Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 4 person canoe
  • letmetalktomark

Over the weekend we hired a canoe for a couple of hours to go and have a paddle.

We had two adults and two children.

The two adults had a ‘seat’ at either end of the canoe but the kids sat in the hull(?) on a pad.

Looking at 4 person canoes do you typically get 4 ‘seats’ or designated places to sit? The ones I have seen on line and the ones available for hire didn’t seem to have these despite being for 4.

matt_outandabout

You will need a pretty sizeable one.

This is our 17′ Nova Craft. It has three seats and a bag or box that a fourth can sit on.

You can add permanent or temporary seats to canoes.

One red flag is that one canoe is a VERY difficult rescue in deep water. Add in family swimming around and it’s a real issue. With two canoes self rescue is much easier and quicker. Hence why we mainly run two canoes.

Loch Achray

Loch Dochart Canoe

Canoe on Loch Venechar

Edit: temporary seat.

matt_outandabout

Permanent seats are best from Apache Canoes – you cut them down and alter hanging blocks to fit them. Simple woodwork and drilling, kits are complete with all that you need.

http://apachecanoes.com/seats%2Fgunwales%2Fyoke

I also know of somewhere about to sell a couple of big canoes secondhand… PM me.

geomickb
    Free Member

Yeah, it does sound like you may be safer with two canoes. (Side airbags can help with deep water rescue).

I use one of these : https://www.endlessriver.co.uk/seats-bolts/add-a-passenger-canoe-seat/

I like being able to pull it out when paddling solo or tandem. I also like the fact that it can be moved to adjust trim. Hmm starting to sound like you could just use a box….

Dare I say maybe even a canoe and a SUP, may be easier to store/carry. Maybe even a canoe and two SUPS… 🙂 Joking aside, it depends on the age of the children. I think as they get older they find it more interesting when they have their own boat instead of just being a paddling passenger.

mrl

We have a pelican 14.6 dlx wide and it is good for two adults and two kids. Three adults is ok too. We have the fabric hanging seats as extras.

Only paddle on flat water and gentle rivers. Sounds like the two above are a lot more experienced so I might be overloading mine!

matt_outandabout

Dare I say maybe even a canoe and a SUP, may be easier to store/carry. Maybe even a canoe and two SUPS… 🙂

B+1

😎

And yes they do get to an age where they want thier own boat.

Aviemore Overnighter

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

We initially bought an Old Town Discover 169, which is pretty big and heavy. We fitted one of the apache seats across the middle for 2 wee boys.

However, the boys have grown, and additional loads mean that we need more flexible capacity. We moved to two Venture Ranger 16s. We have still fitted centre(ish) seats allowing solo paddling, or one adult in the centre and a press-ganged recruit at the bow and stern.

This weekend we did an overnight trip from Aberfeldy to Dunkeld on the Tay. We needed the space in 2 boats for 4 people and all the gear.

There is a thread somewhere about carrying canoes on vehicles… Enjoy!

matt_outandabout

Only paddle on flat water and gentle rivers. Sounds like the two above are a lot more experienced so I might be overloading mine

It’ll be reet. 😉

To be fair, a few of us posting are on big Scottish lochs and rivers – a big difference from southern England ponds and streams…

sweepy
    Free Member

Ally do a folding 18 footer which is pretty light.

letmetalktomark

Thank you folks. Some really good information here.

I should have added that the waterways around here are incredibly tame – don’t read that as being complacent with water safety though! – so we might look at starting with just the one.

Do they travel okay on a purpose made roof mount?

matt_outandabout

Mine travel on a normal roof bar set.
    No need for anything fancy.
    The only things to bear in mind are what roof load weight does your car have, some can be very small these days. Also be aware to tie them down well, they can be susceptible to big winds or just exert a big load on bumpy roads.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Do they travel okay on a purpose made roof mount?

There’s a point when it becomes easier to switch over to OpenCanoeTrackWorld, aka Song of the Paddle.

https://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/cars-and-canoes-a-visual-guide-t23826.html

beamers

Here’s our Mad River Journey 167 (big enough for 2 adults and an 11 year old and 8 year old) mid way through loading onto the roof:

I’ve got a set of Thule Pro bars with slideable load stops. These hold the boat in place laterally when the vehicle is moving, with ratchet straps over the top and tie downs front and rear.

With the load stops slid to the end of the bars the boat can hook over them during the loading operation.

(Have you discovered the Song of the Paddle forum yet?)

letmetalktomark

Thanks again folks.

I will check out the forum.

beamers

Our 4 person canoe in action in Glen Affric last week:

matt_outandabout

What a view!
    We didn’t get ours out last week to my dismay – a combination of wind/weather and pre-arranged rides.

I am in need of a winter bivvi alone with a canoe I think.

beamers

There was a 24 hour rain free window up here Matt so we headed to Loch Beinn a Mheahoin for an overnighter.

No rain, no wind, no midges, no other people wild camping and all that rain fall had filled the loch to the very brim. It was spot on!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I was on that same loch in my packraft last week – was gorgeous!

beamers

@yourguitarhero – Were you there on Thursday afternoon?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Was up Tuesday and Wednesday

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘4 person canoe’ is closed to new replies.