Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • 5 ‘must do’ rides in the UK?
  • MikeWW
    Free Member

After some ideas
    Not trail centre stuff – would like to plan a few rides.
    20 to 40 miles say(give or take) that maybe have this type of feel to them

nickc

Most of Wales. Most of Scotland. Some lake District. A bit of the Peaks. And some southern Woodland.

Daffy

Jacobs Ladder.
    Back of skiddaw.
    Garburn Pass.
    Grizedale forrest and associated area.
    Cannock chase but not the trail centre.

simon1975

Walna Scar Road
    Jacobs Ladder
    High Street
    The Wall descent at Afan
    and any snowy road today where you can laugh at all the struggling car drivers

hora
    Free Member

I’ve got down so far:
    Back of skiddaw.
    Garburn Pass.
    (inc Kentmere Green quarter)
    Aiming to ride in the Lakes twice a month.

High St? Anymore details on that?

snowslave

5 we’ve done relatively recently that would tick the wild/remote/big day out ticket.

Garburn Pass
    Torver/Dunnerdale/Seathwaite/Walna Scar Rd
    Howgills
    High Street
    Ceriog Valley

richc
    Free Member

On my list would be:

GlenCoe / Devils Staricase
    3 brethren ride around by Innerleithen.
    Black Mountains Ride taking in Lord Herefords Knob, Haff Bluff and Capel.

for the last 2 I would like to check out some more stuff on Skyke, Harris and the Lakes but the 1st 3 are definately there. Jacobs ladder was OK but I’ve ridden better stuff personally, so I don’t think it would make top 5.

simon1975

Yeah I’ve done High Street a couple of times. Go up from Hartsop to a reservoir from where you’ll have to push up a grassy slope (bridleway). Then go around onto High Street all the way down to Howtown or Pooley Bridge. Then there is a cracking bridleway all along the southeast side of Ullswater to terrify walkers on and get you back to where you started. A great day out; more about the superb views and isolation than technical riding. Take food.

Jacobs ladder is particularly good when stuffed with walkers 😉

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you can get up there I would recommend Torridon. We spent two days up there last year, best riding I’ve ever done. Hoping to go up again this easter. Big hills and views and top quality trails.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Dark peak in general, on a late september/october saturday, with sunshine.

The trails weill be baked hard and deserted, best days riding ever (Sheffield, Stanage, Golf course, cut gate, then back allong manchester road)

samuri
    Free Member

got to say, I wasn’t hugely impressed with high street. It’s Ok, but it wasn’t everything people had made it out to be. Back of skiddaw rocks though.

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – I enjoyed running High St. but when I rode it I was also a bit ‘under-whelmed’

snowslave

Simon1975 – your summary of High Street is spot on.

Anyone done Nan Bield – as featured in the mag a while back?

Richyb
    Free Member

3 passes

shinsplints

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pont-scethin-ride-pictures-mobile-phone-camera-content

Pont Scethin,N Wales – seems to fit the bill – 30 miles all in,awesome 😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

Shinsplints: Do you have a route for that trip (gpx would be utterly wonderful)?
    Or was it this one FlatTyres route

simon1975

Cheers Snowslave. Yes I’ve done Nan Bield too, a massive push going up from Small Water. It was 6 months after a broken collarbone so quite painful too. Superb views and a steep techy descent from the pass. There was a superb fast run down to Hayeswater on the outward run up from Staveley / Kentmere as well.

shinsplints

sharkbait – thats the one mate.We started from just outside Dol,gentle bimble along the Mawdacch trail ,then crossed the estuary & up into them thar hills.It was fkn brilliant,the rocky ,technical descents kicked the backside of any trailcentre I have been to.Lots of moto x bods up there though,so the trail was a little cut up & with it being frozen,made for interesting riding in places.Went over the bars due to said ruts !!! We were out for about 5 hrs I think,including stops for grub,shelter from the wind & 3 flats !!! Enjoy ! Some other great routes on that site aswell – doing the one round the Berwyns in a couple of weeks.

juan
    Free Member

one with peterpoddy
    one with rudeboy (bring some hearplug or cut his rear mech cable 😉 )
    one with foxychick and Mr foxychick
    one with WCA
    one with jojo

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Surrey Hills with someone who knows the area (late April/early May), just as it’s drying out, but before the bracken takes over.

Long Mynd

Big Peaks epic

Snowdon – up the Llanberis, down the Ranger.

Helvellyn

Bowderdale/The Calf

…and I’m sure there’s plenty more in Soctland

qwerty
    Free Member

HIGH STREET – i started at Kendal train station, ride out to Troutbeck and clamber up to the top, then ride to Penrith and get train back 💡

richc
    Free Member

I don’t reckon the Surrey Hills would ever make it into the Top 5 rides in the UK.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

one with rudeboy

You will have fun, this is guaranteed.

