Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • 4 hours on the roadbike……………….how boring…………..;o)
  • Coleman
    Free Member

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. 😉

ElNino
    Free Member

He has got a point though, look at a bunch of roadies, and they're all quite slim (generally). Look at a bunch of mtbers, and there's always one or two who could stand to lose a bit.

That's because MTB'ing is a social event, the road is "proper" cycling 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hahaha..

Errr…

Dandilion n Burdock 😉

jonb
    Free Member

Some people don't get road biking. I find it's normally the same people who whine about going uphill i.e. the unfit ones 😉

Road biking is all about fitness IMO. You don't plan your routes around the best decents but the biggest nastiest climbs in the area.

Plan your routes to take in something interesting. I started road biking I'd always try and put in a section along the sea front or Cheddar gorge was always a good section.

I find riding on my own very relaxing. Gives me time to think or just let my mind wander. Riding in a group is good, especially the climbs and sprints where there's a bit of competition. A bit of team work is nice as well, first time your in a group working together where you can sit in the middle of a bunch and freewheel at 30mph+ is ace. Hurts like hell when you hit the front though.

ton

ssshhuussshh……..rugby's on. 🙄

Free Member

I saw them just after xmas at the Rise Reunion … seems so long ago now!

simon_g

I was out for about 4 hours on my (new) roadbike today too. Really enjoyed it – used my GPS to navigate for the first time so was just following a black line out of London and to the Essex country lanes, back through Epping. Bike is ace too, one of the first times I've got back from a first ride and not had a shopping list in my head of bits that need changing about. Not even a puncture or some appalling driving could spoil my mood today.

I like just being away from daily life for a few hours – MTB generally needs so much concentration it's good for completely forgetting what's going in your head, road riding is a great way to have the time and space to work through it.

IainGillam
    Free Member

I actually find road cycling more fun than mtb, riding in a small group is the most fun,if your not feeling too fast you can sit up and have a chat, if your feeling good you can try and mash each other sprinting for signs and the like. Solo's not as good, but I find I just zone out afer a while unless doing intervals which makes the ride go super fast. And to think a couple years ago my only bike was a DH bike and I would neaver intentionally ride up a hill!

Iain

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you didn't enjoy it it's certainly because you've got the wrong road bike. Try a different one next week. 🙂

ton

bd, i did enjoy it, i was just joking.
    typical reaction seeking…………. 😉

zaskar
    Free Member

ton – Member
    just got in from a 4 hour torture session on the roadbike.
    for all you guy's who do this on a regular basis, how the heck do you do it.
    it is so **** boring.
    no wonder roadies do not smile………..

but i suppose it serves a cough'training'cough purpose.

You're going too slowly!

And also try riding with a few mates as time flies by :mrgreen:

yetiguy
    Free Member

Ton, how many miles did you do in 4 hours.

Road biking is meant be done "hard", its not a gentle ride around the countryside (not saying you did that)

I am a roadie at heart that does mountain biking as an additional fitness source.

Roadies rule dude !!

Proper riding!! 😀

ton

45 miles with a 15 minute coffee stop.
    it was a gentleish ride around the countryside.
    and i am doing it for a bit of a boost in my exercise regime……… 😆

yetiguy
    Free Member

Thats why it was boring, the equivalant of me saying MTB is boring and when asked why , i say i went for a pootle round the blue route ……. 😀

ton

go on, admit it………..it is boring, in't it.
    you just have to look at road cyclist's faces to see they are bored and not enjoying theirselves…. 😀

mattymer
    Free Member

is that Robbie savage in the first picture?????

ton

is that Robbie savage in the first picture?????

don't know, but the one in the k.o.m shirt is 'realchild' 😆

zaskar
    Free Member

ton – Member
    45 miles with a 15 minute coffee stop.
    it was a gentleish ride around the countryside.
    and i am doing it for a bit of a boost in my exercise regime………

He's doing alright.

ton – Member
    go on, admit it………..it is boring, in't it.
    you just have to look at road cyclist's faces to see they are bored and not enjoying theirselves….

No I don't like road riding, I **** love it!!!! (in the dry) 8)

ton

seriously, i said 'hey up, or hello'to at least 4 or 5 blokes coming the other way, not one said anything back.
    and i had my roadie tights on too………….. 🙄

yetiguy
    Free Member

He's doing alright.

For a mtber perhaps !!

