Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • 3 peaks yacht race
  • marcus
    Free Member

Anyone done it as a competitor or support ?

larryduff

Yes, I took part as a competitor in 2014 and 2015.

ratherbeintobago

How do you get a yacht up Snowdon?

imnotverygood

How do you get a yacht up Snowdon?

Nobody said the race was easy

marcus
    Free Member

Larry – As part of the sailing crew and / or runner ? Given you did it twice, I assume you consider it a good event ?

globalti
    Free Member

You have to RUN?

*stows oilskins and ice axe back in locker*

MrSparkle

A guy called Ken Taylor from Rossendale Harriers was part of wining pairs 4 times in 80’s – 90’s. He did the Bob Graham in 2018. He was 71.

larryduff

As part of the sailing crew and / or runner ? Given you did it twice, I assume you consider it a good event ?

As runner, yes it’s a great race. If you’re thinking of taking part, I’m happy to give you some pointers.

Vader
    Free Member

I did it as crew (and back up runner), it’s a great event. The sailing was why I was there tbh, it was awesome. It’s pretty tiring as crew, I helmed the night watch and cooked.

Sailing into the darkness through the Sound of Luing and Sound of Jura is something you won’t forget

marcus
    Free Member

Hi Vader – So you can sail and run ? Do you have much sailing experience or completed other multi day running / adventure events ?

larryduff

So you can sail and run ?

As far as i know (unless things have changed in the last couple of years) there are no rules about who does what within a team. Each team of 5 simply has to get at least 2 of its members around the land stages – it doesn’t have to be the same 2 team members… in fact there is a prize, the Tilman Cup, for the fastest team who manage to get at least 4 of its members to have completed 1 or more of the runs.

marcus
    Free Member

Larry – I want to do it as a pair in 2021.

larryduff

I want to do it as a pair in 2021

So just the 2 of you to sail and run the whole course? I don’t think there’s anything to stop you doing it like that, tough challenge though!

If you are unfamiliar with the race’s sailing route I can recommend Keith Mander’s “Skippers Advice” publication – Some race winners have claimed to have “The tiller in one hand and this book in the other”!

The mountain routes are easy enough to navigate and follow – you do need to be fairly fit though to complete them.

timberriman

It’s only been done by a double handed crew once. Pip Hare (all round solo sailing superstar) did it last time with another person. They were leading for a while but Pip broke her ankle Ben Nevis and still ran on, finishing fifth overall.

She is currently trying to do the Vendée globe, I’m sure she would offer advice in exchange for some help with the campaign.

Link

Pip’s Website

larryduff

That’s good going! – it looks like their run times may have cost them some places.

In my experience it’s important that your running paces are closely matched, it can be equally frustrating to be the one who has to keep waiting for the other, or the one who can’t keep up. It’s worth considering bringing a tow rope, I know some running pairs have found them useful if one tires while the other is itching to get back to the boat.

Bike wise, (you ride from Whitehaven to the Black Sail hostel to access Scafell Pike on foot via Wasdale and Lingmell Gill) we built up a couple of drop bar monster-cross style creations for the occasion, with triple chainsets and bigish tyres – you need fairly high gears, a good aero position and nerves of steel (it’s a shared use path) for the ride back into Whitehaven, however the section near to black sail is definitely more suited to a mountain bike – it’s rocky so, in order to maintain a decent pace, fairly chunky tyres are a must. And there is a bit of a steep road climb on the way back just when your legs are telling they’ve really had enough now, so low gears are a blessing too.

Having someone support you is nice but I don’t think it’s essential unless you wouldn’t have room on board the boat for your bikes.

Vader
    Free Member

Hi Vader – So you can sail and run ? Do you have much sailing experience or completed other multi day running / adventure events

Yeah as far as I know you can run and sail – assuming no rule changes since I did it in 2012. I wouldn’t underestimate how hard it would be to do both though! I was there as a reserve runner in event of an injury for example.Yeah, i do have experience of these sorts of events and a sailing/nautical background, but other team members were far superior hill runners, but with no sailing knowledge. To be fair, if you are sailing crew then you are competing as much as the runners are, but in a different way.

There is so much going on it turns in to an event on your own boat, the race almost becomes secondary. Our year there was a tidal gate to clear the Mull of Kintyre, just prior we had a rigging failure as we came out of darkness and the whole thing turned into a whirlwind mini epic of action. Just off the Mull a competitor lost their rudder, HMS Dragon got involved in the rescue and there was some tense moments on the radio to say the least.

