to new replies.