• This topic has 28 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by fizik.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 29er Rim choice : Stan's MK3 – arch or flow? Or something else
  • Alex

For a shortish travel 29er. Need to build some wheels, have the hubs. The Arch is little narrower but apparently ‘optimised’ for 2.3-2.5′ in tyres. I’ll be running a magic mary/DHF/DHR sort of tyre.

I’m tempted by the Arch’s but wonder if it’s worth the weight penalty for the 30mm external rims of the Flows. Since I ride 2.8 tyres on 42mm rims most of the time, I’m worried anything less than that will look like a road tyre!

Other rim suggestions welcome. 32H, black. That’s about the only criteria.

Tracey

Wtb i25 at Planet X are £9.99
    We have the 27.5 built on pro2 with Butcher Purgatory tyres and they have been first class

Alex

Thanks. Bit narrow at 19mm

mariner
    Free Member

XM481?

Alex

That’s a good looking rim. Splits the weight between an Arch and a Flow. About the same price as well. Good call. Thanks.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bit narrow at 19mm

I thought i25 meant 25mm internal but seeing as it’s Planet-X you could be right

Rubber_Buccaneer

or XM421 if you are happy with 25mm internal rather than the XM481 at 30mm internal

simondbarnes

Halo Vapour 35

Alex

Not sure I want 25mm. Probably over thinking it but already have a cheap set of Superstar 25mms and I wish I’d bought the wider ones.

That Vapours look interesting Simon. I think you built a set recently.. okay for a 2.3 tyre? Or have you gone full chub?

Northwind

WTB sizes are internal so an i25 is 25mm. But who knows which rim PX are actually selling.

DT, Stans and WTB all have great options now. I would probably have gone DT except that WTB Frequencies were £45. But the Frequency is a big beast and even the KOM isn’t that light. Hard to go wrong really, just try and get teh one that’s right for your riding.

ton

wtb i29 on their way to me.
    got hope xc at present, which are too narrow for me.

simondbarnes

That Vapours look interesting Simon. I think you built a set recently.. okay for a 2.3 tyre? Or have you gone full chub?

2.3 on mine. Work well. Only rear so far as I’ve been too lazy to rebuild the front but will do when I get a chance.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Since I ride 2.8 tyres on 42mm rims most of the time

I’ve thought about this some more and decided the WTB ST i25 at £9.99 are a bargain but they are 597g so not for you.

Arch mk3 at 26mm internal and 453g or XM421 at 25mm internal and 465g are worthy but also not for you.

You must choose between the Flow mk3 which is 29mm internal and 527g or the XM481 which is 30mm internal and 525g.

I may have been looking at rims for myself lately. Still can’t decide 🙂

Alex

Hard to go wrong really, just try and get teh one that’s right for your riding.

I’ve never broken a rim (well I broke one but it was faulty out of the box) and I do like a lighter wheel.

I’m disinclined to buy anything from PlanetX. Even £9.99 feels too much of an investment 😉

Alex

Thanks @RB, I may be overthinking it as well 🙂

I’ve had lots of Stan’s and DT wheels and never had issues with any of them. Might just flip a coin. Or go with my chubby instincts and get the Halos. And I’ve not even got close to deciding what spokes I might want!

@simon – does your shop sell those halo rims

Northwind

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

You must choose between the Flow mk3 which is 29mm internal and 527g or the XM481 which is 30mm internal and 525g.

WTB KOM definitely worth a look at there too. Lighter but definitely not as tough

simondbarnes

@simon – does your shop sell those halo rims

Only got one in stock (stealth graphics) but can get more if you want

Alex

Thanks Simon, dropped you a msg on Twitter…

WTB KOM definitely worth a look at there too. Lighter but definitely not as tough

I’m not particularly brave, but I am clumsy. I’d sacrifice a bit of weight for a bit more get out of Jail toughness. I’m 77kg with kit on tho so don’t need a cart wheel.

I’m finding myself increasingly drawn to the 35mm rim. That’s my chubby leanings…

chakaping
    Free Member

XM481 if it fits the budget.

CheesybeanZ

Alex , slightly ot – did you sell the Stache ?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Any recommendations for something with a mid-wide, light, and asymmetric flavour?

Ta…

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 XM421 or 481

481 is a bit heavier. Adds up to 100g more for a set. I’m unsure about 30mm internal. To me, even 25mm is pretty wide 😀

Either would be good.

Alex

Alex , slightly ot – did you sell the Stache ?

I just did. Hence feeling the urge to replace it with something else!

jakd95
    Free Member

Those i25’s on PX are definitely 25mm internal, I’ve got a pair.

Tracey

My i25 are 25mm internal. I thought that’s what the numbers related to

bowglie

I’m running the XM481’s on my long travel 29er and Arch MK3 on my 120mm 29er, and am very pleased with the new Arch’s. I’m about 86-88kg in full kit and like a bit of rocky and rough trails and have no bother with them. Have tried the DT’s on the short travel bike, but they just dull it down a bit for my taste – good for smashing along on the bike bike though:)

Tyre-wise, I’ve found chubbier 2.35’s, such as Magic Mary’s suit either rim width well, but Maxxis Minion 2.35’s feel a bit odd and quite draggy on the DT rims (good on the Arch though). Oh, and if you go with the Arches and want to bomb proof them a bit, I can strongly recommend sticking a Mavic Charge/Quest XL tyre combo – the Charge is an excellent front tyre for a bit of hard charging in rough stuff.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I built up some Velocity Blunt SS rims on Novatec hubs for my SS Singular Swift rigid two years ago and still going strong. 26.6mm internal.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/velocity-rims-blunt-ss-mtb-rim/

Alex

@bow – thanks that’s useful information. Having done some research, frame I’m getting is a little tight for bigger than a 2.35 with decent mud clearance so it looks like the Stan’s Arch rims.

fizik
    Free Member

spank oozy 295, very tough and pretty light. Have hammered mine on a hardtail in the lakes (100kg) and they have been holding up fine. I got rims only and the built onto the hubs (32h version)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘29er Rim choice : Stan's MK3 – arch or flow? Or something else’ is closed to new replies.