Home Forums Bike Forum 27.5” wheel into 26” fork ?

• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 27.5” wheel into 26” fork ?
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

I tried it in the workshop and it fits with a bit of clearance too but is it a good idea ? It’s a Fox 150 travel if that helps.
    Anyone tried this ? I know plenty have used 29” forks with 27.5” wheels

cynic-al
    Free Member

If there is clearance then why not? Will affect handling obvs.

ceept

Of it fits, then why not. Check it doesn’t hit the crown when it bottoms out though, that could get messy.

tthew

I know plenty have used 29” forks with 27.5” wheels

Well yeah, because that’s a smaller wheel in a fork with greater clearance. If there’s plenty of room around a sensible size tyre you’ll be OK, but if it’s tight a bit of rim deflection will see the tyre grab the arch or crown on full compression and spit you over the bars. It’ll steepen the head angle a little too.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

I did this a few weeks ago. 2008 Rock Lobster Team Tig SL. I originally had 26″ Mavic 717 with Hope hubs Got my local wheel guru to lace the hubs to a set of 27.5 rims (£8 each from Planet X) and tyres (2.1’s)- £8 each again from Planet X. Plenty of room both on front and back.

Got everything set up on a Friday and had first ride next day. I’m now dead. Been dead for 3 weeks now. Completely screwed up the handling. Bit sad actually. Was hoping to see my daughter graduate and maybe even get married, but I’m now stuck on this bloody cloud firing arrows all over the place. Don’t think much of the uniform. Just a wee nappy thingy. (Gonna be bloody cold in the winter.)

My advice —- Don’t do it. Bloody death traps.

STUPID DEATHS, STUPID DEATHS, THERE FUNNY CUZ THERE TRUE…… STUPID DEATHS, STUPID DEATHS, HOPE NEXT TIME ITS NOT YOU.

feed

I remember when 27.5 was first being mooted as a halfway house to 29″ the advantage being offered (by the wheel makers) was that they “should” fit your 26″ forks \ frames. Guess the frame\fork manufacturers saw the dollar signs. I’d give it a shot, maybe full face on the first spin.

TheSlider
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about that Simon. Maybe taking the isolation thing a bit too
    far !
    Thanks guys for the advice. I might let my wife try it first….

Poopscoop

^^ Sort her life insurance first mate.

No reason you should both suffer.

bsims
    Free Member

650b with 2.3 HR2 or 2.2 XR 2 wouldn’t fit in my 26in Fox 32.

honourablegeorge

As above, main worry is the crown hitting the tyre at bottom out. Your wheel stopping dead with fork fully compressed would be bad. Let all the air out and check it.

Other than that, if it fits, it’ll probably be bit tight for mud clearance. And it’ll have the new fangled shorter offset.

BearBack
    Free Member

27.5 Conti trail king (rubber queen) fits in a 26″ fox 36 in 2.2 flavor but not 2.4

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

YES….. Get your life in order BEFORE you start tinkering. I can’t sign any life-assurance papers from up here mate. If I concentrate really hard, I can just about make a book fall off my daughters shelf in her bedroom. That’s about it.

Seriously….. Don’t do it man. 27.5 WILL NOT WORK in 26″ forks. You WILL die.

greeny30
    Free Member

What’s the clearance between top of tyre and fork arch and cornering tread to the arch.

hols2
    Free Member

As above, it’s purely a matter of tyre clearance. I would suggest 5 mm minimum clearance so that twigs and pebbles can easily clear, let alone claggy mud. And, of course, you need to let all the air out and make sure they clear the crown too.

bsims
    Free Member

What year are your forks BearBack?

This came up a year or so ago, with someone else saying a 650b wheel and tyre combo fitted their Fox tallas I think. There is no hope with the high roller in mine, the tread blocks catch at no travel, the bontys catch at about half travel. My forks are 2014 and my suspicion is that when 650b forks went into production they lowered the clearance on 26 in forks so people had to buy new forks. It may just be that the 32 is lower to save material and therefore weight.

To the OP – give it a go, it you have the right clearance ride it, if the geometry changes you might find you like the bike that way.

As Simon Semtex says you could well die, but that is inevitable what ever the cause. I found when I had 26in wheels and forks on 27.5 frame that after a few fiery explosive deaths I got used to it and quite liked the way the bike rode.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘27.5” wheel into 26” fork ?’ is closed to new replies.