Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • 617 Squadron Dams Raid
  • silverpigeon
    Free Member

My ex girlfriends grandfather was in 617 and was apparently due to fly on that mission, but couldn’t due to health reasons.

‘His’ plane never made it back and he would never speak about it.

JulianA
    Free Member

I did not mean to imply any lack of respect for any other squadron – of any command – or for any of the other forces… Sorry if anyone got that impression from my post!

It was just that it was that particular anniversary.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

The flypast at Derwent last year was well worth attending. It was not widely publicised to keep the numbers down (from speaking to a ranger out there) but the hillsides were still lined with people and the dam wall area looked busy.

three or four passes from the Lancaster, one directly over our heads on Winstone Lee Tor at about 80 ft up!, and several passes from a pair of Tornados, Spit and Hurricane, a Dakota etc. Well worth going.

800 pxl Lancaster Composite

Lancaster 2

tandemwarriors

Was at Derwent for the one of the anniversary flypasts. Awesome sight. Luckily as an apprentice tinbasher at Rolls-Royce Hucknall, I got to do some work for the BBMF at Coningsby, and spent many a happy day polishing the RR Spitfire at East Midlands airport. Happy days, but will never forget ‘the few’, and all the other flyers.

Indeed, lest we forget.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘617 Squadron Dams Raid’ is closed to new replies.