Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 26" Wide Rims For Semi-Fat Front End?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Going to get a 2.7″ Dirt Wizard up front on my SS but wondering about wheel builds. Currently running XC717s which aren’t going to be much cop and I don’t really want to spunk £100+ on a Surly Rabbit Hole rim + wheel build costs.

Is there anyone out there using an alternative? I’ve seen Halo do a 26″ fat bike rim but its 80mm which is too wide – looking for something 40/50mm wide and light’ish.

Anyone?

Mbnut
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/spank-stiffy-evo-40al-2014/rp-prod65118

Been thinking about popping some Dirt Wizards on a set of these….

ajantom

Kris Holm unicycle rims
    These would be perfect – only in 36 hole though.
    They also do one without cut outs for £35.

doof_doof
    Free Member

65mm Chinese carbon tooo wide?

http://www.carbonbicycle.cc/newsshow.php?cid=4&id=31

mmmm

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Onza do a 45mm with cut outs that works well

nedrapier

Just got a dirt wizard for mine. Thought I’d try it on the crest on there at the moment, and it’s pretty good. Top of the list for wide rim as and when are velocity Blunt 35 or Dually or maybe Syntace W35 or W45

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all – will take a look at all the suggestions…

letmetalktomark

A word of caution regarding the trials rims…..

I used a double skin rear trials rim for a fat front a while back.

It worked really well but having the cut outs and with it being double skinned dirt and debris got in between the skins as the tape was on the inner skin – does that make sense?

I’m currently looking at the new Onza single skin trials rims to replace some 823s for a similar set up.

Rock and Roll bikes stock them. Circa 45mm and about £50.

nedrapier

I’ve been doing some measuring and the biggest differences between the X King and the Dirt Wizard are the cost, the tread pattern and the weight. Volume, not so much…

All measurements round the casing with digital calipers, circumference rim hook to hook with thread and tape measure.

Front “2.75” Dirt Wizard on Crest. 20 psi
    Width (digital calipers) – 2.35 in
    height from rim hook (d.c.) – 2.05 in
    circumference (thread and tape measure) – 6.5 in

Rear “2.4” X-King on Crest 20 psi
    Width – 2.33 in
    height from rim hook – 1.91 in
    circumference – 6.25 in

Dirt Wizard is 850g in the light weight version and costs £65
    X King is 560g in light weight version, costs £35
    Admittedly the tread is chunkier and is going to take a lot of that extra weight.

A 39 mm (internal) Velocity Dually is 610g
    21mm internal Crest is 340g

So you may as well get a wide rim and whatever tyre you fancy, but don’t think the Dirt Wizard is THE way to go for an extra volume. I did see a chap running the 2.4in X-kings on Duallys and they looked pretty substantial!

Maybe if I say “biff, biff, biff,” he’ll come and say how he likes them?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I know a few people using 2.4 Contis on normal rims and they come up big. Swaying between semi fat or its getting into the realms of some nice used SIDs etc cost wise. The SS could do with new wheels at some point though…

letmetalktomark

I think rider weights and style need to be taken into consideration.

If I ran crests with a 2.7″ tyre at 20psi I am sure it would all end in tears …..

nedrapier

what about a 2.35? 🙂

nedrapier

Swaying between semi fat or its getting into the realms of some nice used SIDs etc

Exactly. Cost and weight wise:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fat-front-v-normal-rigid-v-suss-fork

trail_rat
    Free Member

i picked up some Try-All K2s 48MM for 43 quid an end for my 9zero7 build.

single skin , 570grams on the kitchen scales and will be run with 3.8 Nates

mrkbutty

Just installed a Hans Damp 2.35 (the TrialStar snakeskin model) on a bonty rim (around 20mm). Comes up about the same as the X-king measurements above maybe slightly larger.

Very impressed with this tyre the sidewall is so strong I can run at 20psi and that a 13.5st bloke.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Anyone tried the 2.5 version of Kenda’s Nevegal, the 850g claimed weight and price seem reasonable? I’ve currently got the 2.35 on a Halo T2 (32mm) which I can run down to 15psi. I just wondered if the 2.5 was enough bigger to make the change worthwhile?

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I think Vee Rubber make a 26 x 3″ tyre which might be worth looking at? Their prices are very reasonable, especially compared to Surly.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘26" Wide Rims For Semi-Fat Front End?’ is closed to new replies.