• This topic has 47 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Who else eats lots of sweets?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I probably smash four big haribo bags a week, plus a sneaky choccie bar here and there. It’s usually the evenings when I can’t resist. Does anyone else have a similar sized habit and what’s the worst that can happen? The one thing I stick to is they’re always jelly type sweets, so they’re not in my mouth for long and I try to look after my teeth as much as possible.

jam-bo

what’s the worst that can happen?

Diabetes?

bearnecessities

I’m not sweet toothed, but have a problem if faced with a bag of fantastic.

Savoury is my weakness. Party sized sausage rolls/cheese & crackers/crisps/those snacky things with pretzels and fishy shaped things you only see at christmas/pissy bar nuts.

…etc etc.

AD

I have a weakness for Haribo – not 4 bags a week though – so you win!

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll get/be fat in the short term, and get diabetes in the long term. Neither are great.

tomhoward

I don’t but I easily could I think. I love jelly sweets!

what’s the worst that can happen?

Diabetes?

Already there…. Though not the one from too many sweeties.

monkeyboyjc

completely addicted to sugar – always seem to have a bag of something in the car, although generally boiled sweets, not haribo as they are too easy to eat.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I used to be addicted to sweets having a really sweet tooth……….until I developed diabetes! So my advice is be sensible it’s not clever, like alcohol everything in moderation as a treat not as a dietary requirement.

cheers_drive

Terrible sweet habit here. Can just about cope with just dark chocolate but if any haribo or similar are in the house I lose control.
    Thing is after a handful I don’t enjoy it but I just can’t stop. Can’t stand sugary cereal or hot drinks though. Just sweets and cake

njee20
    Free Member

Just don’t buy them… 😕

murf
    Free Member

I can easily munch 4 cakes a day, plus extra if I find it in the house.
    I seem to be some sort of genetic freak though as I’m 5ft10 and 10.5 stone. Been eating like this since mid teens and never gain weight. I’m active though and eat well other than my cake habit. Changed jobs last year and got a medical, blood sugar levels were fine.

Am I lucky or heading for disaster?

cheers_drive

I generally don’t. My mother in law thinks she us treating me by bringing boxes of Haribo.

d45yth
    Free Member

Murf – I’d like to know the same. I’m now 35 and have been 10.5 for years. At one point I was making sure my morning bait, lunch and tea were a 1000kcal each, was having breakfast, snacks mid-afternoon, a few bagels with peanut butter before a ride and something before bed – this was when I was riding a lot more and I was actually losing weight!

paul4stones

When you say you try to look after your teeth there’s nothing you can do to prevent them decaying if you’re eating sweets like that. It doesn’t matter if the stuff isn’t in your mouth long it’s the frequency of sugar intake that is the problem and it makes no difference whether you brush your teeth after or not. The advice to not buy the stuff is best. I’m the same with liquorice allsorts so I just don’t buy them except occasionally. You are an adult aren’t you?

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Oh man if I start on stuff like haribo I can stop, I get real sugar cravings and work right near shop that’s an old fashioned sweet shop, must be at least 50 jars of everything in there and it’s cheap aswell. At home I find myself mooching through the kitchen for the stuff, I try not to buy jelly sweets but there’s stuff in for the kids. I eat way too much chocolate I eat 2-3 Easter eggs a day around Easter time and as much chocolate as can get my hands on I can eat anything from 10-15 bars a day.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I try to avoid buying them in the first place.

A pack of Haribo lasts about 20 minutes in my car. I can buy a bag and kid myself I’ll make them last the week but once opened….

I now eat apples instead.

matther01
    Free Member

The fact haribo type sweets are made pretty much from pig fat puts me off.

Chocolate and cake on the other hand…

hora
    Free Member

OP you know its really bad for you right?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wine gums are my blackspot. A single packet is dispatched without breathing. Truly shocking.

sssimon
    Free Member

tomhoward

I eat way too much chocolate I eat 2-3 Easter eggs a day around Easter time and as much chocolate as can get my hands on I can eat anything from 10-15 bars a day.

