• This topic has 173 replies, 79 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by chip.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 174 total)
  • 650B – dead already
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

Nice ride with the Stanmer Tea Room crew – trails very dry, but some trail litter spicing things up a bit.

Nice and cool in the trees.

Interesting to see the different bikes in the group – Two turner five spots – 26″, two fully rigid ss (26 & 29″), a 160 mm canyon (26″) and a geared 29er hard tail.

Seems the marketing guys have done their best to split the herd!

No 650b though – IMO a dead standard already!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll just get a bag of kittens.

darkcyan
    Free Member

😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

N.b. not trying to start a punch up here – just don’t get this new standard for the life of me!

Tell me why I’m wrong.

DC

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you can’t use the search function? There is every conceivable discussion point used 3 times and from 4 different sides. Not sure there is anything else to add really.

zippykona

Perhaps not born yet would be more accurate.
    Let’s see where we are in 2 years.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Maybe none of your crew have gone to buy a new bike yet.. see how many new 26″ bikes you can find..

darkcyan
    Free Member

well – now the standard has been thrown at us it seems odd that there are no bikes out there – in my experience anyway.

Have the public voted with their wallets.

I’ve seen more fat bikes than 650b – now they are interesting.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Given manufacturers are stopping producing 26ers, it’ll be hard in a few years for people to be buying them.

Take Santa Cruz. Only the Jackal and V10 remain in the 26er line up. So what do you do if you want a new 26″ Nomad? Nothing. 650b or nothing.

If it’s dead, so will the industry be as they go bust with huge stocks of 650b bikes unsold and being committed to the format.

stevious

SCIENCE

svalgis
    Free Member

Marvelous conclusion. You’ve convinced me to ditch any plans I had on 650b and go for one of the many many mainstream current model 26″ bikes out there instead.

Oh.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Seriously? Another pointless 650b topic? Do we really need to run through this again? Can’t you just read the endless threads on every mountain bike forum that have already been thrashed out.

nuke

Given manufacturers are stopping producing 26ers, it’ll be hard in a few years for people to be buying them.

This. Its not a case of will or won’t 650b become the norm, if you can’t buy 26″ then there’s no question to answer

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m not sure if I blame Hitler, Thatcher or Blair the most for this one.

darkcyan
    Free Member

this is not a thread about the merits of 650b – it’s where are they?

darkcyan
    Free Member

this is not a thread about the merits of 650b – it’s where are they?

darkcyan
    Free Member

If you can’t buy a 26 inch bike (apart from the trillion billion second hand ones out there) why not 29″.

darkcyan
    Free Member

ok I’m gonna stop this right now!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Chuckles*

matther01
    Free Member

Does this mean there’ll be loads of 26″ tyre bargains soon? I best start stockpiling

darkcyan
    Free Member

yes – 26 will be the best second hand market ever! The only competition you will have is 99% of the people in the world who own mountain bikes.

matther01
    Free Member

Now you say it like that…I best be buying a 650b

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

*Chuckles*

Don’t give them names; it’ll just make it harder…

bearnecessities

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Does this mean there’ll be loads of 26″ tyre bargains soon? I best start stockpiling

Too late fella. I phoned five of my LBSs yesterday looking for 26″ tyres. One had some downhill tyres. One had some Spesh Ground controls, one had some cheap Raleighs, and two had nowt at all…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They are putting up a fight now…

Also my mate with a bike shop hasn’t sold any 26″ bikes this year all 650 and 29.

convert

How many of those bikes were brand new in the last 12-18 months? i.e. not new to the owner but new out of the shop? It’s only been in the last 12 or so months the there has been too many mainstream bike brands with a 650b in their range so the potential purchaser has a, felt confidence that it is a component choice they wanted to buy into and b, had a 650b in their LBS to drool over.

Any bike out there in the real world older that 12 months old is irrelevant as to how much the new size is accepted. I suspect there are a lot of ‘normal’ people like me that are not planning on binning their perfectly serviceable 26″ just because it has the ‘wrong’ sized wheel, but plan to move to 650b when their current bikes needs replacing for normal wear and tear reasons. It doesn’t mean we haven’t accepted it, we are just not mugs!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

“Where are they?”
    Surrey. 😀

sq225917
    Free Member

Surely with the release of the new yeti 26er we’ve managed to go full Circle in record time. Now all we need to do is get rid of those pesky 29ers and we can get back to riding sensible bikes.

Drac

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m awaiting the arrival of a new bike which has 650b wheels. Perhaps I should request a refund? I’ve no idea if they’re better than 26 or not, I just wanted a new bike and that’s what bikes are now. Have I fallen for the hype without even reading it? Yours confusedly…

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’m just planning to write 650b on the side walls of my tyres in tipex

Paceman
    Free Member

darkcyan – Member

yes – 26 will be the best second hand market ever! The only competition you will have is 99% of the people in the world who own mountain bikes.

Only for components which don’t wear out periodically; i.e. tyres, rims, forks and even frames have a limited lifespan and will only increase in price as they become more scarce, particularly the top-end stuff which you won’t be able to get new. As 26er components run out or break the switch to 650B for most will be unavoidable.

