• This topic has 41 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by LsD.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • 29ers are dead.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

650b is the new 29″

In this case Nino wanted it.”

Schurter Wins World Cup XC on 650B, Scott Sports Confirms Frame Prototypes

GaryLake
    Free Member

Last week called, they want their old news back…

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Ahh, there must be a down turn in trading for the bike industry. Scott must be getting the next market boosting product tested

rickmeister

Interesting looking course….

nealglover
    Free Member

Last week called, they want their old news back…

Every single American script writer since 1980 just called, they all want that “witty” put down back 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bet he wishes he had a dropper post

singlecrack
    Free Member

I think they are really trying to kill off the 26er ………….!!!

takisawa2

Did they buy that course off “Kickstart” in an old TV set clearance sale…

MSP

fish-eye lense is really exaggerating the course, although its undoubtedly still a damm sight harder than I could ride on a hardtail.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I’m already heading down the 650b route 8)

Not 29er clown wheels 😡

druidh
    Free Member

Whitewall tyres?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Some really interesting discussion & comments here:

http://www.privateer.cc/2012/03/enough-already-how-many-wheel-sizes-is.html

tollah
    Free Member

Been riding 650b for 3 years, going to have to sell them now they’re hitting trendy 🙁

martinxyz
    Free Member

I have a pair of 650 ss wheels listed for sale at the moment. Search back to last week :O)

inkster
    Free Member

With al the development that’s gone into designing mountain bike frames / suspension / bits etc. I find it amazing that it’s all been done around two pre-existing wheel sizes, neither ideal for the job in hand. Whilst I know that 650B has been around as a niche size since pre mtb times, it does seem to be the perfect solution. I know what wheel size my next bike will be.

ska-49
    Free Member

Horses for courses. Every wheel size has its own application. I own 29ers and 26ers.

That XC course is P’burg was a great watch. They carried some good speed through the rock gardens and drops!

clubber
    Free Member

Whilst I know that
    650B has been around as a niche size since pre
    mtb times, it does seem to be the perfect
    solution.

There is no perfect solution. Just a best compromise. Depending on the rider and what they’re riding that may be 26″, 650b, 29er or even something else.

tang
    Free Member

If its still available on redbull tv the xc final was a masterclass in riding skills, esp in getting the most out of a 29r, those guys really show how to use speed to your advantage.

inkster
    Free Member

Perfect solution / best compromise? Splitting semantic hairs really.

clubber
    Free Member

nor really. perfect solution is universal. perfect compromise is specific.

brakes
    Free Member

Nino Schurter has 3 similar bikes each with a different wheel size (26, 29, 650B).
    he picked the 650B because of the course, not because it was absolutely better than the others.

Did full suspension kill off hardtails? No.
    Will new wheels sizes kill off other wheel sizes? No.
    Even if people are gullible and believe the hype.

inkster
    Free Member

Why not introduce a couple more wheel sizes that fit in-between the 3 current standards, so there’s an absolutely ‘perfect solution’ to every course?

I’m just your average rider, not a racer / trail god, I appreciate this thread is about high end racing, but as the privateer article pointed out, too many options can price out or put off your average rider.

If we could design an mtb from scratch and choose a standard wheel size not limited to current availability, one that was the ‘ideal compromise’, I wonder what that wheel size would be?

Drac

Whilst I know that 650B has been around as a niche size since pre mtb times, it does seem to be the perfect solution.

I’m sorry but that made me smile, do you work in advertising?

inkster
    Free Member

Drac ?

Drac

650b ‘The Perfect Solution’ pour homme. 😀

the_lecht_rocks

29″ for full sized adults only…

composite
    Free Member

What should I be searching for on youtube for footage of that track in the photo?

Drac

‘World Cup XC at Pietermaritzburg’ should do it.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I ran a Haro Beasley 650 b ss for 3 years, nice bike. Can’t see what all the fuss is about. Just more choice for us all really.

tang
    Free Member
    kimbers

well all 3 sizes seem well represented at sea otter

650 seems to make more sense to me, but then if offered a range of things i usually pick the one in the middle

bigad40
    Free Member

I rode that track on a borrowed Kona Hoss with cable disc brakes and fork with no rebound, oh and 26″ wheels with little tread, basically something youd almost be happy to leave unlocked outside a soccer and sport shop.
    Surf baggies and skate shoes with a skate lid.
    Trend setter or what…
    Think it might catch on.

chainslapp
    Free Member

Think it might catch on.

It will catch on as well as 29ers have 😆

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It’s all just marketing men’s hype to get you lot to part with our cash. Don’t fall for it, anyway, I just bought a 29er. :D.

Honestly though, I can foresee that, no only will we be buying bike frames to suit our height and stature, we will also now be sizing wheels accord to our height.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Whoever dreamt this crap up needs to have a final solution.

khani
    Free Member

Final solution you say…

monogramman
    Free Member

Should be called the penrose course by looking at that picture. Are some off them still there going round & round & roun….

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering if I can fit 650b wheels to my carbon 456. Loads of clearance at the back but I guess just need a new fork. What forks are out there?

miketually
    Free Member

20″
    24″
    26″
    27.5″ (650b)
    29″
    36″

All wheels. All good. Some better suited than others for some applications.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering if I can fit 650b wheels to my carbon 456. Loads of clearance at the back but I guess just need a new fork. What forks are out there?

There was a thread recently of someone who put 650b wheels in their 26″ frame. Ed O ran 650b wheels on his Ragley Ti at one point too. I’d suess that any frame that will take a 26″ wheel with a reasonable beefy (2.4″?) tyre would take a 650b with a slimmer tyre?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘29ers are dead.’ is closed to new replies.