Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • 26 inch dismissal , old fart ramblings
  • lairdburkart
    Free Member

I have an old 26 mtb. It’s now a commuter and winter bike. An old friend gave it to me so it has sentimental value and I will ride it till it gives up.
    I popped to lbs on it a few months back. It caused a stir with the young lads from the shop. “Nah that’s ancient. Twenty six inch wheels! Nah can’t get owt for that”
    So away I went with my money. Even rang another not so local shop and got a similar answer.
    So spent my money elsewhere.
    Just recently riding home on tow path and suffered a massive double puncture that ruined my 26 inch rear shwalbe marathon!
    As I am faffing about getting rear wheel out a nice chap riding by stops and asks if I needed help. I began to tell him about my disaster when he interrupted me.
    “What size wheels are they?”
    “26..he interrupts me again!
    “Ah you’ve no chance mate” and rides off.
    Oooookkkaaaay. I think as I watch him zoom off.
    Still riding the old beast though. So there.

ayjaydoubleyou

26″ marathons will be around forever.

26″ soft compound Assegais for 30mm rims, possibly more of a struggle.

poah
    Free Member

plenty of 26 stuff still around. Won’t get anything newly designed but older stuff is still made especially the commuter tyres etc. People are idiots and bike shops are even worse lol.

I just built up a 26er

matt_outandabout

There is 26″ stuff around, but expecting a good selection, better quality and in stock is becoming more and more of an issue. Shops cannot keep huge stock, or indeed in some cases get new 26″ stuff, so you are now heading towards new old stock items.

We made the moved a couple of years back to 27.5 or 29 for the whole family because of this.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Selection online for tyres isn’t too bad. Difficult for local bike shops to justify holding stock I guess.

jonba
    Free Member

Premium stuff is harder to come by. Also new tech like wider tubeless rims and the full range of tyres.

There are many years before it becomes a problem. Probably no harder than anything else right now due to the brexit/covid combination.

I’d not buy one now but the money you would spend on moving up a wheels size will keep you going a long time. Looking at my bikes which are now mostly 29/700C (except the old SS inbred 26″) it’s still an issue with compatibility as I’ve got 100,110+135,142,148 axle lengths with a mix of QR,12mm and 15mm axles! Not to mention 10,11 and 12 speed.

BruceWee

Why oh why won’t riders support their LBS???

Don’t you know you have to burn your bike after it’s 2 years old because it’s worthless and go back to the LBS in order to pay full RRP on a new one?

BruceWee

On a slightly more serious note, I would try to find a better LBS.

If their business model is to only cater to people who come in with the newest kit then they will soon go out of business (no doubt blaming online stores and disloyal customers in a passive aggressive facebook post)

tonyd

We made the moved a couple of years back to 27.5 or 29 for the whole family because of this

How old are your kids Matt? I have two boys, 10 and 11. The 11 year old is starting to look big on his 24″ (Orbea MX24) so we’ll likely have to get him a new bike this year. One of his mates has a 29er and it looks like he’s sat on a gate. I’ve been thinking about a 26er for my lad, initially building one up for him until the wife reminded me of the joys of going to the shop and choosing your new bike. Problem is 26ers are harder and harder to find, and as above, it’s getting harder to find parts.

Should I get him a 27.5? (I still ride 26 because I’m stubborn and have little legs).

p7eaven
    Free Member

So spent my money elsewhere.

Probably me being thick but I couldn’t understand the OP? Were you attempting to trade the 26er in for something more modern?

I like 26er hardtails (as long as they can clear mud > 2.3”) My favourite MTB until last year was one and have all the bits to rebuild it as soon as can find a suitable replacement frame. Shame they don’t last forever!

wzzzz
    Free Member

Ha!

It’s a bike, it works, it’s cheap to run who cares?