I am stunned that no-one has mentioned the Woods Behind Nationwide in Swindon.

simon1975

Which route for Helvellyn, Joh?

Fagus
    Free Member

High Street is OK. It’s a big push up from Hayeswater, then the ridge north is good, in the dry, but can be a bogfest in parts if wet. What really makes the ride is the way back from The Cockpit. If you go when the weather is nice to miss the bog on top, then the Ullswater singletrack is full of trippers. Bannerdale or Boredale are much quieter and give a “remote” feel to the ride, but you need navigational skills.

brant
    Free Member

Thursday night ride.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Anothe vote for Simon’s summary of High St. It’s one of those ‘rites de passage’ type rides especially if you do it in poor weather! To be honest, the ride along the top on High St itself is a little underwhelming. It’s hardly technical nor is it particularly fast until the final descent off High St down towards Howtown. But, as Simon says, the bridleway that takes you from Sandwick, tracking along the side of Ullswwater, back to Patterdale, has to be one of the very best bit of singletrack in the UK. It really is awesome.

Surrey Hills is a completely different sort of riding to Peak/Lake District and Scotland. I can understand why Richc wouldn’t rate it but you can have as much fun playing in the woods as you can coming down off Skidaw. It just doesn’t have that ‘big mountain’ feel to it.

richc
    Free Member

Are the Lakes a nightmare in the summer for riding, because of the number of walkers? As I am tempted to do a few more Lakes rides, but as its a long way I don’t fancy it in the winter and camping, or are some bits less walked so OK all year round?

grumm
    Free Member

Certain bits of the Lakes at a weekend in summer you can pretty much forget about. Eg the terrace above Rydal, or Jenkin Crag near Ambleside. There is still plenty of bits you won’t see that many ppl though, eg Gatescarth and Nan Bield.

Not been there riding yet but I imagine stuff like the bits around Wasdale won’t be too busy either as its a bit of an arse to get to.

Fagus
    Free Member

Are the Lakes a nightmare in the summer for riding, because of the number of walkers?

Generally speaking no. BUT you will inevitably have stretches where there are a lot of walkers. Most of them are very bike friendly, and so long as you don’t charge at them screaming for them to move, through your full face helmet, there will be few problems. Even though the Lakes are very popular the hills can absorb a surprising number of people. The real problem is in the towns and traffic/parking, especially if you arrive after 10AM

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I don’t reckon the Surrey Hills would ever make it into the Top 5 rides in the UK.

As I said – that depends how well you know it. I think it has some of the best woodsy singletrack in the UK.

Which route for Helvellyn, Joh?

We went up from Patterdale, past the YHA and mines (Swirral Edge?), then down Dollywagon Pike, to Grisedale Tarn, then left back down to Ullswater. Hugely technical, the weather was foul, and I really need to go back and do it again.

IHN

Ones I’ve done that I’d heartily recommend:

The Gap
    The Quantocks
    The Forest of Dean (esp. Sheldon’s FoD Killer Loop)

and, whilst low on the gnarl factor but high on the excellent way to spend a day factor, a summer’s day Cotswold tour wiv da STW Cotswold Massiv. Aiiit.

sharkbait
    Free Member

shinsplints: Cheers mate. Flattyres has a number of very good routes and our little group are looking forward to getting stuck into them this spring 🙂

dan_seed
    Free Member

I am interested in the skiddaw route people are mentioning (GPX would be fantastic)

Also any other routes in the lakes (planning a 4 day visit in april)
    Cheers

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

(Swirral Edge?)

Keppel Cove

eg … Nan Bield.

cos it’s shite :o)

AlasdairMc

richc – I completely agree on the Devil’s Staircase, although I find it best to combine it with a section of the West Highland Way so you can get a train back and avoid the boring road ride from Kinlochleven.

mccett
    Free Member

Snowdon
    Ladybower loop
    Berwyn Mountains loop
    Bristol Singletrack on something racy out to the Mendips.
    Any Peaks ride

richc
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice on the Lakes, I reckon I will try a 4 day weekend and have an explore as I really haven’t ridden there enough 🙂

btw: The Mendips/Bristol Trails and the Gap really shouldn’t ever appear on this list either IMHO 🙂

MikeWW
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far
    Will look through things in detail tonight as I want to get some trips planned
    Have done some of the stuff but a lot worth investigating
    It’s those rides where you get part way through,look round and the scenery/location take your breath away.Sure you must know what I mean.
    Any more suggestions welcome

jwt
    Free Member

Just THIS one for now, try and find some more links later…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘5 ‘must do’ rides in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.