Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 9/10 speed road mech/ shifter compatibility
  • ceepers

This might be an obvious question but…..

I’ve got a Cotic escapade which came with sora 9 speed and cable discs. I just found a bargain tiagra 10 speed hydraulic brake set on one of the German sites.

Will my sora front and rear mechs work with the 10 speed shifters? The bike is only a year old so it’s the newest sora as far as I know.

Failing that, I have a tiagra 10 speed front and rear mech which are older ( don’t know the model number)

I half remember reading somewhere that the new 4700 tiagra had a different cable pull ration to the older stuff.

Cheers

simondbarnes

Will my sora front and rear mechs work with the 10 speed shifters?

No (well the rear definitely won’t anyway)

Failing that, I have a tiagra 10 speed front and rear mech which are older ( don’t know the model number)

Again, the rear definitely won’t work

kimura54321

@simondbarnes – Have Shimano messed about again with their pull ratios on Tiagra recently for the 4700 line to not work with lower groups?

I’m quite a few years out of date, but I’ve had 9-speed road work with 10-speed road 9-speed mtb rear derailleur. I really liked it when road/mtb were fully interchangeable, having to go “full group or nothing” seems like a backward step for the consumer 🤷‍♂️

simondbarnes

Have Shimano messed about again with their pull ratios on Tiagra recently for the 4700 line to not work with lower groups?

Yes.

having to go “full group or nothing” seems like a backward step for the consumer

If you want to keep improving products you can’t keep making them backwards compatible

sillyoldman

The pull ratio change they made way back when 4700 was introduced is a pain, but well worth it – the shift quality and overall performance of Tiagra is way better now.

matt_outandabout

I’ve just been wrestling the ‘what flat bar shifter for Sora 8sp and triple’.

It’s unclear what is compatible with what, at what model year or number change.

Ridiculously you can buy Tiagra for a lot less than Sora or even Claris – and 9 or 10sp is less than some 8sp. I think this is due to the compatibility issues.

Anyway, we’ve a shiny new Sora triple shifter on mrs_oab’s bike that works without needing the Thumb of Thor to shift.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘9/10 speed road mech/ shifter compatibility’ is closed to new replies.