Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 26 ain't dead it's evil!
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I already quite fancied one…
    I still can’t afford one…
    But damm!

http://m.bikemag.com/videos/2014-bible-of-bike-tests-roundtable-reels-evil-uprising/

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Want

misinformer
    Free Member

WANT??

Was looking at one also until about a month ago i came across a thread in november which featured tales of woe …similar previous evil tales of woe

roverpig

So, they start by saying that wheelsize doesn’t matter and the final line is “back to 26 it is then”. I guess this could run for a while 🙂

AlexSimon

I’ve been looking at this for a while.
    I love they way they describe the rear suspension – everyone talks about it popping and egging you on. That’s what I like in a bike.

I have been put off by the rear tyre clearance issues though. I’m keeping an eye on how that develops. Not being able to fit some common tyres does seem a little daft.

It’s difficult to find out how many other bikes ride in a similar manner though – there must be some!

mattjg
    Free Member

I have been put off by the rear tyre clearance issues though.

presumably not an issue with the beautiful desert riding in the vid.

roverpig

Don’t they say that the rear tyre clearance is fixed for 2014 and it can take a 2.35 Hans Dampf, which is pretty big.

mattjg
    Free Member

to be fair, yeah

“For one, the rear tire clearance sucks. There’s barely room for a 2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic. This didn’t bother us on Sedona’s dry singletrack, but if we were riding muddy trails, we’d be banging our heads against the handlebars. Evil’s owner, Kevin Walsh, says that 2014 versions will fit a 2.35 Hans Dampf.”

AlexSimon

True – but nobody has seen a 2014 version.
    There’s also a paint cracking problem between the aluminium and carbon parts of the swingarm (which I can understand).
    There was a rumour that a 100% carbon swingarm was being worked on, but does anyone know if that’s done for the same ‘2014’ frame?

Gotama
    Free Member

A mate has one and it is a fast bike, certainly fires you out of the berms and doesn’t seem to get hung up on roots etc. However his headset bearings were knackered in a little over 2 months (come as part of the frame) and the rear tyre clearance is absolutely shocking, albeit the original version. Be interesting to see how long the frame bearings last….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If I hadn’t got my lovely Tracer, this would be what I would have got.

AlexSimon

Talking of a Tracer – does that ‘pop’. The last Intense I rode was the 5.5 and it was really really playful (I rode the Singletrack review bike). But it also had really bad pedal chain growth which put me off it. (completely took your pedals from under you when going over a uphill rock).
    Did you ride one? How does the new Tracer compare?

jamj1974

The area they were riding in that video looked amazing! The bike sounds great too!

soobalias
    Free Member

its crabon, but its a 7.2lb frame
    its got naff all tyre clearance
    and its shock is buried so if it arrives poppy, it has to stay poppy

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s not a soggy bike and likes to power out of corners where you can get a bit unstuck with the low BB! Mine in the 275 variant built fairly light as an all day all mountain bike rather than winch and plummet. It’s a wicked climber built like this too. You have test ride one as it’s a big ” investment”

AlexSimon

soobalias – Member
    its crabon, but its a 7.2lb frame
    its got naff all tyre clearance
    and its shock is buried so if it arrives poppy, it has to stay poppy

I guess that’s one less we’ll see out on the trails.

1) True, it’s not light. Similar to the Cotic Rocket in steel. I wonder if the extra material has contributed to the fun. The Kona process is also heavy but many really seem to like that too.
    2) Not if you buy the 2014 – it’s the price for really short chainstays I guess. Not everyone wants short chainstays, but at least this suits those that do.
    3) Or takes you an extra couple of mins to adjust

AlexSimon

Thanks Buzz – I’m definitely going to ride some bikes. It’s been a while because I’ve been trying not to tempt myself!

AlexSimon

You’ve probably all seen this but just in case:
    [video]http://vimeo.com/61450977[/video]

Amazing video with Luke Strobel and amazing music from Rodriguez.

kelvin

Sedona rules.

One day I’ll take a Rocket there…

AlexSimon

Luke Strobel just posted a new video.
    I’ve no idea whether this is sped up or not (I had my suspicions about that one above, but it’s unbelievably quick.

[video]http://vimeo.com/84548980[/video]

29erduude
    Free Member

Well that ^ got me stoked !

AlexSimon

Chest cam footage is so much better than helmet cam isn’t it?

29erduude
    Free Member

More realistic of speed if that’s what you mean plus it’s in it’s rawest form of filming.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘26 ain't dead it's evil!’ is closed to new replies.