Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 38 – 39 year age groups receive vaccine invitation today
  • Bunnyhop

You can book on line.
    Have your nhs number ready.

You will be given Moderna or pfizer.

:0)

dantsw13

You don’t need your NHS number – you can identify with name/DOB/address instead.

Bunnyhop

Thanks Dan.

robvalentine

Booked mine, thanks for the reminder, also if like me you are 37, but will be 38 by 1st July you can also book.

GrahamS

Me, surprised there is anyone under 40 left on this forum 😲

IHN

/\ That

vanilla83
    Free Member

Tried to book mine in Bristol today at 7am as soon as it opened but only two centers taking bookings and end of next week onwards.

Thought there were 19 places in Bristol doing them – is this because they aren’t offering us the AstraZenica maybe? Or just everywhere else fully booked already?

Robz
    Free Member

I’m 39 and got mine last week without booking…

But I live in Scotland 😎

duncancallum

I’m 39 in Scotland and the 40 plus group only just having theres next week

tthew

Wales have opened vaccination to anyone over 18 now all the high risk groups are largely covered. Seems sensible to me, why dick about with small cohorts.

SirHC

Had an invite on Tuesday, 35. Guess Leamington is a bit further ahead.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

do they contact you to tell you this, or are you just supposed to know? the missus in scotland (36) is being jabbed early june – i’m in england and 34, so hopefully can’t be too far away!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

do they contact you to tell you this, or are you just supposed to know? the missus in scotland (36) is being jabbed early june – i’m in england and 34, so hopefully can’t be too far away!

I think it’s down to your local area, but if you don’t phone them, eventually they contact you before opening up to the next cohort.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Wales have opened vaccination to anyone over 18 now all the high risk groups are largely covered. Seems sensible to me, why dick about with small cohorts.

I was going to say the same, but it seemed like gloating ha ha.

My 23 year old Sister had hers 2 weeks ago, I’m having my 2nd in a few weeks.

tthew

do they contact you to tell you this, or are you just supposed to know?

Think it varies depending on your GP. Anecdotally older age groups got called, maybe because they’re less likely to just crack on with sorting out an internet appointment.

SirHC

Got a text message from the surgery I’m registered to.

eskay

@vanilla83

Tried to book mine in Bristol today at 7am as soon as it opened but only two centers taking bookings and end of next week onwards.

I am in Keynsham and struggled to get one locally that would also allow me to book a second one. I ended up having to have my first jab at the Bath & West Showground (loads of availability) and my second one is in Longwell Green

olddog

My experience was that there are basically two routes to booking. NHS website, book yourself when your age cohort is enabled. Will give a range of sites and dates to book.

Contact via GP surgery which came a day or two after I’d booked via NHS website.

I think there will be fewer slots for you youngsters as they need to give us more senior types our second dose. At the moment it’s 3/4 to 1 in favour of second doses

RDL-82
    Free Member

Just booked mine for tomorrow. Hopefully don’t end is as rough as when I actually had COVID 🤞

Curious though. Seeing as we are allowed an alternative to AZ if we want. How many of you will take it and what preference have you got?

Pfizer or Moderna?

If the alternative, why? Because of the blood clot issue or because you feel they are ‘better’.

I really don’t know what to choose.

stcolin
    Free Member

I’m booked, but have since got a couple of texts asking me to book. I’m guessing a few systems aren’t synced with each other.

rOcKeTdOg

Had my second in March, keep up at the back!

I really don’t know what to choose.

There are a lot of people around the world not lucky enough to be offered any vaccine at all, just take whatever they give you.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If the alternative, why? Because of the blood clot issue or because you feel they are ‘better’.

You’re not “offered” an alternative like it’s a choice, you’re offered an alternative and you’ll take the one you are offered.

As I understand it the risk/benefit swings quite quickly around 40. You’re not just less likely to develop severe COVID-19 symptoms, but actually twice as likely to develop lethal blood clots from the AZ vaccine.

It’s still a very small risk, but now larger than the risk to you of catching COVID-19.

@Rocketdog

There are a lot of people around the world not lucky enough to be offered any vaccine at all, just take whatever they give you.

It’s not about that, it’s ostensibly safer to give the AZ vaccine to older people (who still need their 2nd jabs) than younger as they are at lower risk of blood clots from it.

RDL-82
    Free Member

I appreciate that and intend too, but offer people an option and it’s natural to question which is ‘best’ and whether there’s a benefit to one over the other or whether this is just an exercise in keeping people happy after all the clotting headlines.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57021738

The risk of a clot is roughly one in 100,000 for people in their 40s, but rises to one in 60,000 for people in their 30s. Two in a million people in their 40s died rising to four per million people in their 30s

Bunnyhop

tinas – is correct. There is no choice. You won’t know until you get to the vaccination centre.

footflaps

As I understand it the risk/benefit swings quite quickly around 40.

Quite complex.

The cut off point, where one is higher than the other, varies with age and chance of getting CV-19. So as the prevelence of Covid falls the cross over ages rises. I guess the chance of getting a blood clot is also changing as they get better stats on AZ as more people have it.

This was from 8th April.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kYkL7w]AZ benefit[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

https://www.ft.com/content/5db4a13f-11b1-4f1e-891b-9f68c639a6f9

RDL-82
    Free Member

You’re not “offered” an alternative like it’s a choice, you’re offered an alternative and you’ll take the one you are offered.

Makes sense. I didn’t realise that was the case. I assumed it was a case of you can have one of the alternatives if you wanted.

