Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 29er frame recommendations
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Hello,
    Currently I have a MK2 scandal which builds up very light but rear clearance is very limiting and the front end is lower than I’d like.

Out the loop on most things, but would like something similar but with just greater clearance, higher in the front and slacker head angle.
    Would be running it rigid and rear wheels are all 135qr but can convert to bolt through.
    Mostly XC and the odd trail centre jaunt.

Any thoughts on what would be a good suitable replacement for frame only?

Cheers all

akira

Problem is most new frames are 148 rear so you might not be able to convert your hubs to that. New scandal is nice but overpriced currently, new bfe bit burly but fits the bill 29/27.5, pace do 27.5 or 29, commmencal got a few options, orange got fair few options as well. Mostly you’re looking at £500+ and you my need to budget new wheels and maybe fork.

chakaping
    Free Member

Assuming you’re not after anything particularly long or slack, a nice used Cotic Solaris or Stanton Sherpa frame would be top of my shopping list.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

The new Cotic Solaris max and Bfe Max look like the would fit the bill nicely, are reasonably priced too.

I must confess I was sorely tempted myself.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Did think Sherpa but could be a bit weighty?
    Maybe that the cheaper end of things is the only place to still find non-boost?

damascus
    Free Member

New on one scandal frame and a boost kit on the rear? Or re build your wheel with a hope hub?

Its just a modern version of your bike but keeps its heritage. Plenty of room for 2.6 inch tyres with mud clearance.

Although there’s no stock of frames only left they’ve sold so many that you will be able to pick one up from people on here.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Have been googling boost spacing kits, so that’s certainly an option…but only if the scandal comes back to no-one pricing, currently listed at £599!

akira

Bike scene have a few things reduced

nuke

I’ve a Scandal V2 too and I do have the odd thought about replacing it: aside the new Scandal that Im not totally sure would be suitable given I’d prefer a more XC biased frame (Ive run my Scandal V2 in various guises including 130mm forks but it currently got rigid forks), my current favourite is the Sonder Frontier….if Sonder could answer the couple of questions I sent them back in mid May I might even get one!

Clink

Specialized Chisel would be perfect but not available frame only in UK.

tomaso
    Free Member

My Stanton Sherpa is neither light nor heavy, but it rides sweetly. It’s a mark 1 and clearance is not huge, but it depends what size tyres you want to run. I got a little tyre rub with 2.3 Maxxis when stamping in the pedals out of the saddle.

You could always go mainstream and look at a Giant XTC or a Trek Supercalbier or a Specialized Stumjumper etc

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘29er frame recommendations’ is closed to new replies.