Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • 29er/hybrid/cx
  • wors

Are they not essentially the same? Asking as on the kielder 100 website it says no cx bikes only mtbs.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Does that mean only the back of my bike is allowed?

miketually
    Free Member

No, they’re different.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my motocross bike bike has the same size wheel. is that the same?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Going to be tough to police. Proper out and out racing Cross bikes are obvious but the boundary between where 29ers end and CX bikes start is getting so blurred now.

At what point does a Singular with drops and skinny tyres become a cross bike and at what point does a >X< with flat bar and 45c tyres become a 29er?

epicyclo

If it a proper mtb course and a cx bike can win it, then that cx bike is a mountain bike IMO.

Getting to be too many rules.

qwerty
    Free Member

its pants when they split hairs like this, after all – its all bicycles off road

guy i know got disqualified from a Thetford race for riding a fixed CX bike, sucks

in XC unless its a proper high quality UCI pro race why stop people riding their bike of choice

mebbe their XC course is ghey

epicyclo

Surely the mtb crowd aren’t that scared of being trounced by a hardcore roadie cum fell runner on a cx bike?

firestarter
    Free Member

I wasn’t allowed to ride 3 peaks on my singular dropbar despite having narrow enough bars and tyres to meet the rules. The organisers said it was still an mtb he did offer to buy me a pint tho lol

epicyclo

Sounds like the dead hand of BiB (Blokes in Blazers) that takes all the fun out of sport.

aP
    Free Member

Well, on the 3 Peaks entry form it did actually say that 29ers weren’t allowed….. and it is a Category A cyclo cross race
    For other riding I don’t see why cx bikes should be “banned”.

ampthill

But the bike ridden by Nick Craig really looked like an MTB with thin tyres….

Does it matter. Its a spectrum. Choose your favourite from the mix.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ap tho at what point do they change my singular had narrow dropbars and tyres and discs and so does a genesis day one , but one says cx one doesn’t

aP
    Free Member

The differences between 29er and cyclocross bikes have been fairly well debated and defined. Anyway, the 3 Peaks regs state:
    14. The race is for CYCLO-CROSS BIKES ONLY. The use of mountain
    bikes and road bikes is prohibited. There will be an examination of bikes before the start and spot checks made throughout the race. A cyclo-cross bike is a road bike with cyclo-cross tubulars/tyres and low gears. Disc brakes are allowed. Bicycles must comply with the following regulations:
    * The structure of the bike connecting the saddle, pedals and forks shall be triangular
    * The component parts must be tubes or profiles, the form of which is
    free from restriction. The minimum width shall be 25mm. The maximum width shall be 80mm for the frame and 50mm for the rear stays, forks
    and seat pillar.
    * Wheels of the bike may vary in diameter between 70cm maximum and 55cm minimum, including the tyre. The width of the tyre cannot be more
    than 35mm.
    * Straight handlebars are permitted, providing the maximum width does
    not exceed 50cm. The use of bar extensions is prohibited. Commissaire’s
    decision will be final. The use of 27″ or 700cm wheels in mountain bike
    frames will not be allowed.

wors

clear as mud that aP

The structure of the bike connecting the saddle, pedals and forks shall be triangular
    * The component parts must be tubes or profiles, the form of which is
    free from restriction. The minimum width shall be 25mm. The maximum width shall be 80mm for the frame and 50mm for the rear stays, forks
    and seat pillar.

pretty much describes any frame out there regardless of intended use.

firestarter
    Free Member

Well ap my singular met all of those conditions how it was set up

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

The 3Px have changed the rules for next year, no straight bars permitted, drops only. Presumably to deal with the 29er issue. I’m inclined to agree with the organisers. It’s an old and anachronistic race and that’s part of its fabulous character, it’s a one off, allowing MTBs would completely change it.

