Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • DVO Suspension
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i read an article that there is a new company thats been started up by one of the top guys at Marzocchi. apparently he was the brains behind the legendary Bomber forks…
    the products look good although we have to wait before they create something affordable for us mere mortals…
    the website looks pretty good though, there’s even a Suspension Basics section giving advice on the following:
    Suspension Lesson
    Setting Sag
    Suspension Troubleshooting & Set-Up Tips
    Suspension Terms and Definitions
    Piston & Shim Technology
    DVO Suspension
    looks like Fox, Marzocchi and RockShox have some serious competition…

gonzy
    Free Member

the emerald DH fork looks really nice…if you have a green frame that is…

the jade shock also looks tasty…

i might have to sell some unwanted body organs to raise the money for them…

gonzy
    Free Member

just seen the retails price on Tweeks website…..£1794.99 for the Emerald forks!! 😕

LoCo
    Free Member

Wait and see, if they are that good, remember Ohlins are developing a DH fork which will be sameish price and will be the one to beat 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

How long before we see any useful trickledown?

Northwind

LoCo – Member

remember Ohlins are developing a DH fork which will be sameish price and will be the one to beat

Course, it might end up like a consumer/OEM ohlins like the 46hrcl I’ve got in the motorbike which isn’t actually all that hot, but is very gold…

bobbyspangles

that sag video doesn’t take into account riding gear

ianv
    Free Member

apparently he was the brains behind the legendary Bomber forks…

He was definitely the brains behind the 2008 “move to Taiwan, f..k up on quality and trash the Marzocchi brand” FUBAR, so I remain cynical amid all the hype he has managed to generate.

LoCo
    Free Member

it might end up like a consumer/OEM ohlins like the 46hrcl

Unlikely though really isn’t it

iolo
    Free Member

Cedric Gracia has been crashing them quite successfully over the last few races

honourablegeorge

gonzy – Member
    just seen the retails price on Tweeks website…..£1794.99 for the Emerald forks!!

Could buy two sets of Boxxers for that and spraypaint my arse green.

xiphon
    Free Member

The problem going straight to the ‘premium’ end of the market is – £1800 is a sh*tload for “privateer” racers to drop on a new (and thus, untested by the masses) product.

Never thought I’d see a pair of forks which make the 40s look cheap by comparison…

goodgrief
    Free Member

in I-cycles today, next to an Evil Undead frame and the new Raceface next sl crank

honourablegeorge

They’ve marketed themselves well though – their stuff has been all over the websites and under Cedric for well over a year now, maybe even two. Created themselves quite a buzz based on very little.

Northwind

Ah, pop into Steve’s and see how cheaply he’ll sell it. “Well it says £1800 on the sticker but… How about £3.47 and a bite of your energy bar?”

maxtorque

Silly question of the week: Why do dual crown forks still have a conventional steerer tube up the middle? Seems like you could save a bit of weight there no??

ianv
    Free Member

Fairly ironic that its next to an evil undead.

ratherbeintobago

Created themselves quite a buzz based on very little.

This. Interesting watching them grow the company/brand, but until very recently, their only ‘products’ were DH-based prototypes – has anyone seen photos of their Diamond enduro/trail fork that weren’t of a 3D printed mock-up?

legend
    Free Member

in I-cycles today, next to an Evil Undead frame and the new Raceface next sl crank

and yet that Transition in the window hasn’t sold after how long??

legend
    Free Member

ianv – Member
    Fairly ironic that its next to an evil undead.

Not sure I understand. Or are you thinking of the Revolt?

ianv
    Free Member

I meant that evil was probably the last bike brand to be so massively hyped, and that didn’t end well.

edward2000
    Free Member

Like I would expect a £500 bottle of champagne to keep me drunk of a week, I would expect these to float me down the hill.

JoeG
    Free Member

I believe DVO are only targeting the top of the line suspension market. I don’t think that they have any plans at all to offer more affordable products. Only time will tell if this business model works for them.

There are other brands that have been successful at doing this; Chris King for instance. But that doesn’t mean that DVO will succeed.

ratherbeintobago

I believe DVO are only targeting the top of the line suspension market. I don’t think that they have any plans at all to offer more affordable products. Only time will tell if this business model works for them.

There are other high-end only brands (DT/Bos) but I’m not sure this’ll work for them unless they increase the breadth of their range from a DH fork & shock (how big is the DH market these days?) and an enduro fork that so far only appears to exist as a model.