If you can get on a team it’s a fantastic experience.

larryduff

If you can get on a team it’s a fantastic experience.

good advice

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iokeoA]Scafell Pike Bike[/url] by Laurence Wilson, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2iokeqK]Scafell Pike Bike[/url] by Laurence Wilson, on Flickr

marcus
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys. – I was aware of the awesome Hare / Hill result and can’t imagine ever being able to get near their time / placing. I would consider a finish and win on the first attempt. Just need to learn to sail / navigate at sea, recruit a team mate who doesn’t mind running aground and find a boat. – Nothing which can’t be sorted in 18 months.

scruff9252

“Just need to learn to sail / navigate at sea, recruit a team mate who doesn’t mind running aground and find a boat. – Nothing which can’t be sorted in 18 months. ”

I wouldn’t underestimate the first and last part of your to-do list!

There is a similar yet shorter race, the Scottish Islands Peaks Race which runs each year. If you’re a good runner, Try posting on a few Scottish based sailing facebook groups so see if a boat has a spare space going.

That should give you a taster of the event type. Doing it as a pair would be pretty tough going & you’d want to hope for a windy race. The thought of running a marathon then straight after having to row a 35ft yacht down a windless Sound of Jura against a 1.5kt current isn’t to be sniffed at…

IHN

I’ll be your cabin boy.

marcus
    Free Member

Scruff – It was typed a bit tongue in cheek and I’ll just see how things start to progress to see if there is even a glimmer of achieving the timescale. Will look up the Scottish Islands event. Yeah, the event would be brutal as a pair, but that’s the bit which interests me.

larryduff

Just need to learn to sail / navigate at sea, recruit a team mate who doesn’t mind running aground and find a boat.

Good on you Marcus! I admire your spirit… although I can’t help thinking that you might be well advised to try and recruit a team mate who already has a boat and has already learnt to sail/navigate at sea!

Good luck though, and please keep us updated of your progress…

spawnofyorkshire

I’ll be your cabin boy.

Roger?

marcus
    Free Member

Larry – indeed, but they need to be able to run and suffer on no sleep as well.

IHN

Roger?

Only if you buy me dinner

larryduff

Anyone reading this thread might be forgiven for thinking that this race doesn’t sound very appealing!…

no sleep

running aground

a competitor lost their rudder

Pip broke her ankle

…need to be able to run and suffer

You have to RUN?

running a marathon then straight after having to row a 35ft yacht down a windless Sound of Jura against a 1.5kt current

And whilst I do admit to there being the odd low moment, it has excitement, risk, drama, camaraderie, sportsmanship and adventure in spades.

We blew out one spinnaker and had 26 knots of wind on our spare, making 14.5 knots boat speed as we passed Luing! We had gone to considerable logistical effort to provision ourselves with oars but luckily never had to use them.

Yes, a finish is definitely a win, however getting to the start line is a considerable achievement for many, myself included. The race has a real community feel to it and everyone involved on the organisational front are the nicest people you’ll meet. And there are so many trophies on offer it’s very hard not to pick up some kind of prize, even if it’s the Last Inn Cup!

Writing this out has sparked the notion that I might like to have another go myself in the future – probably not on your boat though Marcus 😉 no offence!

NewRetroTom

I’ve done the Scottish Islands Peaks Race twice, and as noted above I think it would be great experience for the 3 peaks race!

marcus
    Free Member

Larry – I’m not sure I’ll want to be on a boat I’m in charge of.

scruff9252

Larry, I’m sure it is good fun & I’ll probably put a crew together to do the SIPR one year (I keep meaning to but life gets in the way).

Not keen on doing it as a pair though!

larryduff

I’m not sure I’ll want to be on a boat I’m in charge of.

Ha Ha 😁

I’ll probably put a crew together to do the SIPR one year (I keep meaning to but life gets in the way)

That’s what I mean about it being an achievement getting to the start line – it takes a huge amount of physical, mental, practical and logistical preparation, all of which is time consuming and, as you say, life gets in the way.

We had planned to have a look at SIPR in 2016 having done the 3 peaks in 2015 but life got in the way unfortunately.

I did however go and recce all the running routes, and I think they are harder than the 3 peaks, and with the potential for relatively short sailing times in between, I think it is probably quite a tough race for the runners, especially adding in the Le Mans style start with a 7 or so mile run up around Oban to kick off with!

Anyone done both?

marcus
    Free Member

Had a look at the SIPR and it may be better suited for a someone with a running background ?? – Albeit I’ve never ran in those locations. Interesting that its not classed as an ISAF Category 3 Offshore Race, which may make sorting a boat easier as well.
    Competent crew course now booked for April, with the intention of sorting day skipper for late summer. I’m hoping that will give me enough for getting myself out during the winter and spring of 2021. Meanwhile done another couple of races in the Laser up at the sailing club.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘3 peaks yacht race’ is closed to new replies.