Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 29'er v's CX
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Just wondering, how much difference with respect to speed & handling in the real world would there be between a 29’er with say 35mm CX tyres fitted and a run if the mill CX bike?

The wagon wheeler would have traditional 2 or 3 X 9 transmission and disc brakes, more than likely flat bars with a rigid fork for CX duties.

The reason I ask is, I fancy having a dabble in CX this winter but can’t justify another bike so I’d sell my 26’er HT and build a 29’er to cover both, sound idea or not?

boxelder

Can’t you run 29 wheels on your 26″ HT, with some rigid forks?
    If you need to cover both, then a 29er will be better for road/CX than a CX is for ‘mountain biking’

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said.

No difference in speed, though angles etc will make the 2 feel different. I know, I’ve tried both, and am uncertain which to sell.

john_l
    Free Member

The 29er will be heavier & without drop bars it obviously won’t be a ‘cross bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My 29er is significantly lighter-about 1.5lb in the frame and fork. Cost for those was similar sh to the new cross frame (Pomp)

aP
    Free Member

Just get some 1.5″ tires for your 26er and stiffen your forks up. Are you going to the cx training tomorrow?

birdage

Found out my tricross could handle a lot of off road but had limits and was mostly seat of pants riding. That’s why I got the swift. Love both but more different than I’d imagined. Tricross is faster over trails but depends on avoidance tactics and is better on the road. Swift takes on anything, has taken me new places and is kinder to my body. Difficult to compare ali and steel though. Don’t feel as confident about doing multi-day tours on the swift but have no basis for this.

steve_b77
    Free Member

aP – not got my HT with me so nope, bit I may go and have a look to see what the score is.

Birdage – not bothered about on-road ability, got a roadie for that.

Boxelder – cunning plan, nice cheap way if doing it

cynic-al
    Free Member

birdage – Member
    Found out my tricross could handle a lot of off road but had limits and was mostly seat of pants riding. That’s why I got the swift. Love both but more different than I’d imagined. Tricross is faster over trails but depends on avoidance tactics and is better on the road. Swift takes on anything, has taken me new places and is kinder to my body. Difficult to compare ali and steel though. Don’t feel as confident about doing multi-day tours on the swift but have no basis for this.

I’d expect 95% of that is due to tyre width.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘29'er v's CX’ is closed to new replies.