I was just thinking about picking up a 26er for going with my lad to the pump track, 26 bikes are far easier to jump and manual. But then I decided it would be embarrassing.

tjagain

all my bikes are 26″. Its no problem getting mainstream parts.

kerley
    Free Member

Load of tyres and rims still around. Straight steerer suspension forks (which is default for most 26″ wheeled bikes) not many options so that will be the problem.

It is after all just rims, tyres and forks that are different to any other bike.

lairdburkart
    Free Member

I was in local shop for bits.(p7eaven)
    But one look at my old bike and they basically all came out to point and snigger.
    Just got my 10 year old lad a XS 27.5 so he can point and snigger as well. I was worried it would be awkward for him with the big wheels and slackness. How wrong was I. He flies on it.

Daffy

24″ is still a thing for kids bikes, I’m guessing 26 will be too, but there will be more selection for 27.5 and 29. Much as the industry seems to be moving away from 27.5, they can’t really kill it completely as not everyone fits on a 29er.

MoreCashThanDash

All four of us on 26″ mtbs ChezMC. Spare pair of wheels and a couple of still boxed tyres in case of emergencies. Eldest has outgrown his Inbred though.

Dickyboy

Witnessed this kind of attitude in my lbs not long before they closed down 🤔

5plusn8
    Free Member

26 is a good size.
    Loads of tyres and rims, forks harder to get.
    People are just wallies and go with what they read in forums/magazines or are told by their mate Dave down the pub.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Ah, thnks OP. Got it.

Recon or Sektor see to be the limit for buying new sus forks. Like everyone says, other parts are plentiful.

I like to keep a pair of Schwalbe Hurricane for summer. Fast-rolling, voluminous and tough tyre. Still in production last I looked?

grtdkad

Still ride my 26” Cannondale Flash here (it’s much faster and more capable than I am nowadays) plus my ‘spare’ Scott Scale if I fancy a change but my 16yr old daughter has kind-of first dabs on the Scale.

Oh, and a bunch of spare wheels and tyres in the garage just in case.

julians
    Free Member

Bought my son a brand new whyte 403 last summer, it has 26 inch wheels, seems perfect for him.

anagallis_arvensis

@tonyd my boy is 10, he’s quite tall for his age, I got him a 27 wheeled Marin Wildcat, its a was bike and still a bit big but he loves riding it.

milfordvet
    Free Member

There was nothing wrong with 26. There still isn’t. The wheels accelerate faster, are lighter, stronger and turn quicker. Whole bike is lighter. When I get back on my 26 it reminds it’s more fun than 29 or 27.5.

There’s still stuff available just not as much as the bigger wheelers. Just stock up when you see it. I could rag my 26’er, 29’er not so much despite all the ‘traction and rollover’ Don’t feel inferior just coz it’s a 26.

26 will come back just you watch.

Jamze

Some shops seem to be like that. Others seem to be happy keeping the older stuff going. I fancied spending a bit of money on new rims on my 26er wheels a while back. All the bits available. The closest bike shop wouldn’t even have the conversation. Kept taking me over to a 29er in the shop, saying I should buy that.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Much as the industry seems to be moving away from 27.5,

I hope they don’t next bike will be 27.5″ as I am not about speed but like the feel of small and nimble.

garethjw

Finding tyres was what caused me to bid a sorrowful farewell to my last 26er. Loved the bike, wanted to keep it, but simply couldn’t find tyres. Even NOS tyres were a struggle to set up tubeless because the rubber was ageing, so I had to accept that the time of 26inch wheels was over. Sob!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Virtually all the bikes we service are 26″. Most of them have canti brakes as well.

There’s a lot still out there!

5lab

24″ is still a thing for kids bikes, I’m guessing 26 will be too

I’m not sure it will be – the difference between 24″ and 26″\27.5″ wheels is usefully enough to warrant the existance – you’d be on a compromised bike if you lept from 20″ to 26″ – but the gap from 26″ to 27.5″ is next to nothing (12mm more height above the axle, 24mm more height overall)

13thfloormonk

Why oh why won’t riders support their LBS???

On a slightly more serious note, I would try to find a better LBS.

