Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 8 to 9 or 10 speed – a couple of questions
  • leffeboy

My poor tandem has been neglected for while so now it’s needing chain, cassette, chainrings and shifters. Seems like a good opportunity to move from 8 to 9 or 10. I’ve done a bunch of googling and think I get most of it but I’ve still a couple of questions.

What I get (I think)

Cassette: 9/10 should fit without problems as I have a hyperglide C hub and 135mm spacing

Rear mech: I can keep it if I want to go 9 speed but need to change it for 10 speed because of the change of pull on 10 speed.

Front mech: Might get away with it for 9 but would need a new one for 10 because of the change of chain width.

Now what I don’t know:

Chainring spacing: What I have looks like 7.5mm and the 10speed I have looks like 7.5mm. Can anyone confirm that this is correct as I’ve seen some people suggest it should be 5mm? I’d like to just put on new rings as new tandem cranks are a pain to find and not cheap.

10 speed chain direction: As I understand it 10 speed chains are directional. I presume then that the left hand ‘sync’ chain would still rotate in the same direction as the right hand chain or does it make no difference as there is no mech to deal with?

tx all

leffeboy

bump for the daytime crew?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only shimano 10s road chains were directional. MTB chains aren’t (and neither is 11s shimano). Wouldn’t make a difference as it’s only to help with shifting, may as well use a cheep (3/32″ singlespeed or whatever) chain for the sync chain.

Everything else you’ve said’s correct.

leffeboy

Brilliant thanks. 10sp it is then unless I find a particularly cheap deal on 9. I’ll stick an 8speed on the sync as I’ve still got a load of them.

Happy times for the tandem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘8 to 9 or 10 speed – a couple of questions’ is closed to new replies.