Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 90,318 members on STW!
  • bearnecessities

I only noticed as I went to send a PM to someone and it gave me a ‘public message’ option. Clicked on it to see what happens and although I’m not clear, it gave the above number of members.

Also begs the question why only the same ten people post? 🙂

pirahna
    Free Member

90k of those are admins, the other 308 are either banned or suspended.

Drac

Close 90k are one persons previous personas.

bikebob

Thanks for that. Often wondered how many members there are, as I try to sleep whilst on here at 3.30am. Obvs recognise not too many about at this time.

Poopscoop

I am too.lol

Good to keep an eye on the night shift. For some great deal on some definitely genuine US dollars one night too.

Just off to kip now though.

Drac

Off to sleep at 3am that’s not a night shift.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

and yet the activity on here is still way less than it was before ‘that’ upgrade…

cdoc
    Free Member

and yet the activity on here is still way less than it was before ‘that’ upgrade…

Impossible! Not when there are 90,318 members and a genuine August ‘Unique’ Site Visitors total of 1,675,816.

This place is rocking it!

maccruiskeen

‘Unique’ Site Visitors total of 1,675,816.

given the site never seems to remember who anyone is I expect about a quarter of those ‘unique’ visitors have posted on this thread 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

There were 35,000 when the forum was hacked

footflaps

but there used to be a lot more who posted, forums are much quieter now in terms of posts.

amodicumofgnar

Isn’t that just forums, isn’t that just everything, there’s a life cycle and things move on. I’m not really sure I have any great insight as to where; being a bit of a social media philistine. Generally having a poke round at what’s going on in mountain biking there seems to be more youtube content / channels.

It’s interesting seeing who’s still about.

funkmasterp

given the site never seems to remember who anyone is I expect about a quarter of those ‘unique’ visitors have posted on this thread

If the last month is anything to go by I’m at least half of that number (shakes fist at iPhone)

andypaul
    Free Member

It would be interesting to see how many users have actually been active in the past 12 months or so..i rekon singletrack need to have a clear out because that number seems totally unrealistic to me.

It does seem that the same 10-15 liberals seem to post every day 😉

Frankenstein
    Free Member

How many of them ride?

footflaps

How many of them ride?

Good question, I suggest banning them if they actually ride a mountain bike….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Isn’t that just forums, isn’t that just everything

there was a distinct drop in activity after ‘that upgrade’ and it hasn’t recovered…

unless they only post on the EU thread now..

Cougar

What are the figures you have?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’m not that geeky but just judging by how topics age on the first page.

footflaps

I’m not that geeky but just judging by how topics age on the first page.

Yep, you never used to see topics more than a few hours old on the front page. At WEs the forum is just full of tumble weed now, maybe a dozen threads see any posts.

nealglover
    Free Member

Is the number of times my privacy has been valued in the last couple of weeks.

I am a unique visitor every time I click on a thread, click on the next page in thread etc etc.
    (All while logged in)

bikebouy
    Free Member

“members” aren’t the same as “page impressions” or “page visits”

This place was once a very rapid turnover of posts, and threads. It’s not hard to see why there are less and less these days.

A major event in the UK back in 2016 has pissed a lot of people off.. so “why bother posting” Sadly where once political views were met with “yeah, but… anyway been out on your bike lately?) attitude I for one (and think many others) just go “Yeah, so your opinion is..xxxx…. nah, can’t be bothered with that nor if you’ve been on your bike” and stop posting.

Some prolific thread starters have been banned, but they were so prolific that you could pretty much guarantee a new thread on a similar topic within 24hrs.. Not that I think it was a bad thing per-se’ but I do see the reasons for the Mag Owners appealing to a wider less aggressive and opinionated audience.. after all, this is a business they run.

Some posters have left of their own accord, either lifestyle changes, changes in attitude to bike riding or frankly fed up of having the piss ripped out of them.

Don’t think the new forum was the primary reason, but it did piss a lot of people off and almost made it impossible to post anything for about 6-7weeks whilst us Beta testers were posting threads about “why can’t I???…..) and a lot of posters were cheesed off with the “we’re only a few blokes in the background doing what we can” whilst they were trying to run a business.

I’m not keen on starting threads, mainly because I have diametric opinions than some on here and frankly not that bothered about conversing with them.

So these days I’m far less tolerant, and I assume theres lots of people like me, who just come on here these days and if a topic prompts a comment and they’re in the right frame of mind in between working or playing will make a comment.

I do think this place is less demographically open, it’s become very enclosed.

Cougar

Demographically STW (and I guess mountain biking generally) has always been predominantly white men of a certain age. STW doesn’t police content – indeed, we generally take pains not to censor, within reason – so stuff that gets posted is what people want to post.

You can complain about the upgrade all you like but the simple fact is that had to happen as the old forum was becoming increasingly unworkable under the hood, it was a rat’s nest of code that the devs were almost afraid to touch, and it had to happen when it did due to external forces. They didn’t much of a choice in the matter.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I do think this place is less demographically open, it’s become very enclosed.

To clarify…

Demographically open = my interpretation of the word to explain a large audience. Not creed or race specific.

I think by now we’re all aware of the issues and rationale for the new forum software, it has been explained on many occasions why and what the reasons behind it were. And I think plenty of reasonable people (like me) support the Owners through the changes. It did have an effect though (for the reasons above) and now I’m sure the page impressions and visitors are “up” and more quantifiable, which is a by-product of changing to a more modern media-friendly playroom (natch)

I personally like the changes, platform and forum, support the Owners in their quest to turn a business into a more user friendly environment and gain some  validated user experience stats out of it.
    We are, afterall, only going in one direction in the all encompassed world of Social Media.

duncancallum

Forums are just quieter since the likes of FB groups n what’s app groups.

What we really need is a MySpace page

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You can complain about the upgrade all you like but the simple fact is that had to happen as the old forum was becoming increasingly unworkable under the hood

agreed, but it was just the screwed up way it was done – speaking as a developer of over 30 years experience 🙂

darthpunk
    Free Member

The amount of times I’ve seen the “Singletrack respects your privacy” message

vinnyeh

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most of those page impressions are down to clicking on a thread, the page jumping to the wrong one, repeat 6 times (seems to happen less though, did it actually get fixed?).

bearnecessities

More importantly, what does this  mysterious new ‘public message’ function actually do?

I want to know, in the same way that a sign that says “do not press this button” makes me want to press it…

Cougar

Most of those page impressions are down to clicking on a thread, the page jumping to the wrong one, repeat 6 times (seems to happen less though, did it actually get fixed?).

There was an update yes, changing how the caching works I think, and a major theme overhaul is in the pipeline.

To be fair though, that’s how the web has worked since HTML 1.0. The page renders and reflows as more content is loaded. Like the entire web does it (Facebook is a particular culprit and it drives me insane because “back” never takes you to the same place so you lose the article you actually wanted to read). Satiate your right index finger for five seconds whilst the page loads!

The amount of times I’ve seen the “Singletrack respects your privacy” message

Only slightly more posts than those from the same six people complaining about it.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘90,318 members on STW!’ is closed to new replies.