Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 40th Birthday – What to do?
  • prezet
    Free Member

It’s my 40th in a couple of months. I feel like I should do something to remember, but struggling to think of ideas. I’m putting it to the STW collective to help me think of something!

What did you do for yours?

IHN

I came under a lot of pressure to do ‘something’.

I went to the pub with some friends.

Bez

I jumped on the train, met up with some good friends and rode up and down Ventoux three times.

JoB
    Free Member

i don’t think i did anything special on the day but filled the whole 40th year as an excuse for doing fun stuff with friends, i can’t remember now

Drac

I rode bikes with friends.

Seems to be theme here.

mahalo

Megavalanche?

binners

1. Coke
    2. Hookers

Saccades
    Free Member

Caanstat wasen

kayak23

I went to Peru.

I’d do a weekend away great riding somewhere though such as peebles.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I was all set for buying a dream bike for my 40th( a Potts 29er as it happens) went to Italy for a week instead and in retrospect that was the correct choice.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

It was Molini and it was biking btw. Something I’ll remember for a long time.

tomhoward

A chap I know organised a party for 100 odd of his mates in a stately home, jem organised a flash mob to propose to his girlfriend in front of all of them.

give that a whirl?

tomhoward

*then organised…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Frankly I wanted to book a cheap and nasty hotel for the night before my birthday, check in, drink special brew and Gratrunka until the sun came up – returning home tired, sore and hungover, but most importantly leave 39, return 40 and not have anyone mention it in between.

My Wife said that was weird and depressing so I went to the pub with some friends, 8 of us I think, which is about the max number of people I can handle at once, as long as I know them very well. Had a great night, got up feeling surprising bright – jumped on my bike on a blazing hot, sunny day and rode across town to pick up my car, Hangover hit half-way, but it was still a great ride whilst I accepted that I’d reached the ‘hump’ in life and was now mortal.

My best mate rented a place with a big garden from the council, got loads of stuff in for the kids and a big BBQ and it was a lovely family day out, but he’s, well sane and likes people so it was better suited to him.

Houns

Mine in 2 days. Have nothing planned for it, I know no one else will have bothered with anything, let alone a surprise/something special. I’m too skint to go away, it’ll be a year to the day since I got engaged (which then went to pot) so really it’s not going to be very special 🎻

km79
    Free Member

Two chicks at the same time.

bubs

MTBVerbier with a bunch of mates and culminating in a night on the town at Cheese fest.

bearnecessities

Funnily enough it’s mine on Friday; I procrastinated too much on what to do so am going to work instead and then down the allotment.

The patheticness of that even astounds me 🙂

freeagent
    Free Member

I went to see the Tinkerbell movie at the cinema with my 2 daughters who were 5 & 2 at the time.
    I’ve had worse birthdays.

jekkyl

My wife bought me a Cotic frame. We went to Coniston for a cheeky night away. I tried to ride over Walna Scar but the weather turned me back.
    It’s my wife’s 40th later this year I’m taking her to Amsterdam. .

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

two girls, twins probably, you’re just watching.

However I’m off the Japan for mine.

nerd
    Free Member

I had D&V for mine so did nothing but lie in bed and sit on the loo!

bueller
    Free Member

My 40th is also pretty soon. Really don’t want to do anything, which is annoying the family. I suppose its a good excuse to buy a new bike. Quite fancy a Mason Revolution. My 40th also coincides with leaving the forces after 24 years, so I’m going to take a couple of months off.

petec
    Free Member

I climbed Bowfell with the wife and kids.

It was ace. People I wanted to be with, and no pressure.

If you want to have a party, have a party. But don’t feel you have to.

Pieface

My Wife organised a big party with a disco and invited a load of friends. I was always a bit reluctant but it was great, one of the best days / nights in ages, especially as we went clubbing afterwards.

ThePinkster

Mrs.P organised a surprise rail-sail trip to Dublin so I spent mine in the Guinness & Jamesons Museums, finishing off in the Irish Writers Museum.

I might have visited a couple of other drinking establishments too. 🙂

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I did quite a few things.  Saw it as a landmark celebration.  Went to New York, got married to the woman of my dream after 13yrs together (eloped), came back had a small get together, spent time with my Mum – who died in the summer.

Do whatever you want but dont have any regrets.  And if you see it as a landmark age, do something positive with it.

Oh and I got a FS bike – of course.

gecko76

Bamboo bike

jabbi
    Free Member

Mine’s at the end of the year (Christmas eve). I’ll probably just ignore it like every other year. Too preoccupied with Christmas to bother usually! I also definitely don’t need the excuse to buy a new bike! Bought 2 nice ones this year!

akira

Had a bbq, invited lots of friends and family. Got drunk with them. Pretty good.

gecko76

For the day itself just went out for beers and whiskies, but did karaoke for my 39th which was more fun than anyone expected. Orange camo t-shirt worn inside out for maximum Bill Murray points.

keefmac

got a new bike, first one in about 12 years. think i went to the pub with the missus and some mates on the weekend.

duffle
    Free Member

@gecko76 looks nice…..when you taking the cardboard packing off??? 😉

makkag
    Free Member

Mine this year . Was going to splurge and fly a spitfire but need a new bathroom first . Bikes mates and beer somewhere I expect & maybe a festival . If you don’t mark the dates your just passing the time right

JoB
    Free Member

if you *have* to mark the dates you’re passing the time wrong

bearnecessities

I climbed Bowfel

You might actually have an idea there, thanks 🙂

sas78

Had mine two weeks ago today, took the day off work, went for a lovely walk with the dog in the Pentlands, went out for tea with the wife and kids. Barely spoke to a soul. Was a bit meh about it as it’s cack having your birthday in January but I had a great day!

It was my Mum’s 70th two days before my 40th and I wanted to do something with the folks so we’re taking the bairns and them up to Fort Bill and doing the Jacobite Steam train to Mallaig in the spring. Always wanted to go on a steam train and persuaded the parents to join us. I think this is really the 40th present I wanted – some nice memories! 🙂

My advice – do whatever makes you happy. People are amazed I wasn’t excited about it but I really wasn’t. Happy to just brae on.

makkag
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>if you *have* to mark the dates you’re passing the time wrong</span>

I prefer my way

grim168
    Free Member

I bought a paul hewitt tourer and did lejog for mine. I’m 50 this year and when asked I told my daughters (21 +24) that i want to sleep on a mountain in the lake district. Theyre both up for it and a birthday in august helps.

kayla1
    Free Member

I came under a lot of pressure to do ‘something’.

I went to the pub with some friends.

This, except replace ‘to the pub’ with ‘for a curry’ and ‘with some friends’ with ‘with my other half’. It was smashing. I also did my first DH race that year, which was pretty cool, but incidental.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘40th Birthday – What to do?’ is closed to new replies.