Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • 4 hours on the roadbike……………….how boring…………..;o)
  • ton

just got in from a 4 hour torture session on the roadbike.
    for all you guy's who do this on a regular basis, how the heck do you do it.
    it is so **** boring.
    no wonder roadies do not smile……….. 😀

but i suppose it serves a cough'training'cough purpose.

thepodge
    Free Member

Road bikes are FNF

Fitness not fun

cp

It's all about the speed, so you've got to be caning it all the time, or at least go through spells of caning it. Awesome feeling when you're on it 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

If you say so 😉

Get with the right people, with a nice enough day, with plenty of hills, a decent cafe stop and no stupid drivers trying to knock everyone off, and its brilliant.

finbar
    Free Member

Are you riding on your own? It's pitting yourself against other riders that's the fun bit. Go out with a club, contest a few sprints.

GJP
    Free Member

Classifieds are over there –> 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Tony I could have told you that and saved you the bother :o)

alanf
    Free Member

Cobains not dead – he rides in the Alps 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Pyrenees actually, and I'm sure my dad will be pleased to hear that (if he knows who Cobain is..)

Stu_N

I think Ton knows where the classifieds are 🙂

westkipper
    Free Member

Clearly you are not yet at the stage of appreciating the total ZEN aspect of roadriding- stick with it, it'll happen (or you'll get run over by a motorist, whatever).
    Myself, I dont understand MTBers that spend four hours pushing their bikes uphill for ten minutes cycling downhill… Now thats boring…

druidh
    Free Member

You're just not doing it right or you're in the wrong place.

warton
    Free Member

I love road biking. I love going uphill on a road bike, it feels so right compared to an mtb.

ton

also, why are all roadies built like this………

RepacK
    Free Member

A bike is a bike..
    I love 'em both 😈

warton
    Free Member

prefer to be like that than like you

ton

it is so so easy……….. 😉

nosherduke996
    Free Member

The reason roadies are like stick insects, is because road riding is obviously better for you. { Lights blue touchpaper and stand clear}

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ton, go and ride Cycle Oregon. Nearly all 2200 places gone in three days. Road riding doesnt get any better.

Home

druidh
    Free Member

ton – Member
    also, why are all roadies built like this………

LOL – you've not met me yet…

rOcKeTdOg

4 hours? only half a ride today then?

Kit
    Free Member

ton – completely agree with you…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I pity those who don't get road riding

ton

4 hours? only half a ride today then?

tapering????? 😉

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

you should've gone fixed gear all the grinding up hills spinning down them and general pain means it never gets boring

westkipper
    Free Member

Ton, even that pictured stick insect would be capable of using drop bars (whooaa, bitcheee!) 🙂

ton

west kipper
    i am sat applying voltarol gel to my wrist joint as i type……… 😉

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Ton were did you go – I’ve had some cracking 4hr rides up the dales – and around Otley/ Washburn valley – nice quite roads and awsome scenarry – especially when it falshing past at 30mph – I even enjoy the challenge of climbing on the road bike

Ed2001
    Free Member

Join a club.

mikey74
    Free Member

I've always thought that if you find road riding boring then you aren't trying hard enough :mrgreen:

westkipper
    Free Member

I'd try and find some informal mates to share the time with.
    If you join the right club you might indeed have a great time, but if you join the wrong one then it could put you off road cycling forever.
    (as much as I prefer the road, it has to be said that a lot of highly-strung, sneering intolerant fudds are kind of drawn to the club scene)

RealMan
    Free Member

He has got a point though, look at a bunch of roadies, and they're all quite slim (generally). Look at a bunch of mtbers, and there's always one or two who could stand to lose a bit.

mogrim

I did my first "proper" ride on a road bike last week – assuming 3 hours is enough for the experts on here 🙂

It was great, climbing on a road bike is much more fun. MTB tomorrow, though.

oldgit
    Free Member

Odd that innit. See now you've said that I'm trying to put into words what I love about it but just can't.

I suppose one aspect I really enjoy is pacing along knowing youre going hard and fast yet finding it easier than ever before and climbing a killer hill and not having to recover at the top, plus I just love the bikes.

gee
    Free Member

Road rides are really fun when there are 2+ riders out. Very social. Solo road rides (which all of mine for the last 2 weeks have been….) are boring as hell. iPod helps.

GB

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I find an iPod chock full of DnB allways helps me out… 8)

But, like a lot on here, I do actually enjoy it..

oldgit
    Free Member

I prefer a solo session myself.
    Choosing a good route helps. And I like to pretend to be a 1970s Belgian hardman 😐

Free Member

Road riding is pretty damned enjoyable! A great social element and more so when there is a good cafe stop half way. The sprint to the lights/sign, climbing and then that aero tuck trying to get as much free speed as possible. Grand stuff.

Out on the other bike, much more laughing, more drinking (if night riding anyway) more p*$$ taking, silly downhill bits that if you loose concentration you're off.

All different and brilliant i'll soon be doing both!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i just use the road bike to get a quick ride in from my front door, as i have to drive to get to MTB'ing. For that purpose its great.

i keep thinking of joining a club but i'm worried about how "serious" it will be. Wasn't there a post on here a while back from a roadie complaining about a MTBer who came along and didn't follow all their rules??

ton

i think i might shave myself below the waist……
    see if i enjoy it more then………….. 😉

nick, dandilion and burdock 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘4 hours on the roadbike……………….how boring…………..;o)’ is closed to new replies.