• This topic has 57 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by womp.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • 29er hardtail: short travel & slack
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

Ideally thinking of a new frame.

Needs to be:
    29er hardtail
    short travel <120 mm
    Modern Geo. (slack, long, low etc.)

sort of a on one summer season type thing. What is there?

thepodge
    Free Member

I think you might struggle a bit with that, slack usually goes with longer travel than 120

honourablegeorge

Was it wrecker that had a Bird Zero with short fork and angleset?

renton
    Free Member

On one Parkwood perhaps?

NormalMan

Would the latest Solaris suit?

cokie

The Bird is 650b.

There’s a few choices- Canfield YS, NP Scout 290, the new Last frame, 2Soulds QH .

honourablegeorge

Ah, missed the 29.

Last is 140mm, so not really short travel. And it’s also not bloody here yet.

cokie

Good looking though, eh 😮 ! Have they released the total price yet?

Northwind

Parkwood with a headset, if you can live with the shortness?

renton
    Free Member

Are they that short Northwind?

thomthumb
    Free Member

parkwood is too short. same ETT as inbred (less reach) so i kow it’ll fit best with an 80-90 mm stem.

I think the last would be fine with 120mm. plenty slack enough & bb drop is only 50 mm, so would be 70ish with less travel. Any thoughts. it’s certainly on the list.

rOcKeTdOg

Ragley BigWig is 129-150

Gotama
    Free Member

Swarf Spline? 120mm and slack.

BTR Ranger also fits the bill.

honourablegeorge

cokie – Member
    Good looking though, eh ! Have they released the total price yet?

The frame is 549 Euro – various build kits and the like on sale below

http://www.last-bikes-shop.com/epages/62262325.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62262325/Categories/%22FASTFORWARD%20Specials%22

thepodge
    Free Member

I think it depends what you mean by long and slack, do you mean by today’s standards or by last decade’s standards?

Most of the ones listed above are normal by today’s standards so I wouldn’t really call them LLS.

pigyn
    Free Member

Ragley Bigwig is 120/130/140, 65deg static at 130 so 65.5 at 120mm.

How long are you aiming for?

*cough*
    Bigwig Frame + Free Bar/Stem/Saddle
    *cough*

ade9933
    Free Member

I run my Canfield Nimble 9 on 120 Revs if it helps. I think it’s recommended for 120 – 140.

z1ppy

Whytes 29er series are relaxed, come with a 110mm forks… Stick a 120 up front & relax it a bit more, though difficult to find whyte’s frame only (2016’s are good if you want a really long TT)
    Kona (old) Tora or new Honzo might be options to consider.

thepodge
    Free Member

Honzo now comes in Steel, Aluminium and Titanium.

Its what I have but with 140 forks

Northwind

Fastforward has the drawback of the offset wheel. Not necessarily a problem but something to consider.

I’m experiencing quite a lot of HOW MUCH here 😆 Ragley, Swarf… and Last’s exciting offer to sell you a Pike for 800 euros.

renton – Member

Are they that short Northwind?

The medium’s about 400mm of reach so yeah. I was thinking of sizing up to a large but even then it’s pretty short. Shame really.

Dartmoor Primal is another one that could have been a contenda if they’d put an extra inch in the front triangle.

Can you get a Honzo frame only? Looks interesting, if still a bit short of wheelbase

taxi25
    Free Member

Loving my scout 290 😀 how come you only want 120mm of travel ? fair enough if you already have a fork, but the 130mm forks on the scout feel spot on and give a bit of insurance for my clumsiness 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

I want to like the Last FF but the rear dropouts put me off, I would have thought symmetrical, 142 and fixed not adjustable would have been and easier / preferred option for most.

No one seems totally sure on the Honzo availability, now they have 3 options its all a bit messy.

Northwind

Scout with a +10mm headset, if you’ve already got 120mm forks? It’s still not long in the reach though is it? I’m hoping to testride at the CRC demos but I think I’d need to go up to a large. Frankly I’d rather have the XL’s reach.

thepodge
    Free Member

Sounds like me and you are looking for a similar frame Northwind

honourablegeorge

thepodge – Member
    I want to like the Last FF but the rear dropouts put me off, I would have thought symmetrical, 142 and fixed not adjustable would have been and easier / preferred option for most.

Yeah. TBH, I’d have preferred if they just went 142…I’d even have preferred boost. But a slight offset on the wheel isn’t a big issue for me.

thepodge
    Free Member

I didn’t realise till looking just now but it seems like to remove the rear wheel from the Last FF you have to also remove the rear mech.

honourablegeorge

thepodge – Member
    I didn’t realise till looking just now but it seems like to remove the rear wheel from the Last FF you have to also remove the rear mech.

No – you remove axle from NDS, and the mech and hanger stay in place.

ade9933
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa?

chiefgrooveguru

Was it wrecker that had a Bird Zero with short fork and angleset?

’tis me! About to head home on it, having made my office chair rather damp and muddy after a filthy offroad commute this morning…

Wrong size wheels for this thread though…

matt_outandabout

A Whyte has to be slack, low and longer?

rOcKeTdOg

egb81
    Free Member

http://zealousbikeco.com/?portfolio=division-frameset

I run a 120mm fork on this. 68deg head angle isn’t super slack but for a 29er it’s not bad.

NormalMan

@ rocketdog
    I’d asked about your 29er on another thread and you said the latest Bigwig. But I’d not seen one. That looks SO good.

thv3
    Free Member

Titus Fireline, Ti frame, 120mm travel, 67.5 degree head angle, long TT and £599 just now.

Got one and I love it 😀

z1ppy

Titus Fireline…. long TT

LOL

try check out ..that’s long (huge in the XL case), On One are unable to create anything with a long TT

thepodge
    Free Member

In classic On One style the geo sheet on the Titus puts the Reach longer than the ETT.

The Ragley big wig isn’t particularly long either.

rOcKeTdOg

Normal Man – Member
    @ rocketdog
    I’d asked about your 29er on another thread and you said the latest Bigwig. But I’d not seen one. That looks SO good.

Rides nicely too although I’m coming to it after 18 months of exclusively fat bike riding so feels “different”

It’s a 20″ & I’m running a 50mm stem & 130mm forks, might go 60mm but going to try it as it is for a while

NormalMan

^18 months! There was me worrying how I’d get on with my Solaris later this week after 3 months of purely fat bike!

Sorry for the thread hijack OP. But what grips and frame bag are they?

bigjim

it’s not long as my Smuggler but I really like my Parkwood, I’d say a good cheap thrills option.

rOcKeTdOg

Superstar flangey things & a custom http://www.beebabe.co.UK upcycled inner tube bag

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘29er hardtail: short travel & slack’ is closed to new replies.