Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • £3kish to spend, which brandnew bike. AM/Enduro style
  • oldskooler
    Free Member

You’ll see from some of my previous posts, my mind changes more than the wind on which make/model I’m after.

Thought I’d put it out to the good people of singletrack.

£3kish budget, must be brandnew, preferably full build.

26 or 650b, but leaning towards 650b.

General AM riding, most weekends spent riding DH/techy trails but riding back to the top of them.

Will also be racing Enduro again this year. A bike that can take 180mm fork would be an advantage for trips to the Alps.

ta!

EDIT: 140-160mm FS.

jam-bo

kona process. best bike i’ve ridden in a long time.

cultsdave
    Free Member

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/orbea-rallon-x10-650b-2014/15508

Check the reviews, I bought the cheapest version and have upgraded to the BOS suspension. Not got it yet though.

sharkattack

Nukeproof Mega. AM or TR depending on preferences.

De-stickered of course.

oldskooler
    Free Member

Mega and Process currently on the list, just seeing if there’s anything I’ve missed.

Scamper
    Free Member

Meta am? still may be cheap 2013 builds around and commencal sell frames/ bikes direct.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

YT Wicked 650B Pro?

Spec looks pretty tough to beat for the money (though I realise that isn’t the be-all and end-all)…

Sancho
    Free Member

I think most people have reservations for the YT based on the BOS suspension.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Ah, fair enough. They do a 170mm travel Wicked Comp that uses Rockshox f&r that’s about two thirds of the price…! Edit: 26″

sharkattack

I have a YT with Bos suspension and would not hesitate to buy that YT if I had enough life tokens.

nwill1
    Free Member

Never seen one in the flesh but surely the build on that YT alone is worth £2700!!

Euro
    Free Member

Why do you need 180mm forks for the Alps?

jeffm
    Free Member

Lapierre Zesty AM 527 650b that’s £3200 150mm front and back.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Does it absolutely have to be brand new, If I had £3000 to drop right now on a bike. That Nicolai in the classifieds is essentially perfect!

oldskooler
    Free Member

@Euro, I didn’t say it “needs” 180mm forks for the Alps, I said would be an advantage. Just to slacken the HA a little and an extra bit of travel, IMO you may as well if you’re in a lift assisted place.

Main reason for being brandnew is, warranty side of things.

Heard too many bad things about the YT’s.

Will look into the Zesty.
    Thanks

robbonzo
    Free Member

Id be going straight for the process.

honourablegeorge

That Zesty has a 150mm Fox 32 fork which would rule it out for me.

You want a Spicy with a Pike really.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Orange have got a few ex-demo Patriots at around £2400 if that tickles your fancy?

sharkattack

Don’t Lapierre’s have those horrific plastic bottom brackets? The ones that sound like a music box after 5 minutes?

And it’s not like no ones ever snapped one.

lilbare88
    Free Member

Consider the spicy 527. 160mm upfront with the fox 34s. Got mine just shy of 3k. It’s not plastic carbon so won’t be snapping like there range were last year!!

kimbers

as a process 153 owner im naturally going to recommend my bike
    it just seems to get better every time I ride it
    its incredibly confidence inspiring, my poor DH bike literally hasnt been touched since it arrived and I cant wait to get it to the Alps in the summer

my only criticism is that it could be lighter, but it still climbs OK and if I can get together the cash for some carbon wheels…….

although I hear they are pretty much sold out now and trying to push the 2015 production forward!

messiah
    Free Member

Does it absolutely have to be brand new, If I had £3000 to drop right now on a bike. That Nicolai in the classifieds is essentially perfect!

This^^

Although having experienced an awesome AM 29er I would add one of these to the must consider list.

Linky

Add a Reverb Stealth.

daver27
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel 152

Click

crush83
    Free Member

Carbon norco range 650B?

whippetboy
    Free Member

My biased opinion would be a Cube Stereo HPC Race as I have one and it’s pretty damn good. Although I’d definitely be checking out the Nukeproof Mega as I’ve heard nothing bad about that. Maybe Trek Slash 7? Orange 5? Test ride whatever it is you’re thinking of getting though.

honourablegeorge

Second that Nicolai

Sounds ACE

bowie278
    Free Member

I’m with Daver27,

Saracen Ariel 152 all the way. If I was after a new bike I’d snap one up in a heartbeat.

daver27
    Free Member

here’s my Ariel 15x..

utterly amazing thing

crankrider
    Free Member

There are so many bikes in this bracket now – brilliant ones too and you should be able to get one that suits your riding.

3k budget gets you the mid level big manufacturer bikes or top flight direct sellers.

Canyon and YT will beat everything out there on spec and from what i have heard the Canyon is a very sorted ride too. The Nukeproof looks good for the money too but is a big old thing in comparison to the more racy stuff 2014 is bringing

Edit – that sounds like a good thing for the op if you do a lot of dh etc….

As mentioned above – why on earth have some of them put 32mm forks on bikes of this type?!

robarnold
    Free Member

I’d be going for the Cube Stereo if you’ve got another £99 spare

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/cube-stereo-super-hpc-160-race-650b-2014/14857

Johnbot
    Free Member

Sharkattack – how do you de sticker a Mega when the stickers are under a clear coat??

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘£3kish to spend, which brandnew bike. AM/Enduro style’ is closed to new replies.