• This topic has 56 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • £30 for 480ml of sea water!?!
  • nathb
    Free Member

Chatting to someone who’s always full of energy, saw them put a few drops of this stuff in their water. After asking them what it was, I ordered a bottle to replace the electrolyte tabs I’ve been meaning to pick up.

Only now have I just looked at the ingredients!

Concentrated Inland Sea Water (containing natural trace minerals),* Purified Water, Potassium Chloride.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elete-Team-Bottle-480ml/dp/B0036PP5FQ/
    I’m a mug…

Unless someone else uses them?!

Cougar

If someone else uses them, you’re still a mug.

You could get the same results with a glass of tap water and a pinch of salt.

nathb
    Free Member

Not unless they’ve got life changing results from it 😆

If not then yeah, I’m still a mug..

Cougar

I’ve now followed the link.

Thirty quid for a bottle of sea water, to add near-homeopathic amounts into drinking water? **** me, I’m in the wrong business.

Cougar

Not unless they’ve got life changing results from it

Anecdotes are not evidence.

Also, in case I was ambiguous in my first reply:

IT’S SALT!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The low salt salt is about 60% potassium and costs a couple of quid from most supermarkets.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

IT’S SALT!

Salt’s Sodium IIRC

njee20
    Free Member

Bloody good stuff that. It is expensive, but you add 2.5ml to a bottle, so that’ll last a good while. Hideously overpriced, but definitely reduced my cramping in races. #SnakeOilVictory

nathb
    Free Member

Cougar
    Anecdotes are not evidence.

Also, in case I was ambiguous in my first reply:

IT’S SALT!

Yep, I’m clutching at straws 😆

TheBrick
    Free Member

Potassium salt and magnesium salts are both good for different things I think

dissonance

Damn. Have to admire them.
    So basically a salt tablet but since its done the long winded way charge even more. Even with Maldon sea salt would be able to make a profit.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think zinc chloride too

Cougar

Salt’s Sodium IIRC

Sodium chloride. If you’re putting sodium in your water then you’re going to have an eventful time.

Bloody good stuff that. It is expensive, but you add 2.5ml to a bottle, so that’ll last a good while. Hideously overpriced, but definitely reduced my cramping in races. #SnakeOilVictory

At the risk of repeating myself,

Cougar – Moderator
    IT’S SALT!

That’s what salt does.

Junkyard
    Free Member

definitely reduced my cramping in races.

as would mny other things that are cheaper

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So it’s not salt then. Just to confirm before the OP starts pouring salt in his bidons.

Get the low salt stuff I suggested (which is more than 50% potassium)

nathb
    Free Member

Crosshair just tried to sell me magic beans.

I’m not that stupid, unless someone here has had life changing results from them? 😉

I think I’m good for salt for the next year or so, but will check out this cheaper low salt salt stuff for next time…

wallop

I don’t care – I absolutely love this stuff. I’ve got a tiny pocket bottle which I take on rides with me. First twinge of cramp and I pop a couple of drops on my tongue and I’m fresh as a daisy again. A little bottle lasts me aaaaages.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Do some reading. The RDA for potassium is pretty high IIRC and most people probably don’t reach it, let alone those that sweat it out during exercise.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cripes!

Come surfing with me, you can drink all the sea water your body will hold without drowning..

Works for me, costs me nothing, fit as a fit thing (currently drunk, but hey) and if you like I’ll charge you £30 for the privilege..

Mug.

vinnyeh

The elete range of 100% natural, ionically charged electrolyte products are derived from the solar evaporation of the mineral-rich water of the Great Salt Lake in Utah with nothing else added.

From the website.

Damn. Have to admire them.

Indeed.
    This is a nice example of a pretty profitable low overhead business.

jonnyboi

I bought a kilo of naturally harvested Atlantic sea salt whilst on holiday. Fantastic crystal structure and unique mineral content

Yours for £200, should last years if diluted appropriately

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think you sweat just normal salt. Electrolyte tabs are potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium salts.

bigjim

vinnyeh

I don’t think you sweat just normal salt. Electrolyte tabs are potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium salts.

Whilst electrolytes have been used for many years by athletes and sports professionals, existing products and brands will typically contain only one or two electrolytes, usually in a non-ionically charged form which are not easily assimilated by the body. For optimum benefits and hydration, all four major electrolytes (in particular magnesium) are required in an ionically charged form; in fact electrolytes are only true electrolytes when they are ionically charged as they do not function properly otherwise.

Sweating and physical stress deplete magnesium which works with other electrolytes to prevent muscle cramps and helps the body to properly utilize oxygen, so magnesium replacement is essential for sports people. elete contains a perfectly balanced ionically charged combination of magnesium and the three other major mineral electrolytes (potassium, sodium and chloride), as well as over 60 other naturally occurring trace and ultra trace elements.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

bigrich

pork scratchings

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

usually in a non-ionically charged form which are not easily assimilated by the body. For optimum benefits and hydration, all four major electrolytes (in particular magnesium) are required in an ionically charged form; in fact electrolytes are only true electrolytes when they are ionically charged as they do not function properly otherwise.

I did a degree in chemistry, and unless you’re explaining this really badly, you’re wrong.

You stick sodium chloride in water you get Na+(aq) and Cl-(aq), you mix it with potassium bromide you get K+(aq) Br-(aq), the cool trick is if you separate it out (not that easy, it’s probably eutectic) you get Sodium Bromide and Potassium Chloride.

km79
    Free Member

I can’t believe people are buying this nevermind admitting to it. **** me, I think this will take some beating.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I was under the impression that the theory that it’s down to a lack of salts, electrolytes etc had been thoroughly debunked as the cause of cramps?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Isn’t salt in sperm, maybe that’s a new source for eliciting trace elements…

mattyfez

Oh Ffs.

That is all I can say.

mattyfez

Ffs is not nutritional, by the way, it’s a polite way of expressing distain.

CountZero

I don’t care – I absolutely love this stuff. I’ve got a tiny pocket bottle which I take on rides with me. First twinge of cramp and I pop a couple of drops on my tongue and I’m fresh as a daisy again. A little bottle lasts me aaaaages.

Yeah, and a little bottle of natural sea salt, sourced by natural evaporation, will do the same, last the same, and cost a lot less.
    £6.90, in fact: https://jerseyseasalt.com/products/jersey-sea-salt-natural

Poopscoop

4.8 out of 5 on the Amazon reviews too.

Makes me despair on 2 levels.

The lack of morality to be able to come up with it and sell it.

Secondly that people actually buy it.

Probably a few rich guys on yachts laughing their heads off at the life they have made selling salt as a premium product.

darrell
    Free Member

Isn’t salt in sperm, maybe that’s a new source for eliciting trace elements…

a long time ago in a galaxy far away – an ex-girlfriend once told me i needed more salt in my diet

trail_rat
    Free Member

First twinge of cramp and I pop a couple of drops on my tongue and I’m fresh as a daisy again. A little bottle lasts me aaaaages.

Ah yes the obecalp effect

onehundredthidiot

I love these threads they bumble along until someone tries a bit of science to justify their argument then I begin to despair at how technically illiterate we really are. (and I’m at the front of the queue).

beagle
    Free Member

Fart in a jar anyone?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘£30 for 480ml of sea water!?!’ is closed to new replies.