Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 35-38mm CX mud tyre?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So Ive picked up a set of 40mm Vittoria Terrano wet tyres from Evans (£26 each, bargain). But the rear is probably gping to be tighter than is probably sensible in my CAADX.

Anyone spotted any bargain non-uci CX tyres that are tubeless and good for singletrack riding? Not much choice inbetween <35mm race tyres and 42mm+ gavel tyres.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You might be lucky as the Vittoria are actually 37c

kilo

I’ve always used 35 mm vittoria cx tyres for single track, gravel, not actually racing cx, and they’ve been pretty good

scaredypants

clement/donnely BOS are good rear mud tyres IMO but not seen bigger than 33s. BIG paddle on the middle so good drive, not so sure about cornering but, hey, it’s on the back (I have a schwalbe x-one bite on front – again, never seen over 33 but the widths are generally for skinny rims so may be a bit bigger anyway if you’re using something wider)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Might mount them and see then, the schwalbe cx comps that have been on there for the summer are labled as 38 but the stamp on the rubber is 622-40.

Rims are Crests though so everything comes up big!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just a bit of followup.

The Vittoria Terrano Wets are infact labled as 700x38c, but also 622×40, basicly the same missmatch in labelling as the Schwalbe CX Comp’s that were coming off. Maybe its a difference between nominal width and the height (38 nominal diameter, but wider than they are tall?).

Anyway, once mounted on Stans Crest (older, non-mk3) rims the Schwalbe measure 38.5mm and the Vittoria 41mm (at 40psi, will measure again at riding pressure after leaving them overnight). Hard to describe the shape, it looks rounder than the schwwlbe but at the same time fills the fork a lot more so i think its taller too.

The gist being that they leave only minimal clearance in the back of my CAADX. I’d be happy on the road but not in mud. So the search continues for a budget 35-38mm wet tyre before the trails round here get too sloppy for the CX Comp.

Ohh and the Vittoria are seriously tight. One of the few tyres ive had to resort to tyre levers to get it over the rim, then once on had to inflate above the max pressure for the stans rim to get the bead to pop. I didnt even bother fitting it to the rear rim, just held the front wheel in place as I suspect getting them off may well involve metal tyre levers or a stanley knife!

isoo
    Free Member

I got my first tubeless blisters on a Terreno Dry. Good memories. The 33’s were also oversized, by the way.

swanny853

Vittoria are seriously tight

I think they’re a similar spec to WTBs. Fine on looser rims, a no no on Stans.

Interested to hear the sizing though- saw some of these on a demo bike in the LBS and didn’t think they looked that big, but maybe I’ve got used a Nano which is oversized at 44mm

robgclarkson
    Free Member

anyone tried Panarace GravelKing Mud 35mm?

Panaracer GravelKing Mud 35mm tyre

i’m tempted, and yes, one of those reasons is tan wall, obvs!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Went with 35c Smart Sam in the end. Cheap and cheerful for a rear tyre, but still dual compound. Hopefully it still has enough grip.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Went with 35c Smart Sam in the end. Cheap and cheerful for a rear tyre, but still dual compound.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘35-38mm CX mud tyre?’ is closed to new replies.