Like I said. I would have had AZ and still will if that’s what it was.

csb

Bristol… only two centers taking bookings

From my mates who’ve had it we’ve concluded that the Phizer is so hard to store it seems to be given at the main centres (ashton gate) and even then, seems to be given out in the morning. The system for pharmacy vaccination and GP referral now seems to have been largely superseded by the mass centre model.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep, what footflaps said, I skipped over that by saying

It’s still a very small risk, but now larger than the risk to you of catching COVID-19.

The age at which the balance of risk changes will (hopefully) creep up over time.

It’s why there is no longer mass smallpox vaccination (although there are stockpiles in case of an outbreak) because the small risk posed by vaccination would be larger than the risk posed by smallpox.

lucky7500

I’m 39 in Scotland and the 40 plus group only just having theres next week

43 in Scotland here and nothing yet.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Curious though. Seeing as we are allowed an alternative to AZ if we want. How many of you will take it and what preference have you got?

Pfizer or Moderna?

I had AZ with a big smile on my face, and nothing but gratitude in my heart, but if I’d had the choice and assuming it didn’t mean a delay in getting it etc I’d probably say Pfizer.

Blood clots whilst very very rare are a risk, and you can reduce that risk with the others.

The bigger reason, whilst Pfizer and Moderna are confident their vaccine doesn’t need to be modified for any current known strains, including the scary sounding “double mutant” Indian strain. AZ hasn’t made the same claim as far as I know.

I only pick Pfizer over Moderna as its been around longer (well, longer in Covid times) and it’s more likely a new, otherwise unknown dangerous side effect will have been found by now.

That said, IRL we have two vaccine centres local to me, 1 is huge, not quite purpose built but less ‘field hospital’ than the other, it can deliver 3000 jabs a day and is rarely at full capacity, they give the AZ and you can usually get in the same day if you call from any age group (over 30) The other is the first out of hospital site, it’s much smaller and was set up initially for NHS staff, it has the kit to give the Pfizer but it’s about a 10 day / 2 week wait.

citizenlee
    Free Member

I’m 40 in NE Scotland. I was meant to have mine on Monday passed but had a work meeting so couldn’t make it. Still need to re-book. Assuming I’ll be given the bloodclot jab.

tomparkin

I think this may vary by area.

I am 39, had my first jab yesterday, was contacted by my GP to arrange a date/time (weirdly also got an SMS from NHS today after the event), and had a choice when booking between Pfizer and AZ.

I chose Pfizer since I’d heard the AZ blood clot risk went up a bit v.s. the COVID risk for the under 40s, as above.

I would have had AZ just as happily, but since I had to choose I went with Pfizer.

nickc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-57103167

Blackburn going outside of advice to offer vaccine to 18yr olds

konagirl
    Free Member

The ‘choice’ thing, yes you get whatever vaccine has been distributed to the site you are booked in to on the day. If they have taken a booking for a <40 year old, it won’t be AZ on that site on that day but it could be either of the others, you just get what you are given.

Bristol I believe only has Ashton Gate and a few other centres (Bedminster, Longwell Green?) because for England the GPs were ramped up for Groups 1-9. Once they have had their second doses, everything should move to the mass vaccination centres. So if you use the NHS website to book (where you book both appointments together) the GP led sites aren’t available to you. If you ignore it, the GP might contact you to ‘mop up’ patients who haven’t taken up the offer in some time, and at that point you might go to the GP or a pharmacy site. It does seem Ashton Gate is very busy (we couldn’t book for 40-41 year olds) but also they are now managing different vaccinations in the same centre, with AM/PM or different days for different groups.

For those older than 40, if you get given AZ do make sure you have paracetamol in the house and take it as soon as you get shivery, it does work.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Thought there were 19 places in Bristol doing them – is this because they aren’t offering us the AstraZenica maybe? Or just everywhere else fully booked already?

Though the NHS site its major centers only it seems. If you get called by your surgery it could be much more local. My Mrs was called up a month before me (both 40) but her local surgery was ahead of the game where as I was unregistered so reliant on national level.

jam-bo

when I had mine (44) a few weeks back, I booked originally through the NHS site but my GP phoned me before the NHS appt and offered me one at the surgery 5 mins from my house rather than a 2 hour round trip to plymouth. so i cancelled the NHS one.

wife(39) has just booked hers for saturday in plymouth via NHS.

konagirl
    Free Member

Also, with the VoC (first detected in India), there are a few locations where any adult will be vaccinated, either as walk up or booked; Blackburn with Darwen have just announced it. There is hope Bolton will be allowed to offer the same. In London Brentford https://www.hounslow.gov.uk/homepage/223/vaccination_centres_in_hounslow “Over-18s: Additionally, Brentford Fountain Leisure Centre is also currently operating a pilot programme which may enable residents aged 18+ to receive a vaccine at the end of the day (after 5.30pm Mon-Thurs) pending vaccine availability.”

stumpyjon

Blackburn with Darwen have now retracted and said over 18s with other conditions as per England guidelines. Incidentally I booked mine via the website as soon as I could (I was 49) got an appointment 3 weeks later, got message from my docs a few days later, could probably have been earlier if I’d waited ironically. I had AZ, I is not dead and I is more than happy. All the vaccines carry some clotting risk, it’s all very low risk, you’ve lot more chance dieing in a car accident on the way (made up risk but you get the point, dont worry about the clot risk if youre overweight, smoke, drink excessively or have a poor diet, you’ve got bigger risk factors you can actually do something about, I know I have, losing 9 Kg since Christmas realising I was personally increasing my covid risk).

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘38 – 39 year age groups receive vaccine invitation today’ is closed to new replies.