Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • 26 inch dismissal , old fart ramblings
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

The reason you can’t get 26″ parts is because they can’t make them fast enough right now. Look at eBay, there is an utter lack of kit because everyone has bought it. This time last year you had the pick of whatever you wanted. Tyres are landing and going out of stock in no time flat, you couldn’t find a Maxxis DTH in the UK until recently.

I’m not sure it will be – the difference between 24″ and 26″\27.5″ wheels is usefully enough to warrant the existance – you’d be on a compromised bike if you lept from 20″ to 26″ – but the gap from 26″ to 27.5″ is next to nothing (12mm more height above the axle, 24mm more height overall)

Nonsense, dirt jumpers and tourers will ensure there is a supply for years to come.

only if its a crap BSO – plenty of bikes come with 44mm headtubes which means you can fit an external cup

And plenty of good 26″ bikes came with a standard external cup. Unless the Trailstar, Inbred, Pitch and Shore we have are BSO’s.

devash
    Free Member

Most of the riders where I live in Spain are still on 26 inch wheels and frames. The dry weather and lack of road salt in winter means that bikes last forever.

I know Schwalbe / Maxxis still do the vast majority of their catalogue in 26 inch wheelsize, so you should be covered for a while yet.

crazy-legs

Yeah, tyres are still around if you can persuade your LBS to order them in (most don’t keep 26″ tyres in stock or at least, nothing decent, it’s all cheap commuter stuff).

What is going to be the downfall of my 26″ wheeled MTB is the forks. They’re noticeably on their last legs now – allegedly TF Tuned will still service them (they’re still listed on their website) so I’ll enquire – but there’s very little out there now that can feasibly replace them.

montgomery
    Free Member

It’s the little ones that will get you…in my case, it’ll be when I break one of the 36h rims on my 14 year old but perfectly functional 36h Hope Pro 2 hubs. At that point, do I move heaven and earth tracking down a decent 36h 26″ rim, buy a new (probably lesser) 32h wheel in an obselete size – or accept the inevitable and invest in a 29″ wheelset of equal quality (so, £600) for the 29″ frame and rigid forks I’ve acquired over the last 12 months courtesy of HMRC tax refunds…?

kerley
    Free Member

Or just get a used 32 hold Hope hub giving yourself a much better choice of rims and have a replacement wheel for under £100.

The ONLY challenge with 26″ wheel MTBs is getting new forks – assuming the frame is 1 1/8 straight steerer and assuming you run suspension forks.
    If you don’t know how to easily get rims and tyres I suggest going on a Google course…

p7eaven
    Free Member

Wheel size is like suspension travel, frame size and bar width. You run what fits and what you prefer. Nothing more to it than that.

Excepting affordability/budget- priorities. ie my hardcore hardtail rusted through so now I have 26’ wheelset and 140/50mm forks looking for a used 26er frame, rather than a rider looking for a modern hardtail. Having never ridden a hardcore hardtail other than a 26er, am not even sure what I’d prefer!

Gribs

What is going to be the downfall of my 26″ wheeled MTB is the forks. They’re noticeably on their last legs now – allegedly TF Tuned will still service them (they’re still listed on their website) so I’ll enquire – but there’s very little out there now that can feasibly replace them.

When mine need replacing I’ll be buying a 27.5″ set with the possibility I’ll need a new boost compatible front wheel if 100mm ones aren’t available.

TheBrick
    Free Member

depends if you have straight steer or tapered…

5plusn8
    Free Member

depends if you have straight steer or tapered…

This. I have two BNIB 26″ forks, with tapered steerers. I bought as safety’s for my kids 26″ bikes, but now we are all 27.5
    I have tried to sell the forks and there is not much interest in buying them. If they were straight steerer then I’d be rid of them in no time.
    There are a few companies that will press a tapered steerer out and replace with a straight one. ND tuned is one I used to press out and replace a fork leg for me.

mattyfez

Recon or Sektor see to be the limit for buying new sus forks. Like everyone says, other parts are plentiful.

Also Suntour do straight steer raidons and epixons.., and as above, if your head tube is 44mm you can fit either straigh or tapered steer forks with a partial/full headset replacement.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’ll need a new boost compatible front wheel if 100mm ones aren’t available.

If it’s 15mm you can get spacer sets for less than £15, 20mm converts down easily as well. I got my Hope XC converted to 15mm for about £50odd IIRC (that was for a machined spacer set and new bearings).

The ONLY challenge with 26″ wheel MTBs is getting new forks – assuming the frame is 1 1/8 straight steerer and assuming you run suspension forks.

As said you can get new steerers pressed in, it’s not that much of a pain.

This. I have two BNIB 26″ forks, with tapered steerers. I bought as safety’s for my kids 26″ bikes, but now we are all 27.5

What forks?

5plusn8
    Free Member

PM me. Don’t want to divert thread with stealth ad.

Mackem

I gave up and bought a new bike. I think I’ve just about replicated the feel and ride of my old faithful but in a 27.5″ guise.

rickonwheels
    Free Member

I’m confused too. What has the resale value got to do with the LBS unless the OP wanted them to buy it?

I think the “can’t get owt for that” comment in the OP meant “can’t get any parts for that”. (e.g. Wheels/tyres etc.), rather than referring to resale value?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Translation = CBA to order anything that isn’t in our suppliers catalogue.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘26 inch dismissal , old fart ramblings’ is closed to new replies.