Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • 2×10 for normal people
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

This trail centre gearing is really taking off

thebunk

Hello ooOOoo – are you saying 2×10 is no good for non-trail centre riding, or that normal people only use trail centres?

Can't work out if you're trying to be helpful?

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, ooOOoo, which is great because I've found it works nicely on 'proper' trails too…

RealMan
    Free Member

Judging from the trail centres I've been to trail centre gearing is 1×9/10. Never get steep enough climbs for small gears really.

😀

ooOOoo
    Free Member

If I go for a loop from my house, I will use 22:32, and 44:11 at some point.
    I'd prefer to not hit any tarmac, but it's part of the ride, so I don't see why I should reduce my gear range.

_tom_
    Free Member

Judging from the trail centres I've been to trail centre gearing is 1×9/10. Never get steep enough climbs for small gears really.

Yep. I only use my granny because I'm lazy. I can get up the climbs in 1×9 if I really want to and have started doing this more as it feels better and the climbs go quicker.

RealMan
    Free Member

Why, did someone say you should..?

Although just for curiosities sake, if you did go for something like a 26/38 with an 11-34 or 11-36, you are losing less then one gear on both sides, so its not really reducing your gear range by anything you'd notice.

GW
    Free Member

er.. yes you would. it's losing pointless double gears you don't notice.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Just switched to 40 x 28 with 11-34. Definately don't really miss the extra ring. Small adjustment to front mech is all that is required along with the rings and some new chainring bolts. Get the full range of the cassette on the 40.

Regards

nickc

so its not really reducing your gear range by anything you'd notice.

Hmmmmm, 36:11 is what? Something like 85GI, 44:11 is about 104GI, doesn't sound much but over the ground it's something like 5ft with one pedal stroke.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I can see the potential in less duplicate ratios, but as nickc says that jump from 44t makes a big difference.
    With a SB8 on the rear I cruise on the road in 44:15 or 13 on the flat, so I want something extra for downhills. Hence my moderate troll idea of it being trail centre gearing.
    It does reduce your gear range, which seems like a step backwards to me.

clubber
    Free Member

I use my mtb for mtbing, not road. If I spin out on road dhs, I can live with that 😉

Dickyboy

Think I'll be going 2 x 8 this season, that way I can be both retro & bang upto date at the same time 🙄

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘2×10 for normal people’ is closed to new replies.