Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 30mm BB recommendations. BSA/68mm Gravel build
  • beagle
    Free Member

Gravel Build, will get left and mucky at times. Head says Hope (I have tool, and know they last). Wallet says 90+ on Hope is too much.

Praxis (plus tool) looks likely. Easton, RF, Nukeproof all seem to have poor reviews on longevity.

Any others in the mix from the collective? Easton EA90 cranks, 129 spindle from memory of that makes a difference! TIA 🙏

honourablegeorge

Aren’t praxis a weird propietary 30mm?

Rotor do one which is quite affordable and but I didn’t have great life out of my one

Nukeproof do one which isn’t suitable for outdoor use, avoid

Easton and Rf are same company, wouldn’t touch a BB from either

Cane Creek do the hellbender, now minus the solid bearings, but no cheaper than Hope

That’s generally been my thought process before biting the bullet and buying Hope ones

beagle
    Free Member

Cheers HG. Friend has rotor one which didn’t last. Thanks for feedback on others. Not sure on the praxxis one. Will do some more research. Could turn into a stealth ad for Hope BB 🤣

Onzadog
    Free Member

Every BSA30 BB I’ve come across seems to need its own unique tool. You already have the hope tool so any other BB plus tool is going to be less of a saving.

dickie
    Free Member

I have Hope on 3 bikes & when I ride I am continually impressed by the frictionless feel, & always think it was money well spent despite the cost.

beagle
    Free Member

Unanimous then?!!

Thanks All.

rickmeister

I was going to say Rotor, but again, based on the above mine sounds very dry/noisy. It too gets ridden and left.

Its running with Hope cranks.

honourablegeorge

Seems I was half right about Praxis – there’s an “M30” and an “M30 THRU”

M30 – https://www.bike-components.de/en/Praxis-Works/M30-BSA-Bottom-Bracket-p76823/
    M 30 Thru – https://www.bike-components.de/en/Praxis-Works/M30-THRU-BSA-Bottom-Bracket-2021-Model-p82499/

The M30 has Axle Diameter listed as “30 mm (Praxis Works M30)”, and the THRU is for “Axle Diameter: 30 mm”, and is compatible with cranks from other manufacturers.

Not tried a Praxis, so can’t comment on their lifespan, but they seem cheap – they do need the expense of a specific tool as Onzadog points out though, which closes the price gap to Hope.

beagle
    Free Member

That’s really useful HG. Just looking at UK sellers with stock. It appears they aren’t as efficient as our German friends, when it comes to a thorough, clear product description!

dickie
    Free Member

I switched to Hope after running Praxis. Changed Praxis bearings every six months. Not touched the Hope in over 2 years.

honourablegeorge

beagle

That’s really useful HG. Just looking at UK sellers with stock. It appears they aren’t as efficient as our German friends, when it comes to a thorough, clear product description!

I think that’s a recent udpate, I was shopping for a cheap BB when I bought the Rotor, and had ruled out Praxis because I couldn’t see a straight 30mm option.

Wheels Manufacturing do some also – probably Hope prices once you pay tax & shipping
    https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/threaded-bb.html

sheck

I have a surplus C Bear one (and tool) which I bought as it was sleeved, but couldn’t get it to fit as i couldn’t route the Di2 wires around it… it’s been threaded into and out of the frame a few times as I tried to contort my thumbs into various positions to squeeze wires in too but ultimately gave up. DM if interested

Yak

For BSA I would stick to 24mm and Shimano. No point adding in more maintenance than necessary if you have the choice.

Unless you have bought the cranks already, then crack on.

lillski74
    Free Member

Hope – it’s worth the investment

dovebiker

Wheels Manufacturing – has bigger bearings than some of the others and has extra outboard seals, not just bits of hard plastic. RaceFace if you like changing BBs after each wet ride!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Wheels manufacturing do an angular contact bearing version which promises excellent longevity.

I’ve got it on my fearless with a hope crankset.

beagle
    Free Member

Thanks All. Either Wheels Manufacturing or Hope then. I have the hope tool.

Cheers again for the replies. Much appreciated.

Chris – it’s going on a Warlock. If yours is the one I think it is – sweet build!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘30mm BB recommendations. BSA/68mm Gravel build’ is closed to new replies.