Does DVO not belong to one of the big manufacturers? (?Suntour)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m sure there will be a few mugs who buy them at that price, then tell us all how much faster they go, just by changing forks 🙂

I can’t imagine they will appeal to many DH racers, with most of the shoddy uplifts of bikes stacked against each other a USD fork puts the stanchions in perfect range for being wrecked.

Apart from the fact they are hilariously overpriced.

JoeG
    Free Member

Does DVO not belong to one of the big manufacturers? (?Suntour)

No. They are an independent startup. They have contracted Suntour to build their forks, as do many other firms.

cakefacesmallblock

It doesn’t’t matter who makes them. They’re still piss takingly expensive. They’ll make mincemeat of Surrey though 😉
    Both my bikes combined only cost about that !

dirtyrider
    Free Member

cheaper than the Curnutt’s were

legend
    Free Member

These make the DVOs look cheap too:

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m sure there will be a few mugs who buy them at that price, then tell us all how much faster they go, just by changing forks

Same as those throwing a heavy coil on a trail bike (CCDB Anyone? not exactly cheap!!)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

These make the DVOs look cheap too:

same people aint it? DVO is ex Marzocchi staff

batfink
    Free Member

It’s certainly an interesting business model – personally, I think x-fusion’s approach is going to be more successful in the long run. ie: offering good quality, affordable products, and building-up a reputation before asking people to part with a significant amount of cash on a top-end product.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

nah, well depends on your version of success,

x-fusion started with cheap forks, therefore will always be associated with cheap forks,

Louis Vuitton didn’t start with a £3 handbag did they?

just because you baulk at the cost does’t mean everyone does, there is a lot of money out there

batfink
    Free Member

nah, well depends on your version of success

Agreed – but staying in business is a pretty universal measure 😀

Joking aside, I get it…. they are not going for market share, they are trying to occupy the ultra-niche, money no object end of the market. I agree that there are always people that’ll buy the most expensive thing available, just for posing-points – but is that enough to fund R&D that has to deliver something that needs to be significantly better that something Fox, RS, MZ or Bos can deliver? Honestly I dunno.

ianv
    Free Member

I would be surprised if they are still around in a few years as they seem to have the same business model as a lot of 90s internet start ups. They have been funding the business for 2 years and spending a lot on marketing, they had a set up that was as big as Fox at the Andorra WC and one rider. They must have spent a pretty enormous wad of cash to date without generating any and they have targeted a very niche market that will never be big enough to allow them to recoup their investment.

I really don’t understand why they have been given the the easy ride in the media as it just seems like a fantasy business to me.

gonzy
    Free Member

from what i’d read at the time, the company plan to target the top end of the market first hence the ridiculously big price. the strategy goes hand in hand with their support of cedric gracia who is also aiding in the development of the technology by crashing a lot.
    i read that they will eventually bring out more affordable products which will benefit from the trickle down in technology from the top end stuff….this will happen probably once Gracia has crashed and broken everything they have in stock and the company realises they need something affordable for the masses in order to bring some real revenue in…

cookeaa

I would be surprised if they are still around in a few years as they seem to have the same business model as a lot of 90s internet start ups. They have been funding the business for 2 years and spending a lot on marketing, they had a set up that was as big as Fox at the Andorra WC and one rider. They must have spent a pretty enormous wad of cash to date without generating any and they have targeted a very niche market that will never be big enough to allow them to recoup their investment.

I really don’t understand why they have been given the the easy ride in the media as it just seems like a fantasy business to me.

I have to agree with pretty much all of that… As much as I love DH, I can’t really see there being a huge market for their fork not given the established competition…

You’d have thought their oft’ mentioned previous experience with Marz would have taught them the value of getting a viable product to market in a timely fashion and at an affordable price point… rather than a late, overpriced wet dream…

others have already mentioned X-fusions recent efforts to gain market share, they seem to have a much better strategy…

Northwind

OTOH, is this so different from BOS? Go back a few years and all I can remember hearing about was their race dh kit, then the trail fork, then the air shock, now they’re a (high end) oem choice too. DVO seem to be aiming even higher mind.

LoCo
    Free Member

Hopefully DVO have their aftersales warranty sorted and actually supplied the UK distributor with spare parts, though so you may actually be able to get their unit fixed if they break…. 😉

Northwind

Yeah OK, hopefully it is quite different to BOS 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘DVO Suspension’ is closed to new replies.