Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • A certain-age uncertainty
  • p7eaven
    Free Member

It seems I’ve been bitten yet again with sensible mopeditis. First time since I was a young man when was hankering after a Sensible Suzuki GS125 with which to replace a knackered 50cc X1 (having killed that in 1 x too many canal-water and sand-mine incidents.

Now (apparently) it’s a CT125 Hunter Cub I want (because I saw a picture of it)

190mpg? 200+ range? Offroad capable? Kickstart? I see it already as a trusty old friend, ready to take me rural commuting, camping, trekking across Patagonia.

Although am thinking in terms of

It’s more than likely it’ll turn out:

‘Over ‘ere ‘Onk!’

Or even

Joking aside, are there any actual practical downsides to a Super Cub Hunter?

Would one necessarily (in the UK) be subject to ‘road-bullying’ moreso than with a big ‘macho’ bike?

tjagain

Is it not a development of the Aussie posties bike? Should be reliable and capable and one big advantage is its light enough to lift it up if you get stuck.

I doubt you would get “bullied” on the road as it should be fast enough to keep up with traffic.

dannybgoode

I am not allowed a motorbike but that looks ace. Sadly, looking at the press, it is not coming to Europe. Still, I would have something like that if I were permitted 🙂

sbtouring
    Free Member

Seen some very good reviews of the hunter cub. There are some great videos of it in action on YouTube. Buy as danny said its currently not available in Europe, which is a massive shame

tthew

I’m not a motorcyclist, but if I were a nice original Cub would be on my very short list of bikes I’d buy. Would be the kind of thing I’d like to tackle as a restoration project if/when I have the time and space.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Buy as danny said its currently not available in Europe, which is a massive shame

Bah. Thnks for the tip. Another score on my ‘Get The Hell Out Of Dodge’ list. I saw it on Bennet’s and didn’t read to the end. Visordown say:

We’ve heard reports that the CT125 was to come to the UK in June 2020 under the guise of the Hunter Cub, although with the ongoing travel restrictions thanks to COVID-19, it’s likely to be the end of this year or 2021 before we get to ride it.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Seen some very good reviews of the hunter cub. There are some great videos of it in action on YouTube

+1 . Had a look at a few. It seems to have a lot of useful features. The included snorkel jumps to mind. River-crossings! I really can’t think of anything better for my planned use (initially to disappear for a day or three at a time in the Welsh wilderness and the Marches and not have to take a car)

Was a little worried about hillclimbing but seems pretty good?

Ok that’s enough dreaming for the day, best get back to grafting/selling family silverware/punching pillows 🙂

tonyd

Is that a built in BBQ on the back?

maccruiskeen

Is that a built in BBQ on the back?

Located within easy reach of the buns.

p7eaven
    Free Member

is that a built-in BBQ on the back?

If you want 🙄

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That looks awesome OP. I’m not into motorbikes,but if I had to have one it’d be something like that.

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ similar, tho I’m more of a utilitarian miser/lower-footprint fan than ‘not into’ motorbikes, as do favour two-wheeled transport. Also like economical and simple.

Should the CT125 not be arriving on our shores I’m not sure there’s anything else out there that would tick all the boxes?

200+ mile range (solo)
    170ish mpg
    Offroad capable
    Snorkel
    Centre-stand
    Plenty of luggage customisability
    < £4k new

Any suggestions considered

crogthomas
    Free Member

I think it is that very chap (Nathan Millward) who runs a tour company down in Devon, hiring out CT125s. So it must be possible to get them in the UK.

anagallis_arvensis

Would one necessarily (in the UK) be subject to ‘road-bullying’ moreso than with a big ‘macho’ bike?

IME yes, my Goldwing gets treated very differently to any other bike I’ve ridden. No one wants to be sucked into its gravity well!!

p7eaven
    Free Member

IME yes, my Goldwing gets treated very differently to any other bike I’ve ridden.

I do wonder, as struggling up a long hill on an A road at 40mph (even 50mph on any NSL road) isn’t ‘keeping up with traffic’ in 2021 UK 😬

Although I’d be looking to avoid rush-hours, and also use narrow country lanes wherever possible. It really is (away from towns) just a different mindset and expectation that I’m seeking. ie slower than a car, faster and farther than a pushbike, economical, low-impact and self-supoorted.

@finishthat

@crogthomas

That tour (and day-hire contact looks ace) Will read up and try it out a soon as practical to book. Certainly look fwd to whetting my whistle, and on my old stomping ground even better 👍🏼

(They’re actually CT110 postie bikes, crated in from Oz)

https://www.nathanmillward.com/ukpostbikeadventures

BillMC

I got shot of my last bike (525cc) as it didn’t have enough grunt for safety and making space.

sbtouring
    Free Member

Wouldn’t worry about the speed. On country roads it will be fine.

A few years ago I stopped using my big bike and went back to a 125. Ok it’s slow on dual carriage ways and motorways but most of the time I’ve never really felt I’m not keeping up with traffic.

BillMC

Looks like Baggy Point in that photo, you wouldn’t need a lot of speed round there in the summer.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Looks like Baggy Point

Countisbury Hill to Lynmouth/Lynton, though same sentiments re ‘speed’!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘A certain-age uncertainty’ is closed to new replies.