Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 29er race-ish tyres?
  • scud
    Free Member

Sorry for another tyre thread, i’ve a Scandal 29er that i normally run with 2.35 front and 2.25 rear Nobby Nics on, i’m not a racer so have happy to have the weight penalty to have all round grip.

I’ve entered HONC and the IOM End 2 End this year and am thinking that over these distances a lighter tyre can only help if the weather is good and especially with HONC where it is not technical at all (from my understanding).

Looked at the usual Racing Ralph, Rocket Ron etc, but such a large choice these days now for 29ers, opinions on X-kings, Maxxis Ikon etc please?

Moda
    Free Member

Can only comment on the Maxxis Ikon and Ralph. Run both on the rear on the same bike. Used the maxxis for about 500 miles, found it much slower on harder surfaces, less traction in mud and mud does not clear from the tread as easy..

scud
    Free Member

Is ther much difference between the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron? they look similiar in tread pattern and weight if anyone knows?

IA

Crossmarks. It’s like an extra gear of free speed.

njee20
    Free Member

Is ther much difference between the Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron? they look similiar in tread pattern and weight if anyone knows?

Rons have a thinner carcass and are lighter, but more fragile, they have more grip in the centre and less on the shoulders. Ralphs are the opposite to all that!

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Njee, that has answered an old question, always look similar on interweb pictures.

jota180
    Free Member

I really liked the Conti Race Kings I had last summer

cheap too

steve_b77
    Free Member

Specialized Ground Control’s are good too, pretty light, tubeless ready and roll fast. Good in mud too

pete68
    Free Member

The maxxis aspens are good.seem quick to me.

the00
    Free Member

Another strong vote for Crossmarks. I’ve been using these for 4 years, and haven’t felt the need to try anything else yet…

scud
    Free Member

Thanks all, gives me a list to have a look at, now if only they were a bit cheaper…

njee20
    Free Member

Thanks Njee, that has answered an old question, always look similar on interweb pictures.

Yes fairly, both excellent tyres. I prefer the Ralph on firm or rocky terrain, but the Rons are excellent in loamy stuff.

nedrapier

Race King – Look! It’s in the name!

N.B. pretty quick, I thought, but I’ve never tried anything else that racey, bar SB8

lunge

Another vote for RaceKing.

And for cheapness, find a LaPierre dealer. They specced RaceKings as OE on some of their bikes and a lot of people asked for them to be changed leaving said dealers with spare tyres. I picked a Supersonic one up for £10 at a tame dealer.

Clink

Aspens are good – I’ve used a 2.4 RR on front and Aspen on back on rigid bike.

E_G

Scud – the Ikons (non-EXO) are quite a fragile tyre. I’ve run a pair on my race 29er for the past year and rocks have punctured the sidewall on the rear on a couple of occasions (@ Kirroughtree and Ben Nevis) – I’m running them tubeless. The sidewall is definitely flimsy, but that’s why they only weigh 540g each!

I have now kept an Ikon on the front but put a Race King on the rear – it’s a far more sturdy tyre. First ride with that combo will be a race this weekend, so I don’t yet know how their performance stacks up against the Ikon.

I also have a pair of X-Kings for my rigid 29er. I’d ordered them March 2011 and they finally arrived last month. So far I’ve only managed time to get the 2.4 on – put up front to give some cushioning, replacing a Mud-X. They weigh more than expected – 805g for the 2.4 and something like 750g for the 2.2, so both about 50g more than advertised. I should get a chance to see how that performs this weekend.

Bearing in mind that the Ikons are almost twice the price of the Conti’s, my money will probably be on the Race Kings next time.

EG

xcneil
    Free Member

Rons 2.25 front and rear here all year round

I’ve managed to put a mystery sidewall bulge in every Race King I’ve ever owned.
    For trailquesting, which is generally similar to HONC for it’s mix of road and off road, I usually use Specialized Fast Traks.
    Currently using Geax Barro Racers. Blinking flip, they’re fast.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m with the vegan – Barros for the win!

takisawa2

My 29er tyre findings:-
    (All weights as measured on the wifes kitchen scales).

Conti Mountain King 2.2’s…(forgot to weigh them), sold on quickly, for me…dangerous. Hated them. Huge side knobs that just seemed to deflect horribly at the wrong moment.

Bonty Jones ACX…(forgot to weigh them), roll well, pretty light. Liked them. Knobs well spaced but bit short. Never got to try them in gloop.

Kenda Nevegal…dear lord!!!, 850g each & they roll accordingly. Ok, not that bad but they are a bit hefty though. Dont think they work as well in 29″ as 26″.

Kenda SmallBlock8…502g each, roll like a slick & grip a lot more than they should given the profile. Cant wait to get them back on.

WTB Prowler SL…715g each. Surprised by these. Really like them. Roll well, & seem to grip well enough. Pretty good for £15ea.

Rik
    Free Member

Email me if you want a bargain pair of nearly new Bonty 29er race tyres

jimification
    Free Member

Anyone know if you can get non Tubeless Ready 29er Rons or Ralphs anywhere? (pref snakeskin) – I really like the tread patterns / sizes but the TR versions are too tight on (cough) 29er Crests. Failing that, any other tyres with similar tread pattern / volume / weight? (want something without too much rolling resistance but I’m not up for changing tyres when it rains!) ta!

Was going to try Maxxis 29er Ikons but sounds like they are a bit skaty in the mud and not fast in the dry?…

keavo
    Free Member

for racing on terrain that i don’t know i just use rocket rons, fast and grip well in most conditions. they look fragile but have been ok for me.
    i also have some geax barro race and think they are very light and fast, but punctured twice in races last year using them. don’t use them anywhere rocky/rough. might be good for honc (i’ve not ridden that though)
    aspens and karma 1.9’s are also decent racy tyres but i’ve not bothered using them since i got the rons.

boltonjon

You’ll need a tyre with tough sidewalls for the E2E – there is a long fast DH on some pretty slatey path – puncture ally 😥

But, at t start, there is a 12 mile road section to warm you up at

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘29er race-ish tyres?’ is closed to new replies.