Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 29+ full bounce
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

After extended period of fat bike riding decided that fat-full-bounce might be a bit overkill, even with CF wheels and light-ish tyres.

But I still like idea of additional traction, hence 29+ full bouncer thought.

Not many of these on the market either.

Lenz Behemoth + is an option but some conflicting reviews and it is expensive as fek.
    Not a fan of Full Stache, as I’m paranoid about PF bottom brackets. Same story with Salsa Deadwood.

So I’m probably left with Banshee Prime – 2.8 capacity with long dropouts – and… Any other spacious 29ers to play with? Orange or maybe FlareMax? They are looking promising, but official websites saying no for 2.8-3 inch rubber…

Cheers!
    I.

rene59
    Free Member

There isn’t anything else really for true 29+ unless you go custom. I read somewhere that the Specialized Stumpjumper 29er may be able to take wider tyres, but I haven’t looked to confirm

I don’t like PF bottom brackets either, but I do like the look of the trek full stache enough to overlook it and will probablly end up with one of them later this year.

Edit: https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/specialized-updates-stumpjumper-unusual-sidearm-design-adds-29-support/

bonesetter
    Free Member

Where do you ride?

I had a custom Lenz (Behemoth) and thought it a load of crap – too high BB and single pivot which didn’t work. Looks good though

Cost a fortune, took 6 months to arrive and Devin Lenz made it the wrong size. Mikesee on MTBR is his frontman and sells it well

big_scot_nanny

Yeah, I am also generally speaking a hater of PF, but then after my third warranty replacement PF-BB on the Surly ICT, I went and bought one of those ‘screw together’ wheels manufacturing BBs.

I know this is the kiss of death, but I’ve been riding that BB now for 2.5yrs, a great deal of it in shitty conditions, I occasionally give it a clean and some fresh grease, and its been totally bomb proof, original bearings still going strong. Incredible.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-outboard-abec-3-bb-for-24mm-shimano-cranks-black.html

So, I wouldn’t discount the full stache just yet! (I’d bloody love one)

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Where do you ride?

Mainly Peaks and Lakes. So my concern is with PF not withstanding gritty Peak District conditions.

How is that working big_scot_nanny? Looks like standard cartridge bearings with some fancy, expandable spacer inside? Or is that the whole trick of that invention, that instead of PF fitting you are screwing it into the BB shell?

I dismissed Lenz, mainly on the base of ridiculous price tag and very polarized reviews.

Prime appeals to me mainly due to it’s badass attitude.

Spesh… Another of my personal demons but maybe it is time to put it aside? Might not be an option anyways, as frame only available in S-Works option…

Price tag on Trek and Prime is similar… Might be just down to whatever I’ll be able to get first and/or cheaper…

Cheers!
    I.

rene59
    Free Member

Spesh… Another of my personal demons but maybe it is time to put it aside?

Maybe. They now come with threaded bottom brackets and use standard non-proprietary components. They are still Specialized though so maybe not.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a PF BB. Been on there for ooh, 9 months or so. Is still fine, does not creak, was easy to fit. I had a press already tho.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

They are still Specialized though so maybe not.

Yeah, same feeling here mate. Not sure if I could look myself in the face after buying Spesh 😉

9 months or so. Is still fine, does not creak, was easy to fit.

Friend of mine, from the Lakes maneged to kill 3 in the span of last summer only. Too many river fordings perhaps?

Cheers!
    I.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I have a stache… Frankenmonster. Would not discount just because of the pressfit. Yes I am on my third bb in a couple of years but they are dead cheap and very easy to replace with a bit of stud, hammer and large washers. No drama. Much prefer threaded BBS but apart from this issue the stache and 29 plus format works very well (albeit a little niche these days).

Grab a spare one of these and be done for a bit!

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-xt-mt800-mtb-press-fit-bottom-bracket/rp-prod135902?gs=1&sku=sku493103&pgrid=60711843258&ptaid=pla-426089234549&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|s405qmgwL_dm|pcrid|309840119912|pkw||pmt||prd|493103UK&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyvzv6eHX4AIVjrztCh0xLAGrEAQYASABEgLvF_D_BwE

akkwlsk
    Free Member

Dear Ivan 😉
    Check this
    and this

I’ve also heard rumours about Stumpy being 29+ compatibile and I’ve seen a picture of Pole evolink with 29×3.0 tyres. Just can’t remember where.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘29+ full bounce’ is closed to new replies.