Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 9 Speed clutched mech.Jobs a goodun
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Love a bit of tinkering.
    Many thanks  to Rich Latham of this parish for the busted mech so i could pinch the clutch out of it.
    Bought a new cage for it as his was beyond repair but got it dirt cheap of the tinertweb. 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Gunna need a bit more info please.

tomhoward

Cool story. 8/10 would read again.

robhughes
    Free Member

What do you want tom my life story……It’s a mech.

tomhoward

You don’t feel the need to explain how you overcame the different pull ratios to get a 10 speed clutch mech to work on a 9 speed system? Given how many people moaned that they couldn’t buy a 9 speed clutch mech, it might have some merit in telling them?

robhughes
    Free Member

Only joking Tom. 🙂
    I was waiting for how do you do that.
    Pull ratio is not effected as your using the parallelogram off a 9 speed mech.Check the two wee drilled holes.
    Mech is an xt m770.
    All will be revealed .lol.

Northwind

The easy way was to stick a 10 speed shimano on a 9 speed sram shifter with a wee 6mm spacer on the cable seat

geex
    Free Member

Good work. My man.

Seen a few DHers do the same BITD to get a shorter (road) cage onto high end mtb mech bodies.

robhughes
    Free Member

But i have lovely xrt m970 shifters Northwind with retro-ed (if that’s a word) i-spec B clamps to zees that i’m keeping.
    Mech wasn’t being used so i’ll make sure all is ok then swap the mod over to a M970 mech as i have full xtr goodness on the xc bike .I knew about that way to do it but this was the better option.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So OP got a 10s clutch cage to go on a 9s mech?

How?

singlespeedstu

Looks like the pivot pins have been drilled out to me.

Come on then OP give us some details.

hairyscary

A 6mm spacer between the cable and the bit it clamps onto is how I did it a while back.

Edit: Oooops. I got a 10 speed mech to work on a 9 speed drivetrain.

gil_

Confused…been using a M972 mech and wide/narrow chainring for 3 years now and never lost a chain?

Why the need for a clutch?

jamj1974

Nice work, OP.  I did the Shimano mech and SRAM shifter approach – following a thread by Northwind.  That worked really well, but your solution is very neat indeed.  I’ve swapped cages on XTR many years ago, but never attempted something as involved and ingenious as your solution.

robhughes
    Free Member

It really is very very easy to do but the 9 speed mech needs to be a shadow for this to work.
    Don’t worry about the spring as its not connected the the knuckle you are taking out it clips to the parallelogram itself.

Stuff needed
    1.5mm drift
    2.0mm drill bit
    Vice
    Hammer
    1     Drill dead center with 2.0mm drill bit as you can see in the pic and just drill down until you just see a glimpse of the pins.
    Your not drilling out and material where the pins actually sit so it doesn’t effect the strength of anything.
    2     Tap pins out with 1.5mm drift(i put a 1.5mm drill bit in the vice and cracked it off just below the drill threads…ideal)
    3    They come out easier than you would expect.Take care to not loose the four rubber O rings that sit in recesses in the knuckle you are taking out.
    4    Swap over the 10 speed clutched mech and cage (with the four O rings)
    5    Refit pins but make sure you turn them trough 90 degrees so that the two barbs(on the end that you are tapping back in with the for mentioned hammer 🙂 ) have fresh ally to grip so they don’t come out.
    6    Push the pins through by hand,really easy
    7    Then i put where the drilled holes are on the edge of a vice and tapped the pins the last couple of mm so they bite in to the mech using the 1.5mm drill bit drift (sink them 1mm below the surface as this is where they should be).

Job done..:)

robhughes
    Free Member

My mistake mech is an M772.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Would love to see a video of the process.

Poopscoop

Inventive and a very neat, stealth mod outcome! 👍

robhughes
    Free Member

Quick update.
    Works absolutely perfect with no issues what so ever….Result  🙂

jamj1974

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

rOcKeTdOg

Confused…been using a M972 mech and wide/narrow chainring for 3 years now and never lost a chain?

Why the need for a clutch

Someone will tell you that you’re not riding in gnarly enough terrain if your chain doesn’t come off. It won’t be me though as I had exactly the same experience. No clutch, no chain drop

robhughes
    Free Member

I’m not saying that i WOULD have dropped a chain i simply made it because it was there to be made.  🙂
    If i flush epoxy the holes in and air brush the black and silver i could say shimano made it for me.LOL

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘9 Speed clutched mech.Jobs a goodun’ is closed to new replies.