Seriously 12mph average, !! 😯 🙂

Kuco

Maybe they don't like you Ton? Most cyclist I see on theroad will nod or say hi doesn't matter what bike they are on. And if they don't so what you don't say hello to everyone you pass walking on the street.

yetiguy
    Free Member

seriously, i said 'hey up, or hello'to at least 4 or 5 blokes coming the other way, not one said anything back.
    and i had my roadie tights on to

Ok Ton, now there i agree with you, MTBers are generally a more freindly bunch, i have found that with the roadie crew unless you have all the kit, they wont acknowledge you, and if you look like a commueter forget it.

On the other hand, the speeds at which they pass each other is much faster than the general exchange that happens when mtbers converge at the top/bottom of a fire road climb!

ton

i am thinking about getting a team top and matching helmet.
    what team is 'in' at the mo…..?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I really like road riding. Having good roads really helps though.
    Quiet, scenic and undualting roads. Keeps the mind busy.

zaskar
    Free Member

ton – Member
    and i had my roadie tights on too…………..

We're/they're knackered probably lol

yetiguy
    Free Member

i am thinking about getting a team top and matching helmet.
    what team is 'in' at the mo…..?

😯

Woah! woah! big boy – Do not ride in team kit, it is the biggest noobie give away !

If you think they blanked you today, put team kit on and they will ride the other way !! 😀

davefarmer
    Free Member

I find in both mtbing and road riding there are boring moments, and thrilling moments. Usually the thrills come out of what you put in, ie, try hard/go faster and the fun increases, mtb or road.

I find some people on road bikes do not acknowledge you (I tend to smile/say hi to everyone) if you look too 'pro' or vice versa.

I find some people on mtbs do not acknowledge you if you say hi and are part of a different niche to them. This seems to happen more often to me than road riding!!!

I often ride in Lycra offroad, fat/slow people in baggy shorts look down their noses at me. Doesn't bother me, I only see them for a short while. They can rarely keep up:)

MrSmith
    Free Member

"i am thinking about getting a team top and matching helmet.
    what team is 'in' at the mo…..? "

you want the white one with red dots.

yetiguy
    Free Member

you want the white one with red dots.

no no no

Buries face in hands…….

ton

😆

radoggair
    Free Member

ton trolling again i see. Hook, line and sinker………………!!!!!

Kuco

I actually prefer road riding solo but prefer company mtb'ing.

teagirl
    Free Member

I road ride to train for off-road. So roading is fast, boring and I don't have to wash the bike. I don't laugh and just nod hello to passing roadies. I did The Roses Round last June, lovely scenery but the social aspect just wasn't there, most of the starters just dismissive of us! Finished tho'! Did the Joux-plane few years ago, before breakfast….

Off-roading is much harder and I feel completely trashed after a good day out.

Value for money/fitness/social? Mountain biking!! Actually, I think it's a saddle thang!

samuri
    Free Member

Road riding made fun.

Find some huge massive dirty great hills. Ride up them really quickly (admittedly, if you don't like climbing then perhaps road riding is not for you). Smile big at the top because you're such an ace climber.

Then ride down the other side at 50mph+, smile big at the bottom, repeat.

To enjy road riding you generally need to be fairly quick and fast and have massive big descending balls, perhaps this is where you fail.

jabbathehut
    Free Member

I bought my road bike to keep the legs going when i didnt have the time to head to the trails. I would just pop out for an hour or two and i really surprised myself just how much i enjoyed it.

It keeps me sane and keeps the legs strong for when i meet up with the lads i bike with. And i bloody need all the help i can get keeping up with them.

Bugger who rides what and putting everything into categories. Riding is riding and i find they compliment each other. 😀

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Tony,

Did I see you riding towards Garforth from the M1 j47 roundabout lunchtimeish?

tootin

cyclocross gives you the perfect balance… 🙂

CHB

ton, if you fancy a run out give me a shout.

ton

radoggair – Member
    ton trolling again i see. Hook, line and sinker………………!!!!!

me……………never…. 😆

smuzzy………..yes mate, about 1ish
    conrad………will do mate.

scotabroad

Tony mate whats with the training regime? Seem to remember a bloke on here saying "just ride yer bike man" when I enquired about a training regime for the Keilder 😀

Good trolling btw…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘4 hours on the roadbike……………….how boring…………..;o)’ is closed to new replies.