• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 9 speed cassette on 7 speed hub
  • pdw
    Free Member

I’m trying to put some of my old 9 speed kit onto my daughter’s bike which has a 7-speed hub. I can do it fairly easily by dropping a sprocket so I’ve got 8 of 9, but for political reasons (her brother has 9 speed) I wondering if I can get all 9 on.

There’s quite a lot of clearance on the between sprockets and spokes so I’m wondering about attacking the hub and/or cassette with a grinder. Anyone been down this route? The smallest sprocket is 11T so I can’t do the 11T lockring on 12T sprocket trick.

kiwijohn

Wouldn’t it be easier to find a wheel with an 8 speed hub?
    Because that will also fit 9, 10 & 11 speed cassettes.

hols2
    Free Member

Just take one sprocket off the other kid’s bike so they’re equal. Otherwise, upgrade to a newer wheel.

pdw
    Free Member

Just take one sprocket off the other kid’s bike so they’re equal.

Good thinking 🙂 I should never have told him it was 9 speed in the first place.

Upgrading to a newer wheel puts it above my budget for this (which is zero). 20″ wheels with 8 speed hubs don’t seem to be cheaply available, and I don’t think any of my parts bin hubs have the right number of spokes to do a rebuild.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano hub? Fit 8s freehub body, re-space/re-dish etc.

pdw
    Free Member

Sadly not. I’ve got at least a couple of 8 speed FH bodies in the parts bin too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘9 speed cassette on 7 speed hub’ is closed to new replies.