New entrants to our sport are also buying whatever MBR / WMB / MBUK / Evans etc are currently pushing or what is available in the LBS; this is 650B for the most part. These people are also not generally the users of this forum or representative of the Stanmer Tea Rooms Sunday Crew.

boltonjon

I ride in a club with 70+ regular riders, of which i’d say 20 have bought new bikes in the last 18 months

The group covers a broad spectrum of people, including weekend XC riders, some XC whippets and some enduro type people – but does not cover any full on DH riders

Of these, only 3 have bought 650B bikes

3 of us have bought Fatbikes whilst the rest have bought 26 or 29ers

People certainly ain’t jumping on it as quick at the 29er bandwagon

I’d say that’s a fairly representative cross section of the population

Hence, i’d say that they’ll be some real 650b bargains by this time next year when the manufacturers realise that the buying public can see that they’re not stupid enough to buy into something with such marginal benefits over the 26″ wheel

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve worked in the LBS for a few Saturdays recently to cover a staff shortage. Not worked in the shop for about 5 years, thing I’ve noticed… no one is interested in mountain bikes! Irrespective of wheelsize, there’s been a big shift in the interest of your average rider toward road bikes, at all price points. Very odd. Even the real ‘aspirational’ stuff – people just looking at nice bikes, no one who came in yesterday was looking at the carbon Enduros, or Epics, or Superflys, they were looking at the Pinarellos, Looks and Fondriests.

The OP’s assessment seems completely irrelevant in the context of what MTBs are being sold though!

tinytimbo
    Free Member

I’ve worked in the LBS for a few Saturdays recently to cover a staff shortage. Not worked in the shop for about 5 years, thing I’ve noticed… no one is interested in mountain bikes! Irrespective of wheelsize, there’s been a big shift in the interest of your average rider toward road bikes, at all price points. Very odd. Even the real ‘aspirational’ stuff – people just looking at nice bikes, no one who came in yesterday was looking at the carbon Enduros, or Epics, or Superflys, they were looking at the Pinarellos, Looks and Fondriests.

Very odd statement. I’d say mountain biking is bigger than ever and folks are splashing lots of money on high end mtb’s

Have to disagree with the roadie comment. I can’t think of anything worse than being a roadrat/Tarmac terrorist. I hate everything about it.

Pedalling on the road amongst loads of cars covering mile after mile of boring Tarmac or getting out in to the country side/trails and doing some amazing off roading. It’s a no brainier.

dekadanse
    Free Member

It may be a no brainer to you, tinytimbo, but he’s correct – in the current cycling boom, roadie riding is seen as cool as aspirational, whereas MTB riding is seen as…….odd. No doubt this is fuelled by the Tour and its various spin offs, and ex-MTB riders who are now roadie whippets that I talk to say it is the speed of a good road race bike which seduces them. Humph!

Personally I agree with you – tarmac is inherently limiting and boring, and the trouble with roadie riding is that you can never get ‘out there’ (gestures to distant track on hillside), and you’ve always got a car up yer bum. Plus I love to see wild places and wild life. But we’re in a minority I’m afraid old chum………….

The whole MTB wheelsize debate in this context just adds to the bemusement that most roadies feel when they look at mountain biking.
    Face it – we are perceived as ‘odd’!

superstu
    Free Member

I agree completely with Njee

My lbs which used to sell the odd road bike now has only about four mtbs. One very cheap, a Saracen Ariel they’ve been trying to sell for two years (yes really) and two others. The rest is cheap hybrid stuff or road bikes.

15 years ago they’d have 50 ish mtbs easily and they were flying out the door. They said that they never get any enquiries about them these days.

Back to the op point, as mentioned above 650b not different enough to bin what works, but due to lack of choice most people will move across as and when they replace either frame or complete bike.

njee20
    Free Member

Very odd statement. I’d say mountain biking is bigger than ever and folks are splashing lots of money on high end mtb’s

Have to disagree with the roadie comment. I can’t think of anything worse than being a roadrat/Tarmac terrorist. I hate everything about it.

By disagree, I assume you mean “not actually read”? 🙄 I didn’t say that’s the sort of riding you should be doing, or that it’s the best, just what the market is shifting towards, very markedly from 5 years ago. I had one customer who wanted to look at mountain bikes yesterday – a £900 one and a £600 hybrid to replace stolen equivalents. Every other customer seriously talking bikes, or just wanting to make small talk (probably 15 people) wanted to look at road bikes. Not an opinion, that’s fact, based on my experience.

One person idly looked at the new 650b Enduro – in pride of place – I pointed out what it was, he gave an uninterested ‘mmm’, and walked on!

We may not be representative of every shop, the shop is now loosely affiliated with a local road club, which yielded a couple of customers yesterday, but still.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

While there are loads of roadies about there are still loads of mountain bikers.

Where I live and ride mountain biking is huge.

I still don’t get the lure of the Lycra and road though. I can go as fast and keep up with roadies on my lightweight xc bike with slicks on (work bike) so speed can’t be the only addiction.

I went to Leisure Lakes at the weekend and it just have been about a 70/30 split in favour of mountain bikes and quite a lot of 650b.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘650B – dead already’ is closed to new replies.