Having said that I don’t know why anyone would want to stop the use of a cross bike in an MTB event so I’m obviously confused.

ampthill

Its worth pointing out that the 3 peaks race is unique in that a land owner was once punched by an MTBer. He thefore only consents to a cyclocross race

I wonder if no cyclo crosss bikes is some how an insurance issue. Some one being worried about the course needing to suitable to CX bikes if they were allowed. I’m not saying that makes sense I’m just speculating

aP
    Free Member

Many of those rules are UCI and hence are a little bit Swenglish.
    However, the 3 Peaks organisers have been very clear that its “a cyclo cross race, for cyclo cross bikes” and turning up with a 29er, which patently isn’t a cx bike is, how shall I put it? Cheeky?
    Oh, and which bit of the first sentence did your bike agree with?
    The race is for CYCLO-CROSS BIKES ONLY

firestarter
    Free Member

I honestly think a drop bar 29er with all tyre bar restrictions met is basically a heavy cx but I agree with the organisers tbh its a special race and should be kept so 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

so, how would I class my kenesis tripster in all this if I needed to? It’s runny sub 32mm tyres and it has 460 drops and disc brakes.

I’d be willing to take the rack and guards off.

traildog
    Free Member

I am not going into the 3 peaks debate. I can see the point of view of the organisers. Trying to apply logic to it is going to fail.

But this is talk about the Kielder100 and I think banning cyclocross bikes from events like this is wrong. Mountain biking has always been about using the right sort of technology for the event and if that is a cross bike, then fair enough. The organisers of events should make the races so that it’s quicker on a mountain bike than a cross bike.

wors

so, how would I class my kenesis tripster in all this if I needed to? It’s runny sub 32mm tyres and it has 460 drops and disc brakes.

Like this ?

Sam

IMO, mtb races which prohibit CX bikes (notably Mayhem, perhaps now also Kielder) can only really do so on a standard definition of a CX bike, i.e. one which could legally be used in a UCI ‘cross race. That means, bars narrower than 50cm, tyres narrower than 33mm. Anything else and it’s not a “‘cross bike”. If they want to prohibit anything broader than this then they need to be pretty prescriptive about what they define as a ‘cross bike.

The organisers of events should make the races so that it’s quicker on a mountain bike than a cross bike.

My thoughts exactly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wors, very much like that but all black and hydraulic discs.

Shandy
    Free Member

There are some sections of Kielder that would be pretty miserable on a CX bike.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Like this ?

just been sick in my mouth a bit!!

ds3000
    Free Member

Something tells me my attempt at cx-ing the Pompino wouldn’t adhere to the rules.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I agree re the course design. Having suffered too many mountain mayhems in the mud I would have happily swapped my clogged MTB for a cross bike that was more easily pushed or carried round the course. It shows how poor the course is if a skinny tyred cross bike would be a better choice. I don’t know why people like Thetford MTB specifically ban them as I am sure they would not be faster round something like the dusk til Dawn course- even the 2010 mudfest.

miketually
    Free Member

I agree re the course design. Having suffered too many mountain mayhems in the mud I would have happily swapped my clogged MTB for a cross bike that was more easily pushed or carried round the course. It shows how poor the course is if a skinny tyred cross bike would be a better choice. I don’t know why people like Thetford MTB specifically ban them as I am sure they would not be faster round something like the dusk til Dawn course- even the 2010 mudfest.

You want a rigid 29er with cx tyres.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

That would have been ideal. As it was I had a rigid 26er with conti xcs so not too dissimilar:) could have just done with it being a bit lighter

igm

Onzadog – hydraulic discs for drops? Do go on…

Onzadog
    Free Member

It took some doing but it’s not as cunning as it sounds. Brake cables from the levers through some i-link housing to the stem. I’ve butchered the original cross top levers to work as mounts for some hope remote reservoirs which then run through some goodridge hoses to hope e4 callers and 165, 5 bolt discs both ends on bulb hubs on arch 29er rims.

The key to the whole thing was the hope remote reservoirs though.

GregMay
    Free Member

Dont mean its any good mind… or light

epicyclo

I’ll expect to see the next version of the Gryphon from Sam labelled Gryphon CX on one side and Gryphon 29er on the other. 🙂

That should confuse the issue slightly….

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Surely this just flags up the fact that the UCI, along with all those who want cycling to be a sport and not a laugh, *cough* BC *cough*, are just proto-fascists and should be ostracised and ignored until they leave us all well alone?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Wasn’t the Beijing Olympic course made more technical to stop riders using cx bikes? I think that a cx bike can be used in UCI MTB races, but not the other way round. All the events mentioned (eg mayhem and Thetford) have their own rules and are not bc or UCI sanctioned. To ensure riders don’t choose a cx bike, the course should be a mountain bike course not just have some arbitrary rule to stop it.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘29er/hybrid/cx’ is closed to new replies.