😯

I really hope you are joking.

zippykona

Are crisps better for you?
    I love crisps.

firestarter
    Free Member

I eat loads tangfastic skittles winegums licorice allsorts and jelly babies. Sometimes I can get thru 2 and 3 packs on the trot and thats the big packets.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I eat none of this stuff, and I’m still a reet fat bastard. Life’s not fair!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I always thought I had a proper sweet tooth and a eat a lot of sweets….

Then I read this thread and realised I’m not even close you bunch of bloody animals!! 🙂

cliffyc
    Free Member

Try the odd bit of dried fruit?,dates and apricots are my favourite.

zippykona

I have to stand next to this all day!

BadlyWiredDog

I buy stuff from Wiggle just to get the Haribo. I throw the bike components away. It means I can lie to myself about my habit; I’m not buying sweets right, just eating them, so in my mind it’s not really a problem.

MoreCashThanDash

Wine Gum addict here – pop into a supermarket when I’m out and about for work to use the loos, come out with a bag of wine gums and within half an hour they are gone. Embarassing.

I can also do some damage to packs of chocolate coated peanuts as well, the little M&S packets especially.

tmb467
    Free Member

Not sure where the rumour that eating sugary sweets gives you diabetes comes from but that’s like saying you can catch cat aids from a toilet seat

If you’re genetically susceptible then obesity will make it more likely that you’ll develop it but eating haribo definitely won’t give you diabetes.

I so do love the wisdom of the internets

deluded
    Free Member

Rowntree’s Randoms (originals and Squidgy and Tandem’s) are my Achilles – love em.

On a car journey a large pack normally last until I’ve got about a mile down the road. I’m a dreadful tuckerist though.

jameso

I think Haribo etc is pretty nasty stuff, thankfully : )

I have eaten half a dozen or more Reeces PB cups (std and XL pack size) a day while riding though, enjoyed being able to justify that.. I can eat like a man v food pro at times but only have to think of the excess junk calories vs the riding needed to burn it off to generally persuade myself to not bother. Why concern yourself with 300g on a pair of tyres if you’ve eaten 2000 calories of unnecessary crap that week? If you don’t care about either, all good, carry on : ) Diet nazis do get on my wick, anything in moderation is ok.

Turnoisier
    Free Member

As tmb467 says. There is no direct link between sugar consumption and diabetes.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Haribo type sweets are rank, but I do worry about my Blok consumption at times. So much so that I’ve now started restricting myself to a single Blok for a 2 hour ride, and one more Blok for every hour after that.

Haribo may not give you Diabetes, but I don’t think it can be good for your teeth?

mashiehood
    Free Member

I once ate a small Easter egg in one hit after coming back from a ride which ‘bonked’! I’m still horrified I did that, reading this thread makes me feel good again!

Klunk
    Free Member

my biggest problem with sweets is when the wife buys them for car journeys. Trapped in a steel box with an endless supply of mint imperials, i’m only human 😳

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I eat way too much chocolate I eat 2-3 Easter eggs a day around Easter time and as much chocolate as can get my hands on I can eat anything from 10-15 bars a day.

I really hope you are joking.

Nope deadly serious

johnhe

Salt and Vinegar crisps and McVities Chocolate Digestives are the temptation for me. Oh, and Maltesers.

Problem is that, although in my 30’s I didn’t put much weight on, that’s all changed in my 40’s and now I’m starting to look like I swallowed a football.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

MrsBristolPablo and I are terrible, we should have shares in Swizzels Matlow… her vice is refreshers and love hearts, i can eat my body weight in milk teeth (oh the irony!) and monkey bars…

rob8624
    Free Member

Kidney stones and diabetes. Good luck!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Who else eats lots of sweets?’ is closed to new replies.