Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • How quickly do you get bored of your bikes?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bought a 456 the other week, and already thinking of stripping it back down and sending it off to be powder coated……………

Tell me I'm not the only one?

(its dark blue and paint is still pretty mint BTW)

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Lol. That's pretty quick.

18months for my PA. Nothing wrong with it *at all* but I just fancy a change.

I had a 456 that lasted longest of all the frames i've had (or maybe the Planet X alu hardtail frame i forget the name of). Quickest turnaround was probably a Pastey Howler. Very "neutral" ride and not even an exciting paintjob 🙂

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Never got sick of a bike that fitted me.

singlespeedstu

You get bored of the colour.

Try riding it instead of looking at it. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've still got that DMR switchback if your interested, £80 and I'll drop it off next weekend whilst I'm in town?

Rorschach
    Free Member

"Try riding it instead of looking at it. " x2 😉

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I'm waiting for ton to join in this thread 😀

mamadirt
    Free Member

You're not the only one 😉 . Not so much a boredom for me thing though – more the urge to build something new – I just love specing and building bikes but only like owning one at a time.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I've still got that DMR switchback if your interested,

heh. Cheers but once I sell the PA I'm hopefully getting an Alpitude.

Never got sick of a bike that fitted me.

Try riding it instead of looking at it.

With an attitude like those I'd still be bimbling along on an Al Carter 'Professional'… 😉

bigsi
    Free Member

I guess Ton's out shopping at the moment 😉 😆

Edric64
    Free Member

I rarely get rid of bikes I just add to the collection and am still riding mtbs that are over 20 years old and a timetrial bike from the early 90s .I cant see the point in changing and probably wont be any quicker on a new one at my age anyway.

Jamie
    Free Member

I never get bored with bikes. Just change them when my needs do.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Er, maybe i'm in a minority then?

My first 'proper' mtb was a '97 Kona Cindercone. lovely frame but muggins here bought one too big – 18" frame – so sold that one after 18 months (?) and got a 16" GT Zaskar Race. Had that for 2yrs then went to Spain & fell in love with full suss.
    Bought a Marin Mount Vision in 2004 & not bothered about a new bike till this year.

Now i've bought a road(ish) bike & a new Marin already this yr!

earl_brutus

to the age of 30, got through all sorts usually swapping every year, and had about 7 bikes at one point, since then, had the same 3 bikes, for about 5 years now and wont be swapping unless I break one!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I bought my Epic in 2003 and it's still my main bike, although almost everything on it has changed since then. I've also had my Soul for nearly as long, but a lot of other bikes have come and gone over the period as well.

ton

i do not get bored of them………i am searching for the ideal bike for a 6ft3'' 20.5 stone bear of a man(brant's description) 😆

to present no bike designer/builder as made one i feel is suitable.
    it is a very enjoyable, but expensive journey that i am on.
    not for the miserly i may hasten to add……….. 😉

BigGraham
    Free Member

Yep, up untill this year not owned a bike long enough to even need to change the brake pads! Having said that I seem to have calmed down a bit recently and have had the Alptitude for all of 6 months now and still not bored (having said that the spec is nowhere near the same tho 😉 ). Am building up a new addition today but this is definetly an extra attentionwhore steed rather than a replacement for any of the other bikes! (29er inbred fully rigid ss!)

Onzadog
    Free Member

I think I stave off the boredom because they're in a constant state of flux although that has slowed down recently as everything on the bike works perfectly. Because of that, I've started sniffing at the IBIS Mojo HD.

samuri
    Free Member

I generally snap them before I get bored of them

nbt

I "upgraded" a couple of times in the early years. Since then the urge hasn;t really take me to change for the sake of change: I replaced a Soul with an inbred in a reversal of the move that saw the soul arrive. In replaced that with a Blue Pig only becasue the inbred died 🙁

My longest serving bike is the SS chameleon which I've now had for 6 years. The only original parts (from when I bought it anyway) are the frame, stem and bars. It's still the same bike though 🙂

juiced
    Free Member

i am happy with all of mine. Didn't stop me getting a bmx recently though.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I know what I like, and my tastes rarely change. I spec the bike that suits me, that I enjoy to ride, and I never tire of it.

When I buy a bike I make sure it's right for me, and I'm in it for the long haul. Riding for about 16 years, had 5 bikes in that time. My bike only gets replaced when it is worn beyond use – they are never in a fit state to sell.

Drac

Not really got bored of one but the one I've loved the most is my heckler it's freaking great. The chameleon had a short life but only because I had a chance on the heckler foe a bargain and all the bits swapped over. Plan was to restore it but abolished that and bought the jake the snake.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Ton I think I have the perfect bike for you.

messiah
    Free Member

I've never got bored of a bikes colour. You can never see much of the paint under the mud, and on my 15 year old Kona there is not much paint left… but plenty of memorable scars…. the patina of age and use, my old friend.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Bought a 456 the other week, and already thinking of stripping it back down and sending it off to be powder coated……………<

Honest take on this comment? 'Kit freak'

To me mountain biking is about the places you go, the experiences you have and the people you meet. It's an added privelage to be able to do all this amongst stunning scenery / mountains. Planning and executing my next big route is what occupies my thoughts – not the bloody colour of the bike. Great to have a nice bike etc etc but changing the frame colour is completely unimportant.

ken_shields
    Free Member

All the serial bike changers on here must be out shopping for parts 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

It's not so much I get bored, I just really enjoy tweaking bikes for some reason. Only time I hate maintenance is when it's either for someone elses bike, or when it doesn't go at all to plan and "if it aint broke don't fix it" applies!

noteeth
    Free Member

I'm still riding a bike with a 1 inch threaded headset & a 120 mm quill stem. 8)

mickasaki
    Free Member

Is that nicolai a hardtail then? Or a new style of torsion bar suspension? 😉

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I seem to be going around in circles lately… this time last year I had a ti HT and a ss inbred, I then sold the inbred, changed the ti to ss and bought an orange 5… I then sold the ti frame (couldn't justify it as a 'second bike) and bought another inbred… I then sold the Five… I now just have the ss inbred but am building a race ht – the ti frame would've been perfect but can't afford another one, so it'll be alu this time around… hmmm, if I could only see a year into the future! 😕

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Oh and Mamadirt would make me feel better (I think she holds the record for number of bikes owned!), if it weren't for the fact that she's very sensible in only having one bike at a time!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Aye bikes are great MM 😀 but I can only love one at a time 😛

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i dont get bored ever, but sometimes when im out ill be miles away from home and think ffs why did i come here.. thats as close as it gets for me lol

bigyinn
    Free Member

Some people have more moeny than sense on here.
    I've had perhaps 7 bikes in 20 odd years of riding. I still have all bar the first 2 as frames (the first 2 were stolen, the next 3 died!). I consider ymself very lucky to have 2 bikes that i enjoy riding equally and thats plenty!
    Clearly to some of you its more about the bike than the ride!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I've only really got bored once, which was my Inbred last year, I was tired of trying to get it so that I enjoyed riding it really. I've bought new bikes to fill "gaps in my fleet" which only exist in my mind, then get rid of things that are filling a gap that I've decided doesn't actually exist when I was previously certain it did. Not too fast a turnover and I'm trying hard to reduce it. 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

i wis i had the money to be able to get bored fo bikes. although it is nice catcing people on Santa Cruz Superlights and Scott Sparks when im on my £500 hardtail 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘How quickly do you get bored of your bikes?’ is closed to new replies.