Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 3 days dusty bikepacking – Smoove or Squirt ?
  • iainc

a few of us heading for a bikepacking lite (staying in BnB’s) trip in Cairngorms later. Weather is set warm and dry. Squirt would be my lube of choice, but I have recently got some Smoove, but not used in earnest.  Chain is cleaned and degreased.  Reviews suggest a proper application of Smoove will easily see me through the trip without doing anything, whereas if Squirt I’ll take a small top up bottle with me.

Experiences of Smoove ?

13thfloormonk

I had no joy ‘topping up’ Squirt when bikepacking, think it really benefits from a night in a warm(ish) garage to set properly.

Couldn’t comment on Smoove but if it’s supposed to last longer in the first instance I’d be inclined to go that way.

martinhutch

Squirt won’t last you all that long. My experiences from the Lakes last weekend was it got noisy after 30 miles or so, and the reapplication lasted another 20 or so because it doesn’t get the chance to dry on properly.

My bet would be Smoove, but take small amount with you to apply when you get to the B&B after a wipe down of the chain – I put an old Otex eardropper in a sock, which has two applications-worth.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Take a wee bottle with you, it really takes up no room at all.

iainc

Cheers, I have used Squirt a lot in summer/dry conditions and appreciate that a couple of river crossings and it’s gone. I could use a longer lasting option, as have both RnR blue and W&S No 3 which get used regularly on FS and other HT.

Am curious about the Smoove, though a 3 day trip may not be best unless I know it’s decent !

Kryton57

In my experience Smoove is not noticeably better than Squirt on an MTB.  3 days in BeMC with the bike washed and lubed daily – the same shiny clean chain in the dry – prompting a reapplication in the evening, and hour of rain followed by a  cautious jetwash on th 3rd day and signs of oxidisation where there by the evening.

Its just costs more.

scotroutes

It’s 3 days, not 3 hours. What use would Squirt be?

iainc

Nobeer, yep, the packs aren’t light so won’t make much difference. Keen to know if the Smoove beats your lubricant of choice, RnR though !

iainc

Colin, I knew you’d say that 😀

scotroutes

Choose a lube that stays on the chain, not one that pollutes my local trails…

scotroutes

And it’s not bikepacking if you’re staying in B&Bs either.

💣

iainc

Well we have bags/packs strapped to our bikes !  And cigars and dressing gowns for the BnB’s 😜

lesshaste

Blag an empty contact lens cleaner solution bottle of someone. It’ll make a nice little lube bottle with integrated applicator. Fill with your preferred lube.

Tiger6791

I think you need to harness the power of Bikepacking! In truth any lube will do, GT85, WD40, Engine oil, Muc Off Lube etc.

Last year I forgot my little top up pot so and the chain was skipping a bit, so went to pub ordered a pint and some olives, drank pint, ate olives and then lubricated chain with chilli flavour olive oil.

Worked perfect for next 2 days, true story dat.

aP
    Free Member

Wickens & Soderstrom would be my suggestion, the No3 is working very well on my brompton, and my gnarpoon. It seems to last for ages before needed reapplication.

iainc

Thanks for all the input, decided against Smoove as haven’t really used it enough to know it’s longevity, so popped on some RnR Blue (W&S 3 needs replenishing…)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I vote for the wickens in a little dropper bottle.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘3 days dusty bikepacking – Smoove or Squirt ?’ is closed to new replies.