I get this. I don’t blame the shops, life must be difficult enough as it is keeping up with trends just from the last couple of years alone, but I more or less actively avoid dealing with shops now, it rarely ends well and at best requires me to laboriously explain what it is I want, who distributes it, why I want it over whatever alternative they’re trying to persuade me to buy, and then pretty much always pay full RRP when I’ve just done all the legwork and could have got it 15% off (and probably a lot quicker) online.

But again, I don’t blame the LBS, I just don’t think there is any worthwhile money these days dealing with retrogressive (me) and/or fussy (also me) customers.

matt_outandabout

@tonyd How old are your kids Matt?

They moved onto 27.5″ at aged 11-13 depending on their height.
    As ever, looking for *properly* small by tape measure geometry is important, not just a sticker that says small. A couple of mm on reach and a smaller rider struggles (mrs_oab!). They all moved up at around 5’/150cm in height.

EDIT: look for low BB and short cranks – so many small frames have same BB height and a 175mmm crank. We ran shocks a touch soft on some of our bikes to help initially with this (not ideal).

Here you go: 2017, last 26″ bike with a then just shy of 5′ 13 year old.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/21ixSJ1]October Half Term 2017[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

This then became a 27.5″ medium at 5’4″ in 2018:

He swapped that winter 2019 – large 27.5 as a 5’6″ rider
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2jAA6cX]Lockdown Adventures[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

(He is now 6’…) 💪🏻🚴🏻‍♀️🤙🏻😲

dovebiker

I used to work in a bike shop. When we serviced 26” wheeled bikes we used the cheapest tyres and parts cos that’s all the owners wanted to spend on them – Tourney mechs and cheap wheels and tyres from Raleigh.

kerley
    Free Member

But again, I don’t blame the LBS, I just don’t think there is any worthwhile money these days dealing with retrogressive (me) and/or fussy (also me) customers.

Bike shops are not really for the likes of us and never will be. I am likely to know more about the type of bike I ride that the vast majority of anyone that works in a bike shop.
    Combine that with knowing EXACTLY what part I want and an LBS is next to useless as they simply won’t have it. They could order it in but so can I (and for less money)
    LBS are for customers who walk in looking for a new tyre and walk out having chosen a tyre from whatever selection they had in the shop. 99.9% of the time the shop would not have the exact tyre I want.

roverpig

I’m confused too. What has the resale value got to do with the LBS unless the OP wanted them to buy it? Surely they don’t refuse to work on a bike just because the wheel is a less common size.

The guy refusing to help is also weird. Which bit of his toolkit does he think won’t work on a 26″ bike. Even an inner tube (assuming it is 27.5) will work just fine.

It’s a funny old world.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Sounds like you just have a bad bike shop. I keep my 26 frame for sentimental reasons too.

Last time I took it into a bike shop in middle of London the mech stripped down and serviced my 20yr old bombers and ordered everything in that it needed no prob. 26 tyres will still be in production for long time.

If passerby offers a tube just take whatever they have and make it fit. Better than walking home.

Gribs

Continental are still producing plenty of tyres in 26″ but they seem to be reasonably hard to find other than by ordering directly from them.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Wheel size is like suspension travel, frame size and bar width. You run what fits and what you prefer. Nothing more to it than that.

nickdavies

26 aint dead, still running my 26 enduro and i have a garage full of tyres for it.

Replaced it end of last year with a 275 and tbh after a few rides i really shouldnt have bothered. Can see the old one getting more use than the new!

It a bit like when you replace a car to avoid potential costs – you end up spending thousands of pounds to avoid possibly spending hundreds. Man maths eh.

endomick
    Free Member

26″ is now a kids size so it should be around for a while, the issue with old 26″ is usually the headtube that won’t accept tapered forks.

poah
    Free Member

only if its a crap BSO – plenty of bikes come with 44mm headtubes which means you can fit an external cup

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘26 inch dismissal , old fart ramblings’ is closed to new replies.